VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone. I'm the new kid on the block and I have just bought a Sony CD/DVD Player, Model DVP-SR320 as my last one had bitten the dust just before Xmas. To my great surprise, it could only play Region 4 DVDs and no other! I have a lot of great DVDs which I bought from the USA and the UK which I can't play! Is there a way of re-setting the new player to Region 0 or Region-free?

Thanks if you can help in any way.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Contact Sony Australia and see if they can "fix" it. Australia MAY be the only country where you may have a shot at it....MAYBE.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi hech54. OK - I'll give it a go and see what happens. It's late in the evening here, so I'll contact them tomorrow morning.

But better still, if it's a matter of simply resetting/flipping the microswitch, then please, someone, tell me and I can do it tonight and which only takes a few minutes. All I need is a picture of which one. That would save me the trouble of contacting Sony in the morning.
    Last edited by Chris dS; 7th Jan 2016 at 09:16.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Chris dS View Post
    But better still, if it's a matter of simply resetting/flipping the microswitch,
    It doesn't work that way.....it never has.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also have unhackable Sony.Only solution is to make your own region-free dvd's using dvddecrypter>dvdshrink>imgburn.The cost of blank dvd's is minimal.The concept of a universal dvd player is abhorrent to manufacturers,it limits their "freedom" to more wealth.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys. Thanks for your comments on how to reset my DVD player. Looks like I'll have to try contacting Sony after all. It's a timely reminder not to buy Sony products again....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sony are the hardest to hack - I doubt if they will cooperate. You are better off buying on-line a region free 'out of the box' and maybe switchable Zones for Blu ray. The brands that you can generally do it with a code entered on the remote - some require entering the code on a different remote control.

Kogan sell region free zone switchable as does JBHiFi from time to time but you will probably have to buy from either Sydney or Melbourne. There was a firm in Melbourne that did a chip substitution but I think that avenue is closed now. Considering the number of people immigrating to Oz with their gear and discs the whole thing is silly. The ACCC determined region coding to be un-competitive whilst Federall law allows it. Hence the loop hole.

I would stay away from name brands and go for the so called "Yum Cha" brands of direct imports.

http://www.gattiweb.com/bluraymod.html
    Last edited by netmask56; 7th Jan 2016 at 19:57.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Considering the number of people immigrating to Oz with their gear and discs the whole thing is silly. The ACCC determined region coding to be un-competitive whilst Federall law allows it. Hence the loop hole.
    You're right: it's just ludicrous and illogical! It's like having vinyl LPs which wouldn't play on modern turntables....

Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    I would stay away from name brands and go for the so called "Yum Cha" brands of direct imports.
    Had one of those cheap and cheerful "Yum Cha" brands until just before Xmas. It played all regions DVDs but it lasted a mere 15 months from new!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Pioneer that is region free but fixed zone B for Blu ray from JBHiFi and an older Sonos that is Blu Ray switchable. I've long given up playing off a standalone and copy all my new discs main movie onto my network. Put the originals safely away....
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi netmask56. That's so inconvenient, isn't it?

I'll post Sony's answer to my query on this thread anyway - but don't be too surprised at their answer (I think you may already know what it's going to be...)

BTW, I have an LG VCR model GC990W which was in use until the whole Aussie TV network went digital a couple of years back. The LG is analog - is there a way of setting it up so it can be programmed for digital reception?

The VCR works just fine; but sadly, can only be used as playback-only for obvious reasons!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    BTW, I have an LG VCR model GC990W which was in use until the whole Aussie TV network went digital a couple of years back. The LG is analog - is there a way of setting it up so it can be programmed for digital reception?
    In the US, they sold Digital to Analog converter boxes for older analog TVs to work when they converted the TV system to digital.
    They were fairly cheap and something like that may be available in your location to work with a analog VCR.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi redwudz. A D/A set top box? A basic one should do the trick. It could be the quick and easy way to get an analog device up and running instead of taking off the cover and messing around with its innards.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The answer is a resounding NO. However if you really want to record digital TV to an analog low resolution VHS then you could just use a plain old digital set top box (many brands) but you would have to set 2 timers one timer for the set top box to switch to the channel and one for your VHS recorder. Considering how cheap PVR's are today like Topfield and Beyonwiz you should bite the bullet and retire the LG. The BW T4 can record up to 8 programs simultaneously the T3 can do 6 and the T2 and do 4 and that model also is 1080p media player.You can either record to an internal drive or an attached drive including a USB stick if it is say 64GB or over a network. The Topfied is older technology but can do 4 simultaneously. There is no DRM or encoding so you can transfer to your computer to make an archive DVD or Blu Ray if you wish. They both record MPEG2 and MP4. We don't have any of the restrictions that exist in North America. On the other hand virtually all the big brand models have recording/copying restrictions as they are basically geared for the US market conditions. We follow the European model (in most things actually) so variants of the Enigma2 PVR's are freely available locally.

The BW T4 also has a HDMI record in function so you can record Foxtel or Netflix etc. They all provide programmable commercial skipping from 5 seconds to 30 minutes if you want. Avoid any product marked "Freeview" they provide nothing unique except recording restrictions
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi netmask56. All I need that VCR for is to record a single programme (doco, etc.) and on just one selected channel. In short, just to help out my main HDD device when all its channels are already programmed on timer.
    Last edited by Chris dS; 9th Jan 2016 at 02:39.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If that's all then a small set top box, probably available for as low as $35. Aldi often advertise them. Target etc. Just feed the composite video (yellow) into the comp in of the LG and the 2 RCA audio cables. I think I did that way back in 2001 or 2 when digital TV started..... and then got my first Topfield PVR in circa 2005? Good luck. Make sure the set top box can decode MP4 as AUstralian TV is about to gradually change over to that format. Channel 9 and 7 are already doing it and it won't be too long before they all do. Really old gear won't hack it. Most modern TV's are OK

http://www.mediaweek.com.au/nine-is-broadcasting-its-channel-in-hd-but-not-for-everyone/

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/computers/gadgets-on-the-go/australia-embraces-mpeg...03-gi4blu.html
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks netmask56. Shouldn't be too hard to locate a box which is MP4 compatible... I'll pop into the "Good Guys" next week.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll post Sony's answer to my query on this thread anyway - but don't be too surprised at their answer (I think you may already know what it's going to be...)
    ".......Thank you for your email and for your patience while awaiting a response.

I understand that your DVD player is not able to play discs that originated from the US and UK.

Upon checking the specification of this unit, unfortunately it will only play DVD discs that is region code 4. We apologise but unlocking the player is not supported....
    "

Enough said!
    Quote Quote