VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is it possible to make subtitle *.ass to look like in the video? (I tried to make gif out of mp4 and it came out 4.88 Mb)
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/73038864/sample.mp4 (354Kb)
    Video with hard sub, I want to do same with soft.

I see fade effect (fad tag), rescaling by Y axis (fscy tag) and blur, but tags "be" and "blur" can only blur border and not text themself. Placing 2 layers of text, one with border, another witout and blurring them doesn't look any like in sample.
    Any other options? or is it impossible with *.ass?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    According to http://docs.aegisub.org/3.2/ASS_Tags/ you should set the border of letters to 0 (/bord0) and then the blur disables the letters themselves. I havent had a chance to verify this but the above page does explain it this way.

Be aware that some viewers/players do not honor all ass codes, interpret them incorrectly and work better with *. SSA subtitles than *.ASS subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Budman1 View Post
    you should set the border of letters to 0
    Originally Posted by BashOrgRu View Post
    Placing 2 layers of text, one with border, another witout and blurring them doesn't look any like in sample.
    Thanks for reply, I'll try again with different parameters. I want both letters and border be blurred. And just now I thought about using shadow instead of border.

Originally Posted by Budman1 View Post
    Be aware that some viewers/players do not honor all ass codes, interpret them incorrectly and work better with *. SSA subtitles than *.ASS subtitles.
    I'm doing it to myself and my player interpret all fine. But to the future: what's the difference between *.ssa and *.ass? As far as I understand *.ass is improved version with several new tags than *.ssa.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Well, if top layer will be with text, border and shadow set to 0, fade, scale by X or Y axis and blur and bottom layer with same text and effects, but with shadow not 0, it will be almost same...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The difference between SSA and ASS is indeed more tags and altered meanings for some with ASS. This is why some players and viewers that were originally set to play ssa tags and never updated, balk at new tags or fail from the mere fact that the position of these tags are incorrect when they are decoded as the old ssa tags.

I have found in some instances that ASS will not display at all but changing too SSA, they play fine.
    Quote Quote