VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I want to send a DDP file to a friend so he can check over my DVD project. I am using Sony DVD Architect Pro to create my DDP File, on a PC. If I send him the LAYER_0 folder container my IMAGE.DAT file, how can he burn it to DVD to test it?

He is using a Mac.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If what you sent contains GIGABYTES of data, it should not be a problem if he has the same exact program.....but it what you sent is megabytes or kilobytes of data then the actual VIDEO of what you authored simply cannot be the complete DVD for him/her to burn.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    If what you sent contains GIGABYTES of data, it should not be a problem if he has the same exact program.....but it what you sent is megabytes or kilobytes of data then the actual VIDEO of what you authored simply cannot be the complete DVD for him/her to burn.
    It is the complete DDP file, just under 4.7 GB. But he is on a Mac and doesn't have the same software.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If a DDP file is a "Sony Only" file, how do you expect him to utilize it if he does not have the same software? I have a ton of .vpx files here but they are useless to everyone except Avast users.
    Know what I mean?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    If a DDP file is a "Sony Only" file, how do you expect him to utilize it if he does not have the same software? I have a ton of .vpx files here but they are useless to everyone except Avast users.
    Know what I mean?
    A DDP file isn't a Sony file. A DDP file is a format for specifying the content of optical discs, including CDs and DVDs. DDP is commonly used for delivery of disc premasters for duplication.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    And?
    DDP is a proprietary format and is the property of DCA. The file format specification is not freely available.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes, that's what a DDP is, so you have answered yourself without realising it. A ddp is used ONLY at the replication factory and only read by verification & mastering machines (PCs, not Macs). A ddp in its current state is of no use to your friend - what you should be sending him/her is an ISO discimage. This should have no problem being mounted by Apple Disc Utility. The problem then is that a Mac is a poor device to do DVD "proofreading" because there is such little helpful software. Even simple playing of (uncomplicated) discs leaves a lot to be desired.

Dvda can make an iso in the same way as it does ddp and cmf.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 17th Oct 2015 at 10:31.
    Quote Quote