VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,
    I know this has been asked in the past, but it was several years ago, so something might have become available since then.
    Basically I would like to know if such a thing as dual layered rewritable discs exist and where to get them?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    I believe there was an official specification made for this type of disc, but they were never produced.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes I've never seen a re-writable DL DVD and I believe the same is true for BD although a SL BD @ 25GB already holds ~3x a DL DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thank you! I've looked virtually everywhere, so my guess is they were never officially released like kerry56 stated.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree with the last line of that link:

"Unfortunately, the new format requires entirely new burners, is only available at 2x write speeds, and no shipping dates or details are available. Sounds like JVC's got a winner on its hands ... yeah."

Totally agree with that!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    JVC/Taiyo Yuden is abandoning the optical disc market entirely in another two months. The last of the great TY blank DVD's and CD's will roll off the line at the end of December, so odds of seeing any DL RW discs from them are nil. Even engineering samples from 2007 might be impossible to locate, and are probably in the hands of collectors of optical media. (Yes, I know a few of those)
    Quote Quote