VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    We have mini DVD's from our camcorder Sony 91E. This was our first camcorder and there is no USB connection, so I copy the files from the mini DVD with the DVD burner onto the PC. I can play them with VLC, but I suppose it's better for the long term to convert them. I've download DVDVOB2MPG, converted to mpg, imported it to Sony Movie Studio Platinum, did some editing and burnt a DVD. The quality is a bit less than the original. Somebody advised Avidemux for converting.

My question is: is there a better way to convert the video's from the mini DVD's and what format? I like to burn DVD's (not BluRay), but also keep backups on an ext. harddisk. And we have PAL system here.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There is no need to convert. Your camera creates MPEG2/DVD video because it burns to mini DVDs. AviDemux is great for editing MPEG2 stuff BUT you need to cut on Key Frames in order to NOT re-encode your video.
    FIRST thing you do is place those VIDEO_TS folders on your external HDD.....then you start messing with/editing from there.
    There are plenty of cheap or free lossless(or near lossless) editors out there for MPEG2/DVD. My favorite cheap one is
    MPEGVCR.....my favorite free one is Avidemux but YOU must look after Key Frames and you must know the settings to output
    without re-encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Depending on the kind of editing you're doing, you might not have to 'convert' (or reencode) them at all. Any reencode causes quality loss. Maybe what you want is a smart renderer that reencodes only where necessary and leaves the rest alone. The commercial VideoReDo TVSuite is one such product. MPEG Video Wizard DVD 5.0 is another. Both have free trials. If all you're doing is cutting stuff out there are plenty of good and free products. So, maybe give us an idea of what you want to do specifically.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Manono and Hech54 for your quick replies.

So, maybe give us an idea of what you want to do specifically.
    I want to brighten/darken some parts, cutting some parts out or put them later/earlier in the movie. It's just to make a nice movie for ourself and friends. And as I said before, save it to my ext. HD and burn some DVD's.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Of course, anything brightened or darkened requires reencoding. Cutting and rearranging doesn't. For that you might be able to use something as basic as the freeware MPEG2Cut2 (and maybe AviDemux which I don't use).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tomorrow I'll have a look at MPG Video Wizard. I didn't know that brightening requires reencoding. Thanks for that info.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Lee2014 View Post
    Tomorrow I'll have a look at MPG Video Wizard. I didn't know that brightening requires reencoding.
    Yes it does.

Also, unless you cut only only on key frames or use frame-specific smart rendering editor for MPEG, it'll be re-encoded. Always.

Seems you're not reading the previous replies. Or maybe you already know the basic difference between editable formats and final delivery formats. MPEG, BluRay, AVCHD, etc., are final delivery formats. Not designed for any editing or mods beyond simple I-frame cuts. http://telestreamblog.telestream.net/2012/04/save-yourself-frustration-use-editing-for...hen-editing-2/
    Last edited by LMotlow; 13th Jun 2015 at 09:06.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    Originally Posted by Lee2014 View Post
    Tomorrow I'll have a look at MPG Video Wizard. I didn't know that brightening requires reencoding.
    Yes it does.
    He knows that it does. We all explained it to him.....and now he knows.
    Lighten up Francis.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search PM
    I strongly advice to do proper editing of the raw footage from camcorders.

You cannot simply take raw camcorder footage and expect people to sit through it unedited.

Editing is an integral part of the art of videography!

Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you all for your replies. I'm still studying the subject, but I find the video techno far more complicated than photography. I'm afraid I have to wait till retirement to do it properly.
    Quote Quote