VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello!

First of all,sorry my bad English...I need to learn more.

I recorded my videos to a Samsung S2 Portable 3.0 External Hard Drive.I use Sony Vegas Pro 11 for editing,and when I'm try import .avi video(s),then Vegas is freeze.When I try copy to my computer it write:"Cannot read from source file or disk".When i try to open it,i got a error massage:"Bad file descriptor".

I realized what happend...my External Hard Drive prefer a USB 3.0 port,but my computer is not a new one,therefore i only have USB 2.0 port(s),and transmission was slow and probably that is a problem.

My question is,How can i repair my videos?

Kex
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Using a USB 2.0 connection, or even a USB 1.1 connection isn't likely to cause those type of data transfer problems. USB 3.0 is backwards compatible.

But I would never plug an external HDD into a USB hub as that could cause problems.

I would check the USB connections and if the USB HDD has a separate power supply, use that.

You could also try updating your existing USB drivers in your PC and try using different USB ports.

To repair it, you need to try to recover the damaged file, maybe using something like ISOBuster.

And welcome to our forums.
    Last edited by redwudz; 27th Aug 2015 at 02:30.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    But I would never plug an external HDD into a USB hub as that could cause problems.
    Maybe I don't follow here. But that drive is meant to be plugged into a USB port.
    Quote Quote  
  4. CRC errors indicate bad sectors on the hard drive, not a problem with the AVI files, per se. I would run CHKDSK on the drive with a full scan and error repair. After that copy whatever you can off the drive to another. Then retire the drive, or maybe use it as temporary storage for non-critical files.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    Maybe I don't follow here. But that drive is meant to be plugged into a USB port.
    A USB hub would be an extension from a USB port. Sometimes externally powered or not.

For most devices it's better to be plugged directly into a USB port.
    And on a desktop computer, all ports may not be the same. My main PC has a couple of USB controllers on board.
    It never hurts to try a different port if you are having problems. With laptops, probably only one controller unless it also has USB 3.0.
    Quote Quote