VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Just bought a set of dvds from england and they wont play on my samsung p190...im so mad right now i got ripped off...plz tell me how to "hack"if possible or what i can do...thanks very much!!!! UGH!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It's a Samsung, meaning it's basically impossible to get a usable region hack for it. It's also a Samsung, meaning they don't give you consumer-enabling features such as multi-region.

The region that this machine accepts will be printed on the back of the device. Very likely (since it is mainly sold in USA), it is Region 1. So you can play All Region (aka Region 0), or Region 1 discs, and that's IT. Bad news: discs from England are Region 2.

Also, you will likely have the associated (and more problematic) difficulty of having a disc that by having originated from England are PAL-formatted, and USA-originated devices are notorious for not playing non-NTSC-formatted discs (which of course includes PAL-formatted ones). And there is NO hack to fix this, because the device likely wasn't designed to convert between formatting standards, nor to "fake" it.

Your best bet is to rip the disc on a PC (which should remove the region coding), and then watch either on the PC as-is, or convert (resize, framerate adjust) to PAL and re-author & burn to new NTSC-formatted backup discs (that should then be playable on your system)

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    you can try the region hack listed here - https://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/samsung-dvd-p190/10461
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thats all awesome but i have no clue how to do any of that...what a disappointment. Can i buy a dvd player cheap that i can hack? buy a cheap converter? buy an all inclusive dvd that has all regions cheap? let me know my cheapest easiest route if i wanted to buy something? Thanks!!!
    Quote Quote  
  5. October...i saw that and have no idea...it doesnt make sense...for example...i turn it on and just hit "repeat? when i do that a symbol comes up saying i cant hit that function...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Cornucopia, i meant that im dumb at this is disappointing-not your advice
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by mikep1383 View Post
    October...i saw that and have no idea...it doesnt make sense...for example...i turn it on and just hit "repeat? when i do that a symbol comes up saying i cant hit that function...
    here the instructions in that post your are trying to figure out originated from a very similar Samsung deck, so gives these a try. Also note date the posts are made and if/when people found other ways to get it to work if the old way does not. Just read the posts, this link makes it a bit more clear with the uncheck-check numbering

https://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/samsung-dvd-p191/10089
    Last edited by mazinz; 30th Jul 2015 at 21:53.
    Quote Quote  
  8. mazinz- as soon as i hit "repeat" the red symbol appears...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Let me ask -- are you in the US? Would you mind spending $30.00??

If you want, go to Target, they are selling this deck for $30.00 It may have mostly French wording on the package, ignore that

Philips DVP2800 and just to reiterate this is a dvd player only, not a bluray player

I bought mine this past May and the deck was made in January 2015 Hack still works. Someone else posted in July 2015- hack still works

https://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/philips-dvp2800/12196

this deck will also play and convert PAL format to ntsc. So you can now play those dvds from England. Don't expect it to have a ton of features (only output it has are analog/rca jacks), but it plays nicely and will do what you need
    Quote Quote  
  10. mazinz- i am in the us and have a target down the street...30 would be perfect! so i will still have to hack it? there arent any players around that are hack free and just play any region? i have a bad bad feeling i will by the philips and still no be able to change the region...im bad at this
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by mikep1383 View Post
    mazinz- i am in the us and have a target down the street...30 would be perfect! so i will still have to hack it? there arent any players around that are hack free and just play any region? i have a bad bad feeling i will by the philips and still no be able to change the region...im bad at this

these directions could not be any easier

1. Power ON the DVD player with no disc inside
    2. Goto SETUP and go to Preferences
    3. With Preferences highlighted, Press NEXT CHAPTER>|, PREVIOUS CHAPTER |<, NEXT CHAPTER>|,
    PREVIOUS CHAPTER |<
    4. The OSD will show the current Region Code
    5. Press the Navigation Up or Navigation Down buttons to
    select your desired region, or 0 for region free
    6. Press OK to confirm your region selection
    7. Press Home to exit Preferences

the only machine I ever came across that was region free (for dvd only) out of the box was the Seiki SR4Kp1 4k bluray deck. Though it may have been a fluke. Dvd region was set to 0, but if you need to change anything that too had a similar code screen like the philips. So if you cannot tackle that..

at least the philips is just pushing the button on the remote, no grids no highlighting numbers
    Quote Quote  
  12. manzinz...there is no "set up" on my remote!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by mikep1383 View Post
    manzinz...there is no "set up" on my remote!
    PLEASE pay attention- that code I just listed is FOR THE PHILIPS deck I mentioned you can buy at target
    Quote Quote  
  14. and if you mean after"setup" then theres definitely no "preferences"...this sux
    Quote Quote  
  15. lol! that wasnt clear...ok gotcha
    Quote Quote  
  16. and when i use an american disc i just switch back? thanks so much-i hope its in stock.
    Quote Quote  
  17. no you dont need to if you change it to region 0 it stays region free- going to make you a vido on how easy it is to do with the Philips deck
    Quote Quote  
  18. hopefully buy it tomorrow-if they have it. thanks for everything
    Quote Quote  
  19. PS the only other thing you will want to do is after you set the region, in the preferences screen go to the "video" tab and make sure "tv system" is set for NTSC, this way it will always convert the PAL format signal over to ntsc so you can watch it on your tv screen
    Quote Quote  
  20. THanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote