VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi Guys.

I have a couple family videos that are dv avi and instead of converting them I tried playing then from my laptop connected to my hdtv smart tv. They played well and flawlessly. How come we hear that dv avi is a pc only format and that TV's cant display it and don't have the codec capability, but a hdmi connection lets it play perfectly to the tv?.

Im confused why this isn't the standard for watching dv avi or is it only certain TV's this works on? Mines a Panasonic Viera.

Thanks,

Matt
    Status - Attacked by mold spores. - Pour out a lil liquor for all the homies lost in the format wars. Sanlyn will live again, a Sanlyn v2.0 if you will
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All video devices (computer, dvd/blu ray player. camcorders, etc) decode the video on playback and send raw uncompressed video via HDMI/composite/component outputs. The DV-AVI video is being converted to uncompressed video then sent to the TV.
    Quote Quote  
  3. So does that mean the tv is used as a monitor and basically views the dv avi in its full quality and there is no downscaling or compromise on quality?
    Status - Attacked by mold spores. - Pour out a lil liquor for all the homies lost in the format wars. Sanlyn will live again, a Sanlyn v2.0 if you will
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by VideoChunkster View Post
    So does that mean the tv is used as a monitor
    Yes.

Originally Posted by VideoChunkster View Post
    and basically views the dv avi in its full quality and there is no downscaling or compromise on quality?
    No, your computer is deinterlacing the DV video and upscaling to whatever the graphics card's output frame size is set to. Then your TV may be scaling again to fit the native resolution of the screen and to simulate overscan.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    So does that mean the tv is used as a monitor
    Yes.

and basically views the dv avi in its full quality and there is no downscaling or compromise on quality?
    No, your computer is deinterlacing the DV video and upscaling to whatever the graphics card's output frame size is set to. Then your TV may be scaling again to fit the native resolution of the screen and to simulate overscan.
    Thanks.

Next to converting the file to mpeg 2 and making some dvds or mp4 and making a blu ray, is playing the file this way laptop > hdmi> hdt,v other than just watching it on the pc, one of the best ways to view it though?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by VideoChunkster View Post
    is playing the file this way laptop > hdmi> hdt,v other than just watching it on the pc, one of the best ways to view it though?
    It's the same thing. Though TVs are often set up to mangle the video (increase contrast and saturation, poorly sharpen, noise reduction, etc.).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    is playing the file this way laptop > hdmi> hdt,v other than just watching it on the pc, one of the best ways to view it though?
    It's the same thing. Though TVs are often set up to mangle the video (increase contrast and saturation, poorly sharpen, noise reduction, etc.).
    Thanks man, this helps I don't know much about dv avi except one of the files is avi 1 and the other 2.
    Quote Quote