VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I don't know where to ask this question.

Recording s-video feed on a Panasonic DMR-EZ28.
    Source is a Comcast DTA HDMI out through a conversion box.

BTW, the HDMI to s-video box tests out to being 720 input even if it can handle higher and lower.

I'm satisfied with the results, not perfect, definitely not bad.

What tools are available to report on the technical details of recorded content? That is, tools to give frame rate, bit rate, pixel dimensions, and beyond.

Yes, I know I can right click a file and get a properties sheet. But that doesn't really explain why the picture is so good.

What I mean is, using coax output from the DTA the recording is SD and it really looks like a 20 year old VCR tape. Through the conversion setup recording is still SD dimensions but the colors are better and it fills the screen properly. By "properly" the best example is screen graphics on the perimeter. They are cropped, top bottom and sides with coax. With s-video and 4:3 forced it looks goofy but everything is there so 16:9 looks great, but it's still SD being reported in properties. Old cinemascope type movies, letterbox, look darn good.

Can someone tell me what's going on? Happy but confused. No need to get all verbose or anything, keywords or a link will do. TIA
    Last edited by daddy0; 25th Nov 2015 at 11:37. Reason: super moderator suggetion
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    This section works fine if you don't know where to post or if it cover several sections. But I guess dvd recorders would work also.

Now just click on Edit and Go Advanced to change your thread title to something better....

You can use mediainfo to get most details from the video files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Output type. S-Video always looked better than coax (even from the same source (VCR & tape) to the same display), which is why it was so popular with those looking for quality. So it's not surprising you are seeing the same difference when recording.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote