Thread
  1. All right, this is how I see it!!!

NERO

Pros:
    1. Best image quality
    2. Easiest method
    3. Can use forward and backward, and menu DVD remote control buttons

Cons:
    1. Flickering in images. Anyone knows how to get rid of it?
    2. No transitions
    3. No menus
    4. No sound
    5. 99 photo limit

FLYVCD

Pros:
    1. Good photo transitions
    2. Can add mp3 file
    3. Good picture quality
    4. Easy to use

Cons:
    1. Poor menus
    2. Transitions too fast
    3. Large final file

ULEAD PICTURE SHOW

Pros:
    1. Great menus
    2. Good picture quality
    3. Can add mp3 music to menus and shows
    4. Easy to use

Cons:
    1. No transition effects
    2. Large file

My choice so far is Ulead, picture quality is good enough.

If I could get rid of the flickering in Nero, I would be tempted to call it my preferred choice. However, even considering I've got a 29" TV and picture quality difference between Nero and Ulead is noticeable, it is not enough to put aside the menu and music support advantage of Ulead. Also with Ulead you can always pause the image so you don't need to use the forward and backward buttons as with Nero, after all it is a Slide Show!!

Anyone tried the Philips VCD Toolkit method described in the How to section? It looks quite difficult.
    :D
    Quote Quote  
  2. I forgot a couple of things:

FlyVCD:

Pro: can add text to photo

Con: Aspect ratio problems. Can anyone help?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have, you still get alittle flicker on some. I too haven't figured that one out yet. I do all my stills in TMPGEnc. It doesn't do low/hi res only one or the other. But thats ok since my systems accept hi-res. Plus I wrote alittle prog. that generates the batching and creates the XML for the 1980 pics. I too tried Nero, FlyVCD and ULEAD. Came to the same conclusions. Except I could never get FlyVCD to work properly, it alway hung my system.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Aspect ratios are covered in the How to's section of creating still menues/pics
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by thegig
    I have, you still get alittle flicker on some. I too haven't figured that one out yet. I do all my stills in TMPGEnc. It doesn't do low/hi res only one or the other. But thats ok since my systems accept hi-res. Plus I wrote alittle prog. that generates the batching and creates the XML for the 1980 pics. I too tried Nero, FlyVCD and ULEAD. Came to the same conclusions. Except I could never get FlyVCD to work properly, it alway hung my system.
    Thanks for your comments. I'm a bit of a newbie to this and don't know about XML (sounds great to fit 1980 pics!!). Where can I find out about it?

I'm trying to find out why in GFlyVCD the aspect ratio is wrong (in Ulead is fine) but no luck yet.

Also I'm going to look for a solution to the flicker problem. I've found out that this due to the way a TV displays a pic. In Ulead there is an option to select antiflicker filter and works fine.

Dashur
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    XML is what is used to play/organize/control a VCD. Do a search on XML out in Google, you'll find a ton of info. It's similar to Html used to make web pages. As far as 1980, that's how many segments that can exist. As far as aspect ratios see:
    http://www.geocities.com/medinotes/vcd/mpeg_still_images.html#aspect_ratio
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    I find Ulead PictureShow the best for me that gives me the best picture quality and ofcourse the MP3 music background facility is a must.

Stelios
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dashur

If I could get rid of the flickering in Nero, I would be tempted to call it my preferred choice.
    I have never used other program than NERO, but I think if you deselect the "flicker free" selection, you'll end up with the same quality as NERO...

Just a guess...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nero is great for picture files but I've found that it will hang if any of the files are incomplete (such as what happens with many downloaded images) or corrupt. I don't really want to search through 2,000+ jpegs to find the ones that are incomplete or corrupt. Any other programs (preferrably free or demo)?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by dashur
    All right, this is how I see it!!!

FLYVCD

Pros:
    1. Good photo transitions
    2. Can add mp3 file
    3. Good picture quality
    4. Easy to use

Cons:
    1. Poor menus
    2. Transitions too fast
    3. Large final file

Hi, I am new to this in every way ! so I hope this post turns up in the right place anyway I am having probs with FLYVCD so maybe you can help, everything goes ok and I can play the mpg file that's created on the computer , but it won't play on my dvd player , it recognises it as a vcd but does nothing, I have no probs with Ulead picture show and also Xatshow (have you tried this one ? ) so maybe I am missing something somewhere ?
    cheers
    Ray
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by thegig
    XML is what is used to play/organize/control a VCD. Do a search on XML out in Google, you'll find a ton of info. It's similar to Html used to make web pages. As far as 1980, that's how many segments that can exist. As far as aspect ratios see:
    http://www.geocities.com/medinotes/vcd/mpeg_still_images.html#aspect_ratio
    Thanks for the info! I've checked it out and it works!! Fine thing about Nero and Ulead is that you don't have to worry about it because they adjust the picture to fit perfectly and, if necessary (like in vertical photos) they put the black fillin necessary!!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jopereira

If I could get rid of the flickering in Nero, I would be tempted to call it my preferred choice.
    I have never used other program than NERO, but I think if you deselect the "flicker free" selection, you'll end up with the same quality as NERO...

Just a guess...
    Hola!

Where is that option in Nero?
    Quote Quote  
  13. The aspect ratio issue has more to do than just simple borders. I strongly suggest people read the article on the above link more closely. It has to do with how S/VCDs don't use "square pixels" while images on the PC do. If this is not adjusted, they images displayed on TV will be slightly off.

It should be noted that VCDEasy (http://www.vcdeasy.org ) can encode both "REAL" MPEG stills (using TMPGEnc is not creating real stills and they don't work on some players -- furthermore, there are ?quality issues) and also adjust the aspect ratio issue as described in the link.

XML is not used by a VCD for PBC control per se (indeed, VCD is older than XML). VCDImager (that excellent open source VCD authoring engine/program that is behind VCDEasy and TSCV) uses XML as a descriptive script so that the user can author content onto a VCD. When it comes to make the image of the VCD, VCDImager looks at the XML file and the source files and compiles the CUE/BIN image as appropriate.

As for flickering hi res stills, this can be partly alleviated by using a "de-interlace" filter on the source file (e.g., ?Photoshop).

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by rayw1
    Hi, I am new to this in every way ! so I hope this post turns up in the right place anyway I am having probs with FLYVCD so maybe you can help, everything goes ok and I can play the mpg file that's created on the computer , but it won't play on my dvd player , it recognises it as a vcd but does nothing, I have no probs with Ulead picture show and also Xatshow (have you tried this one ? ) so maybe I am missing something somewhere ?
    cheers
    Ray
    It appears FlyVCD is not a very solid program since sometimes it hangs up the system. HAve you tried using the maximum (30 seconds) sequence? How good is this Xatshow?
    dashur
    Quote Quote  
  15. It appears FlyVCD is not a very solid program since sometimes it hangs up the system. HAve you tried using the maximum (30 seconds) sequence? How good is this Xatshow?
    dashur[/quote]

I havn't had any problems with FLYVCD hanging, and havn't tried 30 sec sequence, does it make a difference ??
    Xat is on a par with Ulead, good quality pics easy to use, but same as Ulead has no transitions, which is what I want !
    Quote Quote  
  16. Anyone tried the PictureToTv program ??
    http://www.picturetotv.com/

cheers,
    Flipper.
    Quote Quote