VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, for the last week, give/take, I've been plagued by this pop-up. Its especially annoying because it "cancels" out my ability to see the balloon tips when I hover the mouse over the topics. Its on the front page (every time I load up the browser each day) and shows up randomly when i refresh the page, and many other forum pages.

note: the canceling out the balloon tips happens when I close that pop-up. (i select the [cancel] button).

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Not getting it here (and I don't have anything extra installed to avoid it)...
    (using FF 40.0.3)

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. 1) adblock is available for opera

2) you don't have enough entries in your hosts file - doubleclick.net and dozens of their variants are usually listed on the common blocking addresses
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Doubleclick is from my Google adsense banners. But I have never seen any such popup....but I have never used Opera then.

It looks like an opera problem. Same issue: http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1105991-download-on-doubleclick-ad-file-on-every-pageload/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. It must be related to the Opera version i am using on my "desktop" pc. It is version 12.17 under xp home, and it won't install to the latest version anymore. I think I had this problem since last year, maybe. So I guess I will live with it until I find a way to fix the opera installation, and who knows when that will be. Anyway. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Block cm.g.doubleclick.net with your hosts file. But that only addresses the symptom.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use the same version of Opera (12.17) with Ghostery (available free from Opera) with no problems.

Go to Tools -> Extensions -> Get Extensions and that will take you to the Opera add-ons page (in a new tab).

You will find it under the 'Privacy & Security' page. Used it now for a couple of years and it works great.

Ghostery is also available for Firefox.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here is something new that started happening to me this past week. My laptop has been infected by this bug:

BSOD : DllRegisterServer failed with the error code 0x80040201...
    So some time last week or so, I downloaded one of the RTMP tools in the tools section so that I could download videos on my laptop. I believe it was RTMPdumpHelper, since I've been using that a lot this week. And I started receiving this adware popup, its quiet horrible and I loose control of my laptop and have to close down hard, by holding the power-button on the laptop for 4 or more seconds, then it shuts the laptop off. Then I wait a moment, and reboot and shut off the internet Fn+F2 and then open my browser (opera, latest version) and as soon as it starts to show the tabs, I close them (from the last few I newly opened) and then quickly close down the browser again, wait a moment and then reopen it. Then Opera acts normal again. If I don't follow these stesp (I learned through trial and error) it continues to pop up that message. see message popup in the link below.

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-bsod-dllregisterserver-failed/

There is some instructions on how to remove it in that link. I guess I will have to install that adware app, ADWCleaner to remove it, unless someone suggests otherwise.

Also, it seems that the ads are showing up again, dispite the host file install method.

I just want to inform videohelp about this so others can make the decision whether to download it or not.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    doubtful it was the file from here. both the 32 and 64bit versions were previously scanned clean and i just had them re-scanned on virus total and they are both perfectly clean. besides they have been stored locally on vcdhelp for the last 2 years and no one's reported them infected.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote