VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I've recently purchased a BD collection of a complete TV series (commercially produced). Each BD has several episodes. There are 20 BD's included in the set.

I want to rip the mnain titles (just the shows, no menus or extras) to hard drive and convert to a media player friendly format (WDTV Live).

I know how to rip movies using MakeMKV and compressing with HandBrake, but I don't know how to do this with an episodic disc.

Is there better software for this? What do you suggest?
    Last edited by crjackson; 15th Jun 2015 at 14:21.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by crjackson View Post
    What do you suggest?
    My suggestion is to watch it at the highest possible quality!

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    What do you suggest?

And that helps me get the digital format files to my Hard Drive how?
    Quote Quote  
  4. You can use make MKV, extract titles you want. Then you take your time and give it proper order by changing names of those titles, 01_episode1_name.mkv, 02_episode2_name.mkv etc. or proper E01S01_name.mkv etc. If you want to further make those files smaller, then batch encode them using VidCoder or something.
    Real BD episode order could be different to that makeMKV shows you on screen (I presume).
    Last edited by _Al_; 15th Jun 2015 at 16:39.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    What do you suggest?

I am encouraging you to maintain quality, obviously you can reduce the resolution to SD quality and encode with a bitrate of 2Mb/s, that way you can put all your episodes on a small disk but then what was the point buying the blu-ray version in the first place?

Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    MKV isn't media friendly? http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2698/~/list-of-compatible-media-file-t...ducts#original

Why re-encode? Re-encoding has a quality cost. Even if that's not important to you, it takes a long time to re-encode 20 BD's.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What do you suggest?

I am encouraging you to maintain quality, obviously you can reduce the resolution to SD quality and encode with a bitrate of 2Mb/s, that way you can put all your episodes on a small disk but then what was the point buying the blu-ray version in the first place?

Okay, I thought I said I want to rip them to my hard drive for playback using my WDTVLive. I have no intention of burning these to optical media. I just wanted to know the best software to rip titles w/subs & chapters, without menus.

It sounds like MakeMKV is going to be the way to go.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    MKV isn't media friendly? http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2698/~/list-of-compatible-media-file-t...ducts#original

Why re-encode? Re-encoding has a quality cost. Even if that's not important to you, it takes a long time to re-encode 20 BD's.
    I don't plan to necessarily re-encode. It depends on the amount of space consumed by each title when done. I don't really care about how long it takes to transcode files. Transcoding is pretty quick on my system, that's the least of my concern. I was simply looking for any software or tips that can help me make the ripping and organization of the files more automated. As already stated, it looks like MakeMKV is the way to go.

I didn't say MKV isn't media friendly, I simply meant that if a simpler software solution that I'm not aware of is available, I'm open to any format that is friendly (compatible) with WDTVLive. I'm good with MKV, just trying to not be limited to that format only.

There used to be software that would allow you to insert a DVD, and it would automatically rip the main titles (stripping off the extras and surperfloris audio/subs) leaving you with an MP4 or other format. I was just checking to see if there's similar software for BD. it seems there isn't so I'll go with what I know and use MakeMKV.
    Last edited by crjackson; 22nd Jun 2015 at 19:20.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just an update here...

MakeMKV is working really well. I've learned to recognize the BD structure a little better, so I now know which titles to rip and which to leave alone. The strange thing I haven't figured out yet it this. For every title I want to keep, there is a second copy of the same title. The difference is that the second copy doesn't have chapter markers. Other than that they are identical. So what I'm doing is looking at the titles with the proper chapter count (each episode has only 4 chapter markers) and ripping those only. This is working out good so far.

What is the purpose of having a second copy of each episode without chapters?
    Quote Quote  
  10. That's normal, weird stuff like another title, almost identical, can be present. Just with couple of scenes more or less, etc. Sometimes with different audio, or garbage audio whatever they come up with or whoever authors that BD.

BD and DVD are complicated beasts, thing of BD or DVD content just being dumped on disc. No order whatsoever. (Sure it might be in order too) , and just by navigation in the menu you choose particular part for play. But if you just see that storage, things could be all over the place and confusing. Not in consequent order. That is why you would not find software that would rip those titles always in correct order (TV episodes). Because think of it, correct order is hidden either in DVD or BD navigation or sometimes you have to choose order only from the menu so only graphical interface of menu would tell you correct order, so no machine or program could figure out what follows what.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So here's an update. I finally ripped all of my files to MKV. They are main titles only and there's about 40 files at 17GB each. They all play fine and look great but it takes up most of a 1TB drive. I don't mind dedicating a old 500GB USB drive to holding the series exclusively, since I already have a couple of them doing nothing. However I don't want to dedicate my 1TB BUSS powered drive for this purpose (which is what I'm doing now).

Can the files be reduced in size so that the viewable quality doesn't degrade much, or at all for that matter? I used HandBrake on one file with standard defaults and it reduced the file size to 1/2 the original. Sadly I didn't watch the result from my media center so the quality was only seen on my computer. It's of course a much smaller screen and I noticed no quality difference.

Can someone who actually knows what there talking about recommend some HB settings that should get me what I'm looking for? Also, I know this in posted in the Mac section. My desktop is a fairly pimped out Mac Pro (with fast processors and lots of cores & memory), HOWEVER it also boots native Windows 8.1 so I should be able to use any tools necessary for either OS.

Fire away ...

EDIT:
    Well, it seems either no one knows how to do what I'm asking for (unlikely) or no one is interested (likely). I guess I'll just have to keep tryng on my own until I can figure this out.
    Last edited by crjackson; 26th Jul 2015 at 19:18.
    Quote Quote