VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. This is my first post on the forum; and yes, I know there's a topic on this already, but I'm still completely new to AviSynth and other video related stuff.
    The thing is, I'd like to upscale an anime I have (probably not the first nor the last to want to do this), because there's only two upscales I've found. One of them has subtitles that have a pretty annoying style of appearing, while the other one is in Spanish.
    The version I have is in DVD quality.The fact's not important, but it's Death Note.
    I've read the newbies guide, and I've got some basics on how to save an .avs script and play it on MPC, even though there was some error when I did wrote the "AviSource("c:\folder\myclip.avi")" styled one.
    Anyways, my questions come with the fact that the files I currently own are in .mkv, and Avisynth script is obviously for AVI files. I've read about DirectShowSource, but I don't know if it can work with .mkv files.
    So, with that said, how do I use the "nnedi3_rpow2" script? Well, a better question would be how do I write it. I don't know if I'll need some way to smooth the video after I upscale it, if I do I'll post another topic.
    That's pretty much it. I'm sorry if I'm coming across as ignorant, but I've never really worked with scripts, or video related stuff.
    Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  2. Avisynth can be used to open many files types, including MKV. You might be better of starting off with a GUI such as MeGUI. Use the File/Open menu and take it from there. MeGUI will let you modify the scripts it creates.

This would double the size of the video, then resize it to 720x404:

nnedi3_rpow2(rfactor=2, cshift="spline36resize", fwidth=720, fheight=404)

If you're using Avisynth 2.6, grab nnedi3.dll via the link in this post (binaries link) and put it in the Avisynth plugins folder.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Avisynth can be used to open many files types, including MKV. You might be better of starting off with a GUI such as MeGUI. Use the File/Open menu and take it from there. MeGUI will let you modify the scripts it creates.

If you're using Avisynth 2.6, grab nnedi3.dll via the link in this post (binaries link) and put it in the Avisynth plugins folder.
    So, I can upscale using MeGUI?
    The video size of the files is 480p (16:9), what did you mean by resize it to 404p?
    Sorry, really new to this.
    Thank you for replying
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Avisynth can be used to open many files types, including MKV. You might be better of starting off with a GUI such as MeGUI. Use the File/Open menu and take it from there. MeGUI will let you modify the scripts it creates.

Sorry, could you explain the process a little more thoroughly? I'm having a bit of trouble with MeGUI :P
    Quote Quote  
  5. If you want to upscale I recommend doing so in steps with a little sharpening in between:

Code:
    # 720x480 or 720x576 source
    nnedi3_rpow2(2, cshift="Spline36Resize", fwidth=1280, fheight=720)
    aWarpSharp(depth=5)
    Sharpen(0.2)
    nnedi3_rpow2(2, cshift="Spline36Resize", fwidth=1920, fheight=1080)
    aWarpSharp(depth=5)
    Sharpen(0.2)
    Do this after cleaning up the video. Adjust the sharpening depending on the source.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    If you want to upscale I recommend doing so in steps with a little sharpening in between:

Code:
    # 720x480 or 720x576 source
    aWarpSharp(depth=5)
    Sharpen(0.2)
    aWarpSharp(depth=5)
    Sharpen(0.2)
    Do this after cleaning up the video. Adjust the sharpening depending on the source.
    I know how to create a script from what you've said, but how do I connect it to the video. Well, how do I "clean it up" is a better question.
    Now, I know I may be annoying from so many questions, so respond when you feel like it, don't wanna annoy you too much :P
    Thanks dude, you're the best
    Quote Quote  
  7. "How do I clean it up?" is too broad a question. What filters you use will depend on the video you're starting with. You may need to remove DCT ringing artifacts, dot crawl artifacts, blocking from over compression, halos from over sharpening, posterization artifacts, general noise, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    "How do I clean it up?" is too broad a question. What filters you use will depend on the video you're starting with. You may need to remove DCT ringing artifacts, dot crawl artifacts, blocking from over compression, halos from over sharpening, posterization artifacts, general noise, etc.
    I suppose.
    I just want to know what I'm supposed to do in MeGUI.
    You told me to go to File/Open, but when I do, I get this dialogue box.
    Where am I supposed to insert the script you sent me? Also should I save the code you sent me as a single .avs script, or multiple ones?
    I'm sorry if I'm a bother, but it's pretty confusing.

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I don't use MeGUI, but I think you want to go to Tools -> AVS Script Creator and then use the File Indexer.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/afterdawn_blu-ray_encoding_tutorial_1-prepare_...urce_video.cfm
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    I don't use MeGUI, but I think you want to go to Tools -> AVS Script Creator and then use the File Indexer.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/afterdawn_blu-ray_encoding_tutorial_1-prepare_...urce_video.cfm
    Okay, what exactly should I do now? https://forum.videohelp.com/images/imgfiles/fEwyZGn.png
    Should I choose something out of the three or fix some settings first?
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  11. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Do you see the text in my post that says "use the File Indexer" immediately under the "File Indexer" button in your screenshot?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    Do you see the text in my post that says "use the File Indexer" immediately under the "File Indexer" button in your screenshot?
    Bah, you made me look like a fool. :P
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    Okay, I've finally made some progress. :P
    https://forum.videohelp.com/images/imgfiles/RRwBwch.png
    Now the only problem is, when I try resetting it to another resolution, it goes back to 848*480
    Quote Quote  
  14. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    What if you uncheck that and go into the Script tab?

Don't expect to gain anything by upscaling. That screenshot looks like garbage, and garbage in = garbage out.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    What if you uncheck that and go into the Script tab?

Don't expect to gain anything by upscaling. That screenshot looks like garbage, and garbage in = garbage out.
    I suppose. I'll try that.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I've figured it out. Thank you you two
    Quote Quote  
  17. Every time you change something in the script creator GUI, MeGUI re-writes the entire script, so you can manually switch to the script tab, type in whatever changes you want to apply (ie replace the existing resizing with your upscaling) and see the result using the preview button, but if you change something in the GUI, you'll need to do it again.
    If I change something I'm in the habit of copying it to the Windows clipboard so if MeGUI over-writes it I can just paste it in again.
    Quote Quote  
  18. You'd be better off learning how to open an MKV file directly in AviSynth and using Megui only for encoding. I would use ffVideoSource() to open an MKV file. You'll need to download the ffmpeg source filter for AviSynth and put it in AviSynth's plugins folder.

https://github.com/ffms/ffms2

Then open your file with a script like:

Code:
    ffVideoSource("filename.mkv")
    # optional cleanup goes here
    aWarpSharp(depth=5)
    Sharpen(0.2)
    aWarpSharp(depth=5)
    Sharpen(0.2)
    But, as was pointed out, upscaling a poor source isn't going to give good results. You might as well let the player or TV upscale.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @jagabo:
    How well does the 720p or 1080p upscale look compared to the source?
    In my experience, it gets worse, not better.
    The reason I ask is because I've not tried this exact nnedi3 method.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  20. For clean animated material it can work pretty well. Compared to a TV's upscaling or simpler methods like Spline36Resize() or LanczosResize(), you can get sharper edges with less aliasing and oversharpening halos. Of course, it's not as good as having real HD video. With live actors it's a little sharper. But its easy to overdo and not worth the time and extra bitrate.
    Quote Quote