VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello. Is there an advantage to ripping a BluRay in a particular format?? I ripped the same movie (using ACROK) in AVI, MKV, and "direct copy". "Direct copy" did the job in 24 minutes with a final GB count of 26.84 GB. MKV took a whopping 3 hrs to rip and the final GB count was only 12.67 GB. How could it take 6 times longer to rip but only have half the GB's? Ripping in AVI took 1 hour 15 min with a GB count of 13.70.
    I'm just trying to decide which format is best for me.... once the BRay is ripped I will copy it to my NAS for viewing on my home theater via a Dune media player.
    Thanks for any help and/or explanations.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    When you are "ripping" to avi it is also reconverting/shrinking it. It's no copy mode and you will lose some quality.

If your player supports mkv and you have the hdd space use mkv. You can also use MakeMKV rip directly to mkv. It is free in beta mode.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks....
    Yes, my Dune player supports MKV files, it plays them just fine. My "problem" with ripping to MKV was the amount of time it took (at least using ACROCK). 3 HOURS to rip one BluRay movie. That's just way too much.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Using MakeMKV won't take long compared to completely re-encoding the video. MakeMKV doesn't compress anything, so your file sizes will be very similar to the original Blu-ray.

You'll need to get new beta keys from the MakeMKV forum each month or so to continue using the program for free. Or you can purchase it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can you tell me if the ripped copy will contain the original menus so I have a choice of languages or subtitles and extra features?? The ripped MKV, AVI and direct copies I tried DID NOT include any of this...only had the movie.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I never have used ACROCK. I only use MakeMKV and have never been able to get menus or extras.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    PS. I just downloaded the MakeMKV... it does not recognize my BluRays, just says "no disc".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try BDRB in highspeed BD25 mode,it's much faster.
    Quote Quote