VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi All, I'm new here. I'm in need of some advice.
    I live in the UK. I have ordered a recently released bluray from Amazon.com and it is Region A.
    I am having trouble deciding how to go about this.
    I have both a PS3 and a PS4 PAL (Could I do something with these to allow them to play Region A?)
    I have seen that a selection of cheap Toshiba BDX Blu ray players can be hacked to support multiregion quite easily, but I have also heard there is a risk of a newer bluray requiring a firmware update to play.
    Or, Should I just order a new bluray player from the US and use a voltage converter? I have imported games before from the US and they display fine on my TV. So I dont think there'd be a problem apart from having to purchase a voltage transformer.

What would be the best option? I want to do this naturally as cheap as possible.
    I can't seem to find anywhere selling any Toshiba BDX1100/2100/3100 in the UK for under £100

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You could rip it and burn on a BDR. It will remove the region coding.

But you need a blu-ray writer....and you might have to shrink the bd to 25GB...and bdr might not work on all bluray players....and then there is cinavia protection...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would do nothing until you receive the BR disk. Amazon is very inacuate in it's discription's. Most disk are region free so it may play just fine.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I did consider that. But I have seen other forums in which the bluray is tested and definately region A locked.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Look the disk up on blueray.com they often have tests that will answer your question. I buy European BR's that are described as Region B locked but are actually region free. Why buy when you may not have a problem?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you have a BR burner that seems your cheaper option. Rip the disk and burn to BD25 or BD50.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Looks like that is my only option.. shame I can't use the actual copies. Damn region locks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by OrangeAlx View Post
    I did consider that. But I have seen other forums in which the bluray is tested and definately region A locked.
    I'm sure in the UK you can find a zone switchable player, certainly you can in Australia and we are a tiny market in comparison. You can even buy US Zone A players here (in Chinatown and the markets) and they are multivoltage. Most PAL TV's can handle US stuff anyway.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hi,
    take a look at this website,they are a bit more pricey than a stock player but I bought a bdt 500 from them a year or two ago and it works great

http://www.tps.uk.com/?tab_name=Panasonic&tab_id=52&choice_name=MultiRegion&choice_id=178
    Quote Quote