VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Child of God
    Search Comp PM
    Recently my mouse is having trouble keeping a grip on stuff. For example, when I try to move files around by clicking and dragging, the mouse lets the files go. Sometimes it even deselects them. And it seems like the quicker I try to drag the files, the faster they're let go on my screen. This becomes increasing aggravating when I'm trying to move a few simple things from one place to another.

Sometimes I also click something just once and it acts like I clicked it twice (this can be annoying as I end up opening files I didn't intend to).

I haven't changed anything about my computer arrangement. My mouse, a wireless Logitech (I don't know the model #), is near to the signal receiver. There's also no low battery light on on my mouse. I've also tried resetting the mouse and receiver, but it hasn't helped.

Could this be a problem with my computer (gosh I hope I don't have to reinstall the system and all), or is it that my mouse is just old? I've had it for a long time now.

And before anyone suggests it, I don't have a secondary mouse so I can't try that one out to see if this issue is the mouse's fault.
    "They will walk after the LORD, He will roar like a lion; indeed He will roar and His sons will come trembling from the west." - Hosea 11:10
    Quote Quote  
  2. Sometimes mouses get dirty, sometimes they get worn out. Some models are more susceptible than others. You can try cleaning all the moving parts and the lens (if applicable.) But you say you've had it for a long time? If it's more than three years it probably time to move on.

And why on earth don't you have a second mouse for just such an emergency? The computer didn't come with a wireless logitech.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the battery charge is very low, you often will loose the bluetooth (or whatever) connection with a wireless mouse, before anything else.
    Having trouble keeping grip of items may be related to the mechanics of the buttons on the mouse. This can be related to dust and other dirt, or the mechanics may be been worn out. Corrosion may influence electrical circuits that determine the state of the buttons.
    Try opening the mouse and have a look. If you see something that shouldn't be there, then try cleaning. If not, it may be the end of life for this particular mouse.
    Quote Quote