VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a Panasonic camcorder - with a built in HD and sd card slot. It is model SDR-H40P. It has a USB port and another one that says AV. It is half a circle and is a little bit less than 1/4" Can anyone tell me what this is? I am trying to connect this to my computer so that I can capture the video on the computer. I am guessing that this unknown cable - if it can be connected to the computer - would be faster at pushing video through to the computer than the USB port.

Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Half a circle? Never seen that. AV ports on camcorders usually use a cable like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DLLU7QW

What's the model number?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I looked at accessories for the camera here. This appears to be your camera's AV cable http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/P-K2KZ9CB00002

The AV cable allows displaying the video on a TV. You would need a SD video capture device and capture software to connect the with a PC. It would probably be better and faster to transfer the files containing your recordings via the USB cable.
    Quote Quote  
  4. It looks like unusually_quite is right. I missed the model number in the original post. I doubt capturing analog video will be faster than USB transfer if you have a USB 2.0 or better port on your PC. Analog capture will be real time only -- ie, 1 hour of video will take 1 hour to capture.
    Quote Quote  
  5. So with USB, can I watch the video on my computer as it is happening?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Haopengyou View Post
    So with USB, can I watch the video on my computer as it is happening?
    Not usually. No harm in trying, though.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Haopengyou View Post
    So with USB, can I watch the video on my computer as it is happening?
    You would need to try using the Windows file transfer software supplied with the camera to find out.

If you transfer the file from the camera you will have an exact copy of the original recording made by the camera. Capturing the video and audio using the camera's S-Video or composite connection will provide a lower quality copy.
    Quote Quote