VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What is the best blu-ray burner that doesn't die out after about three months? I can't remember the make of my first blu-ray burner, (all I remember is it dropped from £79.99 to £15.99 over something interesting, probably it's lack of staying alive) and I bought a slim Samsung blu-ray burner that is doing the same. I read bad reviews at Amazon about some other burners that died out on people as well.

This is what happens. With the blu-ray burners I bought, they work fine for ripping and burning for about three months and then most ripping and burning crashes because during these sessions, the blu-ray burners disconnect themselves from the USB and I hear the sound as if I pulled the plug out. Also when I unplugged them and plug them back in so they get detected and most of the time they don't detect after about fifteen to twenty attempts and finally they are detected under Computer. Some times when they are finally detected the burners don't always detect the disc inside the burner so I have to unplug and plug in again until the burners are detected as well as the disc detected inside. Then when I start another ripping or burning, one of them can work fine that time or the burner disconnects itself again during a session and I'm back to where I was again.

What is the best blu-ray burner that does last with no problems? I can't afford to buy a new blu-ray burner at about £79.99 every three months.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    Why insist on using a USB burner?
    I recommend you get a SATA based one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136269&cm_re=lg_wh16ns40-_-27...-269-_-Product

Sets you back about $60.

Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm still having good luck with the Pioneer BD burners. I have three of them, a BDR-209D, BDR-208M, and a BDR-203BK.
    The 203 has been working fine for several years. I retired it to a friends computer and he is still using it.

The 208 is about two years old and the 209 about a year. I picked it up as a replacement for a ASUS BD burner that was acting strange, mostly for reading.

I've burned about 100 DL BDR Verbatims and about 250 SL BDR Verbatims between the burners. Not one coaster.

EDIT: I've got one BD reader on USB and it disconnects and reconnects all the time. Never caused problems, but I wouldn't want to use a USB BD burner, especially for the expensive Verb BD DLs.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps no external drives can match an internal drive for reliability/longevity. I have had an internal Pioneer BD-RW drive since 2012, although maybe I don't use it as much as you do.

Kerry56, one of our optical media gurus, has recommended the LG BE14NU40 to a few people looking for external drives, although I don't know if there is a UK version. If you haven't tried it already, it might be worth a look. It is USB 3.0 and powered from a wall outlet, not from a PC's USB port, which could help.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to you three for the suggestions. I have been thinking about getting an internal blu-ray burner but I thought I'd ask about the external one first. After I posted my message my external piece of crap was disconnecting on me as soon as I started a burning session but luckily it never burnt anything to waste more discs. This is the most annoying thing, when a disc is wasted it's costly because as we know, blank blu-ray discs are not cheap, especially the dual-layer ones.

Something else if anyone can answer. I got two sessions that claimed to have burnt successfully but those two discs don't play. My PC says it's an unsupported format and my Xbox One and PS3 have an error message showing with an error code. The error code in my PS3 is 80029906.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    That PS3 code is a generic Invalid Disc error.

If you have a Samsung SE-506CB, be aware that it has serious problems burning at 2x with a lot of different media. You can designate 2x and get different speeds out of the drive, and the latest firmware does nothing to fix this. The only reason to buy this Samsung is to get a drive for scanning Blu-ray. See this thread: http://club.myce.com/f105/samsung-se-506cb-336191/

If you can use an internal drive, I'd recommend the Pioneer 209 series that is widely available. Or one of the current LG models, like the LG WH16NS40 as a second choice. Usually_quiet has already mentioned the external LG that I would recommend, but you seem to be having issues with USB connectivity, so that may not be best for you.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The current LG line is pretty good. Also writes M-DISC media. I'm currently testing out M-DISC BD's. So far they playback in all my BD players without issue. The LG drives aren't rip-locked either. You can rip BD's at full drive rated speeds.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have had an LG blu-ray for about 5 years in my desktop and it is a SATA. Now with some help (ie convertion) I use it as an USB on my laptop. Works great
    If it feels good, do it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Arnold_Layne View Post
    The current LG line is pretty good. Also writes M-DISC media.
    Yes, LG works great with M-DISC!

Quote Quote  
  10. I'm glad this thread popped up, I was going to just run to Best Buy and pick up whatever was on the rack .
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have had really good luck with LG's I own 2 WH14NS40's one usb drive and a WH12LS39.I have burned a lot of disks on the WH14NS40 in my main computer,I have also burned quite a few on the usb drive,and only a few on theWH12LS39 I have had only one bad burn in the last 3 years and I use the cheapest media I can find!To be fair I have never had any of the other manufactures to compare,but I highly endorse the LG's that I have used.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I can also attest to the LG. I have that exact drive and have burned about 15 Verbatim DL BD and no coasters. IOW, about 600 GB of data and counting! Plus M-Disc support which I can also attest to. Although I haven't made too many of those.
    Quote Quote