+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vpn View Post
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    You need a hdmi cable for hd since the regular a/v(yellow,red and white)will only give you sd output.If your hdtv is a little older and has component input and you have the red/blue/green cable you can use that for hd up to 1920x1080i,for a newer blu-rayer you will need a hdmi cable.
    i dont think the comcast support really knows what she is talking about.

without paying for HD programming, will i get (significantly) better quality if i use an HDMI cable? (i dont have an RGB cable.)
    (my comcast comes with some HBO channels. she said HD programming costs $10 over regular HBO.)
    I have Comcast service. It is true that Comcast charges an extra $10 per month (HD Technology Fee) for HD channels**. If you don't pay the fee, you won't receive any HD channels, not even local broadcasters. You also need an HD-capable cable box, or HD-capable DVR, or a mDTA with HDMI-out to watch in HD, in addition to an HDMI cable.

If the HDMI port on the box works for SD-only service, it will provide a somewhat better picture than composite, S-Video or analog channel 3 via coax. However, if you use closed captions, you will have to activate closed caption display on the cable box, DVR, or mDTA. You need to use an SD analog connection in order for the to TV display them on its own.

[Edit]** The $10 HD technology free allows you to receive all the channels in your subscription which Comcast offers in HD, not just premium channels like HBO, although there are some channels that Comcast doesn't offer in HD form.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 27th Jul 2015 at 10:26.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Most cable/tv companies will give you hd in your normal service plan,if they don't then they are ripping you off.You will get a little better quality using hdmi for sd if that's all you will get.

As to hbo they should give it to you at the same price for hd,sounds like they are cheap.
    i didnt really 'subscribe' to hbo. it came with the internet. so i just got a few watchable channels, with the same movies playing over and over.
    i am paying $70 a month and it seems that they just randomly increase their price so often i cannot autopay from billpay.

i am looking to switch to charter for perhaps half the price.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vpn View Post
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Most cable/tv companies will give you hd in your normal service plan,if they don't then they are ripping you off.You will get a little better quality using hdmi for sd if that's all you will get.

As to hbo they should give it to you at the same price for hd,sounds like they are cheap.
    i didnt really 'subscribe' to hbo. it came with the internet. so i just got a few watchable channels, with the same movies playing over and over.
    i am paying $70 a month and it seems that they just randomly increase their price so often i cannot autopay from billpay.

i am looking to switch to charter for perhaps half the price.
    Comcast offers an "Internet Plus" package which includes an Internet connection, plus a TV subscription with basic TV channels, Streampix, HBO and HBO Go. Is that what you signed up for? If so, there is an introductory price which increases to $70 after a year.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

If the HDMI port on the box works for SD-only service, it will provide a somewhat better picture than composite, S-Video or analog channel 3 via coax. However, if you use closed captions, you will have to activate closed caption display on the cable box, DVR, or mDTA. You need to use an SD analog connection in order for the to TV display them on its own.
    btw, i never understand what 'closed captions' means? as opposed to open captions? what is closed?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. interesting. i never even heard of open captions before. there is a very good explanation in yahoo answers.
    Quote Quote