VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You aren't going to find a smart-encoding editor that cuts on any frame and works with all popular video and audio formats. Editors that cut on any frame and use smart encoding have to be able to figure out how the original video and audio was encoded and replicate it to avoid re-encoding the entire file and produce a result that plays correctly. That isn't easy for formats that allow many encoding options, so relatively few formats are supported. If an editors cuts on any frame and re-encodes the entire file, it doesn't have to be as intelligent, so it is easier to write one that works with more video and audio formats.

If you want a portable editor, you almost have to stick with freeware. I can't remember trying any commercial editors that do not use an installer, maybe because of the way they are licensed.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Midnight..
    Note...none of this is a requirement in the video field, either for the industry or the amateur
    What all of this is YOUR desires.. this is what you want ..

We all want things we can't have..it's human nature

BTW..if you so scared of installing things on your PC...
    Get and install sand boxie, and install and run the software in a virtual machine
    We're the real pc can not be infected. By anything that might happen
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    If you want a portable editor, you almost have to stick with freeware. I can't remember trying any commercial editors that do not use an installer, maybe because of the way they are licensed.
    Solveig MM Video Splitter is a commercial product, and it has a portable version (you just need to select this option before installation).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    Midnight..
    Note...none of this is a requirement in the video field, either for the industry or the amateur
    What all of this is YOUR desires.. this is what you want ..
    I can say Virtualdub with ffmpeg input plugin would be almost ideal for me, but... how is it possible in a modern world to have AVI export (which is useless for me) as a single option, but no MKV support??? External Encoder feature cannot be used in combination with direct stream copy, that is the problem...

Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    You aren't going to find a smart-encoding editor that cuts on any frame and works with all popular video and audio formats.
    Please, don't misunderstand. I was asking about frame/keyframe-accurate navigation, this is not the same as frame-accurate editing...

I need to quote myself:

Originally Posted by MidnightUser View Post
    But I don't need a frame-accurate editing (keyframe-accurate cutting is enough).
    So I don't even need the highest level of accuracy for editing...
    Last edited by MidnightUser; 4th Jul 2015 at 13:24.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Solveig MM Video Splitter is a commercial product, and it has a portable version (you just need to select this option before installation).

Then I doubt that you will find any thing closer to the ideal product you want. None of the half-dozen or so commercial editors I have tried had a portable option, those that smart-rendered accepted fewer formats, and none provided perfect navigation for TS files recorded by my capture devices.

[Edit]Now I see that key-frame accurate cuts are enough? Better think about that. GOPs can be very long for some popular video formats.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 4th Jul 2015 at 13:37.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Now I see that key-frame accurate cuts are enough? Better think about that. GOPs can be very long for some popular video formats.
    Yeah, yeah, of course, that was my mistake - "keyframe-accurate cutting" is somewhat weird, senseless phrasing, but I just couldn't find appropriate words. All I can say is - I tried many splitters, and accuracy was never a problem, accuracy was always acceptable, so there was absolutely no reason for me to worry about this, the biggest problem was various errors in output files...
    In principle, I could exclude one requirement - keyframe-accurate navigation. Yes, it is nice to see some info about the current frame, but this feature is probably not so critically important... But it doesn't matter. Advanced navigation panel seems to be standard for user-friendly apps (but in case of MPC-HC, I am forced to use keyboard shortcuts even if this app has a lot of free space in its navigation panel)...
    Last edited by MidnightUser; 4th Jul 2015 at 14:47.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by MidnightUser View Post
    By the way, I just discovered that VideoToVideo cannot navigate to the next keyframe (forward), it just does not provide such button... Ah-ha-ha, LOL, I don't believe this...
    The Commercial Remover/Splitter does. It has keyframe navigation buttons and when stopping on a frame it displays the type of frame in the status bar. When you use the slider on the navigation bar it only stops on keyframes. I think you can also choose whether to output a single file or individual segments after editing. For direct stream copy you probably need to ensure it's set to use ffmpeg for both input and output (not Avisynth), although it doesn't seem to acknowledge the latest version of Avisynth is installed anyway. Maybe that's something I've messed up in it's settings.

The latest version of VTVC has the commercial remover/splitter. Version 2.8 does not. It only has the old video splitter. I haven't used it much myself so I can't vouch for how well it works.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search PM
    Advanced navigation panel seems to be standard for user-friendly apps (but in case of MPC-HC, I am forced to use keyboard shortcuts even if this app has a lot of free space in its navigation panel)...
    Methinks pros would prefer keyboard shortcuts

Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    By the way, I just discovered that VideoToVideo cannot navigate to the next keyframe (forward), it just does not provide such button... Ah-ha-ha, LOL, I don't believe this...
    The Commercial Remover/Splitter does. It has keyframe navigation buttons and when stopping on a frame it displays the type of frame in the status bar.
    Yes, but this tool cannot save a current/selected frame as image And "Video to Images" tool cannot jump to specific position (for example, using frame number) In any case, I would prefer to see one single, unified interface (as in SolveigMM Video Splitter), instead of jumping from one tool to another... VideoToVideo has too many different tools, really.

Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Advanced navigation panel seems to be standard for user-friendly apps (but in case of MPC-HC, I am forced to use keyboard shortcuts even if this app has a lot of free space in its navigation panel)...
    Methinks pros would prefer keyboard shortcuts

I am not a professional, but I disagree with that assertion. I think many people would prefer clicking a button, instead of using Ctrl/Shift+Arrow (especially if you have a lot of free unused space in a buttons panel!).
    Quote Quote  
  10. This may be of interest: https://sourceforge.net/projects/vdfiltermod/

Note that ffmpeg driver there is a different one than everyone knows.
    There is very specific handling exactly for frame-accurate and smooth forward-backward navigation.
    Works great, I sometimes even use it to watch arbitrary h264-encoded movies backwards.
    The default download integrates everything in quite portable form - should run straight away with ffmpeg decoding.

But please forget about direct stream copy and smart rendering, sorry.
    Quote Quote