VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I like the windows 8 app for playing personal videos on my win 8.1 htpc. the problem is the mkv file that I'm watching has the ability to turn on subtitles. The win 8 app only shows cc and that doesn't appear to work. Any ideas or work arounds? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried install some subtitle filter? Like xysubfilter, vsfilter or maybe lav filters.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Have you tried install some subtitle filter? Like xysubfilter, vsfilter or maybe lav filters.
    No but I will and report back. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried installing all 3 and I couldn't get subtitles to work. I have limited options using the default windows 8 video player. I press cc but nothing happens. I of course can use vlc and turn on subtitles but their desktop program isn't as nice using a remote on htpc. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Upgrade to windows 10. I think it now has full mkv support.

You could also try ffdshow and disable windows built-in decoders with Preferred Filter Tweaker (be very careful when using it).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i already have ffdshow installed...i installed the other i dont see .mkv files is it maybe h.264?...im on the fence with win 10 i love the menu on win 8 for htpc...maybe someone will make software for win 8 menu haha
    Quote Quote