VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    maybe later i might consider a magnavox.
    what about the magnavox/funai dvd/dvr recorders? will the built in ATSC tuner display the EPG channel guide the same with 1 channel at a time programing?
    for $300 and up i would think it will do a little more than the mediasonic hw-150pvr and the i-view3500stb.
    Last edited by chuckl; 6th Dec 2015 at 22:06.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by chuckl View Post
    maybe later i might consider a magnavox.
    what about the magnavox/funai dvd/dvr recorders? will the built in ATSC tuner display the EPG channel guide the same with 1 channel at a time programing?
    for $300 and up i would think it will do a little more than the mediasonic hw-150pvr and the i-view3500stb.
    No. None of the Magnavox DVD recorders has a program guide. All of them have VCR-like system where you enter the date/days, start time, stop time, and channel/connection. They do provide program information about any channel that you are watching live.

The Channel Master DVR+ has a program guide, with guide data service included in the purchase price for the lifetime of the device. It does need an Internet connection to download the guide data. It only has HDMI out for video. There are no Yipper or other analog connections, and no RF pass-through.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 7th Dec 2015 at 00:07. Reason: spelling
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    check this out. this is nothing but bureaucrat doubletalk writin in a way to make it difficult to understand.
    if politics stayed out of the way a lot of problems would be solved.

http://www.atscforum.org/documents/PSIP_guide.pdf
    https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=psip%20data
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The problem isn't politics. The problem is the patents on program guides that apply in the USA. If Rovi or TiVo file a lawsuit, it may be possible to win, but a small company can't afford to go to court to fight them, and can't afford to license the patents.
    http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/07/netflix-nukes-rovis-we-own-tv-guide-patents/
    http://techcrunch.com/2015/09/09/tivo-sues-samsung-for-patent-infringement/

The program information and limited program guide in most converter boxes is derived from PSIP data, and PSIP data can be used to build a grid-type guide for multiple channels covering a week or two (if someone licenses the necessary patents). ..but the PSIP program data can be quite good or not very helpful depending on what information the broadcaster chooses supply. The date and time in the signal can be accurate or wrong as well. If the date or time is wrong, it causes recording errors if an OTA box with a DVR function does not have its own clock which is independent of the PSIP data.

The VCR-like timers aren't as convenient as program-guide based recording, but they do work and allow setting exact start and stop times. Program-guide based recording may not provide the means to adjust the start and stop times if necessary.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 7th Dec 2015 at 00:53.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've not had QAM in years.
    Everything is encrypted these days.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    I've not had QAM in years.
    Everything is encrypted these days.
    The OP in this thread wants to record regular free OTA TV, not cable, although that was not initially explained.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OP from #1. sorry if i was not clear
    maybe record. the basic idea is to get a good OTA broadcast DTV ATSC tuner with a DVD/DVR recorder to dump the digital to analogue converter to fix the video problems from the converter box and go full digital for OTA DTV from the mountain.

suggestions in the thread were Tablo, channelmasterDVR+, mediasonic hw-150pvr, mediasonic hw-180pvr, i-view3500stb and magnavox with an ATSC tuner with DVD or DVR recorder.

i'm open for my suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
  8. A Windows PC with Windows Media Center and a dual ATSC tuner card like Hauppauge's? Or with Hauppauge's own software (which includes TitanTV's guide).
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OP from #1. sorry if i was not clear
    maybe record. the basic idea is to get a good OTA broadcast DTV ATSC tuner with a DVD/DVR recorder to dump the digital to analogue converter to fix the video problems from the converter box and go full digital for OTA DTV from the mountain.

suggestions in the thread were Tablo, channelmasterDVR+, mediasonic hw-150pvr, mediasonic hw-180pvr, i-view3500stb and magnavox with an ATSC tuner with DVD or DVR recorder.

i'm open for my suggestions.
    You forgot about TiVo, which was suggested by Orsetto. They are not just for cable TV subscribers. Some current model TiVo DVRs would allow you to watch/record OTA TV, and have a grid-type full guide, However you must either pay for lifetime (of the machine) guide service up front or pay a monthly fee. They also need an Internet connection to receive guide data updates.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    >>You forgot about TiVo, which was suggested by Orsetto.>>>>>
    yep, my bad, sorry TIVO.
    i kinda like the tivo for $49.99 but you still need a subscription to use the DVR.
    maybe later. not now.

jagabo>>>A Windows PC with Windows Media Center and a dual ATSC tuner card like Hauppauge's? Or with Hauppauge's own software (which includes TitanTV's guide).>>>>
    thanks for the suggestion but using the PC, hardware, software and updates is not for me. too much work.
    thanks.
    Last edited by chuckl; 7th Dec 2015 at 21:30.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @ chuckl I think we have exhausted all the current known possibilities. There are a few other inexpensive converter box/DVRs with HDMI out, but they have the same limitations as the mediasonic hw-150pvr, mediasonic hw-180pvr, i-view3500stb, and not as many positive user reviews.

There is no stand-alone OTA converter box/DVR with HDMI out, plus component video out, plus a grid-type all-channel full program guide that costs $100 or less and has no ongoing service fees currently available in the USA.

[Edit]In another post in this thread, you mentioned One Guide, which is the guide for the XBox One's current TV viewing app. It would be illegal to use the free One Guide data (or the free WMC guide data) for a non-Microsoft DVR. This is likely another solution which would require more effort or more money than you are willing to spend, but in 2016, there will be a OTA TV DVR app for the XBox One. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-ones-free-tv-dvr-launch-territories-confirmed/1100-6429620/ You will need an XBox One, a compatible USB TV tuner, and an external HDD.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 8th Dec 2015 at 13:24.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @ chuckl I think we have exhausted all the current known possibilities. There are a few other inexpensive converter box/DVRs with HDMI out, but they have the same limitations as the mediasonic hw-150pvr, mediasonic hw-180pvr, i-view3500stb, and not as many positive user reviews. >>>>>

yeah, maybe.
    if the makers made a better DTV ATSC tuner, DVD,DVR recorder and a oneguide i might buy. i dont record that much because the programs repeat alot.
    i'm sure others might be interested in a better solution. it will have a higher price tag. i think it will sell.
    alot of people want to cut the cord and just watch DTV. maybe record a program sometimes if unencrypted. alot of stuff on DTV repeats all month.
    i don't like the one channel at a time channel guide. i have to bring up each channel one at a time then use the guide to see whats up on that channel.
    another option is to set my PC on hybernate/sleep in power options then hit a key to wake it up to check the oneguide on the web. i dont want to do that.

i dunno if this will work.
    maybe the makers could give us an idea how much it would cost for a decent ATSC DTV tuner with the onechannel guide, HDMI, Yipper cables, video out, L/R audio and digital audio out and maybe another unit with the DVR, PVR option. then we could vote on it before it goes into production.
    Last edited by chuckl; 8th Dec 2015 at 21:01.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i received the Mediasonic hw-150pvr on thursday night.
    i like it but i could not get any of my universal remotes to work it. looked in the code reference and did a code search. not one universal worked.
    If i cant find a universal to work it i will return it. ill spend a few days looking for a factory original.
    what good is it if the original breaks and cant get a universal remote to work it?
    does anybody know of a universal that will work all or most functions with the EPG and menu?
    Last edited by chuckl; 11th Dec 2015 at 02:59.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i received the Mediasonic hw-150pvr on thursday night.
    i like it but i could not get any of my universal remotes to work it. looked in the code reference and did a code search. not one universal worked.
    If i cant find a universal to work it i will return it. ill spend a few days looking for a factory original.
    what good is it if the original breaks and cant get a universal remote to work it?
    does anybody know of a universal that will work all or most functions with the EPG and menu?
    Logitech Harmony remotes officially support the Mediasonic hw-150pvr. Logitech maintains a vast device database online for programming their remotes. The other alternative is a universal remote with a learning function, which allows you to manually program the universal remote by pressing keys on another device's remote as directed. Inexpensive non-learning universal remotes are not going to work.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the inexpensive universals usually do what i want for basic functions like power-on/off, play, menu, guide, change channels, volume and maybe a few more.
    the original factory remote replacement can be expensive.
    ill do a search for logitech in my area.
    thanks.

the HD channels for 720p, 1080i and 1080p with the HDMI output are good.

some SD 480i channels are better and some are not.
    it's a good improvement. for the price you cant beat it.

as to it's longevity only time will tell.
    thanks everybody for the suggestions.
    Last edited by chuckl; 11th Dec 2015 at 14:01.
    Quote Quote