VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. A bit long so bare with me. I'm trying to burn a DVD with Mac but I want to customize my own chapters. Now before anyone states the obvious, I've downloaded Toast and it doesnt do what I want it to do. It allows me to create my own chapters but I tried burning a DVD and even though it told me initially there was still some space on the DVD, while it was writing the DVD I got the 'there's not enough space on this disc' pop up. The version of Toast Im using also doesnt have the Fit-to-Disc-Compression option. Also Toast really annoys me. Almost everyone I try burning a disc with it I have to keep adjusting the writing speed until it gets the job done. My preferred program for burning DVDs is Nero but I dont have a PC computer and cant afford one currently and I tried loading it to my Mac through CrossOver and got nothing. I was successful in downloading two other Windows DVD software I'd used previously, DVDStyler and ConvertX, to my Mac through CrossOver but neither detect my Mac's SuperDrive. My only option with those is to make an ISO folder which I dont wanna do. I downloaded a Mac version of DVDStyler a few times but each time I open it I always get a 'DVDStyler encountered an error and had to shut down' type error and never get to use it. I dont know what else to do. I just wanna burn a DVD on my Mac where I can customize my chapters and compress my footage onto the disc if needed. Are there any other DVD softwares for Mac, other than Toast, that I can use to do all this????????
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thread moved to the mac forum where you can get more help.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Some answers here: http://www.macworld.com/article/2459440/how-to-burn-movies-to-disc-in-an-idvd-less-world.html

Also, Encore may still work, but the process of getting it is rather convoluted.

Your main issue is that Apple as a matter of policy "moved on" from disks several years ago.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I also have been having problems with the SuperDrive to my Macbook. The other week ago it kept spitting out discs when I put them in. Yesterday I put a disc in and the Mac read it. Today I put the same disc in and the Mac spat it out again. Today I bought an external drive online which I'll test out when it arrives. I'm hoping maybe why DVDStyler or ConvertX didnt work was because the drive is faulty and cant detect it. We'll see.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I am sort of investigating the same topic atm.

RE: the macworld article
    in the Apple discussions forum there were many good advices and some of them have actually used several Apps. While Burn is easy and nice, they stated that the picture quality is inferior to iDVD and Toast.

@ OP
    - iDVD is still an option, if you want fancy themes. Unfortunately you have to buy the old grey install discs of any mac that has iLife 08, 09 or 11 on it. 08 and 09 is preferred, because they come with all themes that ever existed, and you can update for free to iDVD7.2.1 (the version from iLife 11). iLife 11 has only the themes of the last two iDVD versions. OF course you can also try to find rare iLife08, 09 or 11 packages instead of the grey labled machine specific DVDs (it doesn't matter that they are machine specific, since the second DVD plays on every Mac).

Mind, of course iDVD doesn't let you choose, e.g. if you'd better like PCM or AC3 (at least in my old iDVD5).
    Originally Posted by crissrudd4554 View Post
    #0# ...customize my own chapters. Now before anyone states the obvious, I've downloaded Toast
    #1# while it was writing the DVD I got the 'there's not enough space on this disc' pop up.
    #2# Almost everyone I try burning a disc with it I have to keep adjusting the writing speed until it gets the job done.
    #3# DVDStyler and ConvertX, to my Mac through CrossOver but neither detect my Mac's SuperDrive. My only option with those is to make an ISO folder which I dont wanna do.
    #4# I downloaded a Mac version of DVDStyler a few times but each time I open it I always get a 'DVDStyler encountered an error and had to shut down' type error and never get to use it.
    #5# I dont know what else to do. I just wanna burn a DVD on my Mac where I can customize my chapters and compress my footage onto the disc if needed. Are there any other DVD softwares for Mac, other than Toast, that I can use to do all this????????
    0= did you see, that you can even put pictures for the menu to show up? I missed that at first.
    1= did it mean the DVD disc or your HDD, because it si maybe saving a temporary file? (If DVD disc, you can "save as image" and then see, if it goes right with the side and after that burn it.
    2= this is something I was told by when I started with Mac OS 9 15 years ago, that for movie and audio discs one should never choose max, but a low speed. I choose 2x as a precaution. When I am in a hurry, I choose "best" in Toast and I get along well. I had 4 and 5 and 7 and 8. All on PowerPC-Macs (I would have to try 8 on my Intel-Mac). Never had a problem with speeds. Only sometimes writing errors for lead out or afte rthe inspection, but that is because of the discs used itself, I use unbranded discs. Cheap but can fail (brands like Verbatim fail, too anyway, so...). Since I had no problems and Toast 8 costed me only 5,-EUR on Ebay, I sugguest you search for about just any old version of Toast on Ebay and replace the Toast 6 download with that.
    3= can't you just save as Image and then burn with Toast? Toast can burn about every Image.
    4= I had the same issue, DVD-Styler2.9.2-mac.dmg would not open, then I looked for older versions on their page. There was 2.9.2multi-mac.dmg. That opened and I got to letting it encode a file, but it always stops at 7/xminutes. It is funny, because it doesn't matter wwhat file format, what lenght etc. It always stops at 7/of-some-minute. I didn't bother to try version 1.8 because I was bored, "weakened" and a bit pissed then. (I will try CrossOverX later, maybe, not sure about how it compares to Toast in picture quality).
    5= if Crossover works, try creating an image file and burn it with Toast.

ON SUPERDRIVES:
    those slot in drives tend to get unrealiable over the years this has been so since the iMac G3. More so, if you use it rarely. If you use it often enough, it will get broken later. Sometimes it helps cleaning it. There are tips on the applediscussion forums about using a creditcard and a certain cloth.
    Am looking forward to hear, if the new drive will work.

Oh, one thing with incompatible drives and Toast!
    - when I had OS 9 and and external Freecom-CD-burner, Toast5 was able to burn.
    - then I upgraded to 10.2 on the same Mac and Toast5 didn't recognize the Freecom-CD-burner anymore
    - then with Toast 7+8 on other Macs (PowerMac G4 and ibook G4) it worked again with their internal Superdrives (the one in the PowerMac was of course a third party one, one was LG the other Samsung).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by crissrudd4554 View Post
    ...I downloaded a Mac version of DVDStyler a few times but each time I open it I always get a 'DVDStyler encountered an error and had to shut down' type error and never get to use it. ...
    As I said I had the same issue, user usually_quiet now was so helpful and informed me, that it is not the app, but because I am stupid. DVDstyler 2.9.2 is for Mac OS X 10.10 only (though I don't know why there is a 2.9.2multi-mac version as well, if it is not for multiple versions).

Do you not have Mac OS X 10.10, too? Or did it crap out on you even under 10.10.

Also usually_quiet told me, that the developer has a Mac, so it mus work on a Mac.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @MovingParts It's now plain that your biggest problem is not ignorance, but unshakable faith that everything you have done is correct and that you know more than all of those trying to help you, in spite of ample evidence to the contrary. Good luck to you, smartass.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I don't know anything, I am just asking questions when things do not fit together and obviously I am not the only one having issues with the app.

It is still not logical, why there is a
    1) 2.9.2-mac install
    and
    2) 2.9.2-multi-mac install

if both do not work on 10.10, what does the multi then stay for?

+1 for your nice tone. (explanation: he first wrote jackass).

I agree I have been overly picky, but I tried to sort out what didn't fit together for me.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MovingParts View Post
    I don't know anything, I am just asking questions when things do not fit together and obviously I am not the only one having issues with the app.

It is still not logical, why there is a
    1) 2.9.2-mac install
    and
    2) 2.9.2-multi-mac install

if both do not work on 10.10, what does the multi then stay for?

+1 for your nice tone. (explanation: he first wrote jackass).

I agree I have been overly picky, but I tried to sort out what didn't fit together for me.
    DVDStyler like most free software is available for download at several third-party sources, but the author doesn't control what goes on at third-party websites. He only has control over DVDStyler.org and his Sourceforge repository. I can find no official 2.9.2 for OS X binary with "multi-mac" available at DVDStyler.org or DVDStyler's SourceForge repository. I will have to join at DVDStlyer's support forum and ask if anyone knows the origin of this "multi mac" version.

Yes, I originally typed jackass, when I meant smartass. However on further reflection jackass now seems entirely appropriate.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Sep 2015 at 15:37. Reason: spelling
    Quote Quote