VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been editing in Sony Vegas Pro 12 and can use DVD Architect to make a DVD but that seems a retrograde step - after all, 720 x 576 PAL (the old 4:3 format/ standard def) is a waste of space these days - the images are soft on a HD screen be it computer or Tv screen.

So I want a great looking 1920 x 1080.

Is there a way to create n burn an MP4 format onto DVD with menu's. And if it's possible, is there a difference in the way you produce it for a DVD player or for use in a computer only. Thx
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There is no such thing as an "MP4-DVD", and DVD players (almost?) NEVER accept HD material (they do occasionally upscale to HD from SD material).

You choices beyond just creating an HD MP4 file for use in computers/generic media players is: AVCHD & BD.
    BD requires/expects you to be burning to BD disc media. AVCHD, however, does have an option for burning to DVD. But it still needs to be played in a BD player that accepts/supports AVCHD as well. FWIW, DVDArchitect should be able to create a AVCHD-on-DVDmedia disc for you.

re: MP4 with menus, there were a few threads here this past year that went into the few apps that can create menus for MP4. The upshot of it all is that you have to jump through a number of hoops, and that there seem to be a couple of different & competing methods/formats for menus, so no one format is universal, and so many, many player apps do not properly support menus on MP4 at all. Just warning you.

Of course, most "generic file player" apps built into BD and other media players have no trouble playing generic AVC-in-MP4 HD files (within the bounds of the players' Level+Profile hardware constraints), and most have their own "menu system" similar to a file explorer built into the app, so that might be good enough for your needs. And in that case, you don't necessarily need to be putting them onto DVD media for it to work.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thx for the reply Cornucopia

I have just found out the client wants the programs to be played only through a computer - so that narrows down what I need to supply.

Now that a computer and not a desktop DVD player will be used, can you clarify any further about what my options are now.

I will try to find those links you mentioned about - "the few apps that can create menus for MP4." That will be great.

Pity AVCHD cant be played on a computer

I am surprised an organisation like Sony, with DVD Architect is still selling a technology that most ppl just don't use now - SD res DVD. Why on earth can't they and many others supplying software for the current technology (HD) devise a system using the perfectly viable DVD disk technology with MP4 or similar high res and will also accept a menu structure.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jakgeoffsub View Post
    Why on earth can't they and many others supplying software for the current technology (HD) devise a system using the perfectly viable DVD disk technology with MP4 or similar high res and will also accept a menu structure.
    ...Because the market for such a product is miniscule.

A more common strategy is to essentially create a website -- either online, on a disk, or on a thumb drive -- where the menu functions are html pages that navigate to various clips. It can get quite elaborate and fancy, but that's the underlying structure.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jakgeoffsub View Post
    Pity AVCHD cant be played on a computer
    AVCHD can be played on a computer. You just need a software player that can handle the format. PowerDVD, for example, can play AVCHD or Blu-ray menus.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Menus never took off because they are useless. Putting videos in directory and naming clips properly IS the menu. Any device can show it on screen while navigating in that directory.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Only useless to some people, _AL_.
    I know plenty of people and clients who appreciate and expect menus.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. I meant that "useless" to be outside of DVD or Blu-Ray World. Menus are very much expected there.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think I like the idea of creating a website on a disk. My cxlient will need 5 copies of a training series I have prduced for them and they wont want to be bothered having to pay for let alone install PowerDVD no matter how good it is.

I need to deliver the product out of the box ready for them to start training ppl straight away.

I could go the old DVD with menus route but I am looking to maximise the image quality of AVCHD to MP4 on screen.

Can you point me to where I can start this web on a disk process, I'd much appreciate it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Pity about the minuscule market share, seems a waste of a good medium. I'd still love to see a menu based DVD/MP4 system work.

Is there a way of creating menus for MP4 via a thumb drive?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jakgeoffsub View Post
    I think I like the idea of creating a website on a disk. My cxlient will need 5 copies of a training series I have prduced for them and they wont want to be bothered having to pay for let alone install PowerDVD no matter how good it is.

I need to deliver the product out of the box ready for them to start training ppl straight away.

I could go the old DVD with menus route but I am looking to maximise the image quality of AVCHD to MP4 on screen.

Can you point me to where I can start this web on a disk process, I'd much appreciate it.

Easiest way is probably to get someone to do it for you .You can do fancy things with HTML5, even beyond DVD style navigation, but it can get very complicated quickly

But... Encore (officially discontinued, but still accessible if you are an Adobe CC member) had a very cool "Flash" function which made a HTML/web based version of the same DVD/BD project in HTML format, complete with navigation, motion menus, transitions, etc... just like DVD or BD. You don't even have to know a single line of HTML code ; it just converts your DVD or BD project into HTML

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/short-and-suite/authoring-a-flash-based-dvd-for-the-web/
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jakgeoffsub View Post
    Pity about the minuscule market share, seems a waste of a good medium. I'd still love to see a menu based DVD/MP4 system work.

Is there a way of creating menus for MP4 via a thumb drive?
    No, because MP4 doesn't really support menus officially (at least not the type you're wanting to have)

It would have to be software based, custom player, custom application - lots of headache as Corncopia already alluded to
    Quote Quote  
  13. Another option you might look at is TMPGEnc's proprietary PGMX format , but you need their free player to be able to play it

http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tpxc.html

It looks very easy to make simple menus /templates

I haven't tested this personally, there was a bit of hype when it was released but it kind of fizzled out. Not sure why, maybe because of the "proprietary" nature and lack of open standards
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looks interesting poisondeathray but the client wont want to install stuff they find intimidating.
    Im not a member of ther Adobe club.
    Thx tho
    Quote Quote