VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I am looking at buying what I would refer to as a semi-pro video camera - hopefully HD. It seems that I would have to come up with $2000 + to buy a new one. That is not on my budget, so I am looking at buying a used one. I do not know much about video and this can be an overwhelming task. I am a teacher (that's why I am on a budget!) and I need to record some lessons for a job, but the quality of the video needs to very good. I will be using it indoors and I I wll also be buying some extra lights, as the room that I will be using does not have a lot of natural light.

So far I have looked at all of these used units (between $500 and $1300.

Canon XH-A1 HD HDV
    Panasonic AG-HVX200 DVCPRO HD P2.
    Sony HDR-FX7 3CMOS HD.
    Sony HDR-FX1000
    Canon XL2 Mini DV 3CCD.
    Sony HDR-FX1 HD.
    Canon XH-A1S.
    Sony HVR-Z1U HDV.
    Canon XL 1S.
    Sony HVR-V1U
    Sony DCR-VX2 100.
    Sony DSR-PD150.
    Sony DCR VX 2000.
    Panasonic AG-DVX100.

I know that's a long list. Any suggestions? Perhaps one not on this list? So far I have looked at onequality.com. Any other good reliable sources for used gear? I also notice that most of these use tape. The Panasonic uses the P2 - very expensive to buy!

I would much appreciate your assistance.

Aldo
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    How are you going to use this camera? (consider: subjects, runningtime-per-clip, mobility, features, light levels, accessories, etc.)

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you. I will be using the camera indoors, for the most part mounted on a tripod. I will be recording myself and other people, in a tutoring type of setting. Basically I need to record some workshops, but the video needs to be good quality. Natural lighting is poor in the room so I will be buying a light set to help me with that. I will also be using a green screen and then editing the video on a software package like Camtasia. Most of the time the unit will be plugged in and not running on battery. I hope that provides you with more information.
    Quote Quote  
  4. While some of the camcorders you´re considering like the Canon XL2, XL1S, the Sony PD150, VX2000 or the Panasonic DVX100 were excellent in terms of optics, features, quality, etc, they only record in SD (standard resolution) and you´ll probably want to do HD for the kind of quality you seek, the others that are HDV will give you more resolution and some of them are also very good in terms of lenses, performance and manual controls (something very important if you want "Pro" results), also the media can be quite cheap since most of them can record HD on normal miniDV tapes, but again, something to consider is that they have been used (maybe even abused) and tha a tape mechanism is subject to wear and tear, some of them have hour counters which can give you an idea of how much they have been running but is no indicateor of how the camera has been actually used. The Panasonic AG-HVX200 is an interesting example because it´s a hybrid design, it allows you to use miniDV tapes (but only in SD if I remember correctly) and also has the option to record on P2 memory cards (with a selectable range of resolutions), yes, the P2 cards are expensive (specially compared to SD cards which are more or less the norm these days for amateur to semi-pro, also called prosumer equipment)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Start over. There is nothing professional in 2015 about tape cameras. Even most consumer cameras over $400 have all the features you're looking for.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search PM
    If you are using a green screen and effectively you only need to record your face you do not need anything special or even HD, you only need HD in post.

Also for lessons the audio quality is going to be just as important if not more, make sure you run external mics as a mic coming from a camera in a classroom is a recipe for disaster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yes, the image quality will be better even on a cheap modern camera . But some features will be missing in that lower price range, like XLR audio that the "pro" models will have. Another side "benefit" in some situations of those "oldies" is CCD sensors, which have no CMOS rolling shutter or wobble. In some types of shoots, that is a very important consideration. But this is indoor, tripod, controlled "talking heads" type scenario, it's less important
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    If you are using a green screen and effectively you only need to record your face you do not need anything special or even HD, you only need HD in post.
    Ignore this nonsensical advice. Upscaling greenscreen in post is a recipe for dirty edges. Use a modern HD camcorder -- they're cheaper and give a better image than the older gear.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ajredaelli View Post
    Any suggestions? Perhaps one not on this list?
    Sure, get a used Blackmagic Pocket with a simple lens, should set you back around $1000.

Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Ignore this nonsensical advice. Upscaling greenscreen in post is a recipe for dirty edges. Use a modern HD camcorder -- they're cheaper and give a better image than the older gear.
    Actually, I must agree, SD is crap, 20th century technology.

Thanks for setting me straight!

Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Ok. So basically i should forget SD and look for a high end consumer HD. Also find something that uses SD cards for storage. By the way, I was planning on using an external mic. To clarify, I will not be recording in a classroom. I'm setting this up at home.

I will look into the Blackmagic. Any other suggestions for high end consumer cameras around $1000? Sounds like I'm better off buying that instead of a low end semipro for around 2k.

You guys are awesome. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Originally Posted by ajredaelli View Post
    Any suggestions? Perhaps one not on this list?
    Sure, get a used Blackmagic Pocket with a simple lens, should set you back around $1000.

NO.
    As I already have warned you about in another post, that is only the price for the camera body. Decent lenses for that cost $$, and for someone who has advocated good audio, you should already know that this camera only has 1/8" jacks for audio, crap internal audio and that every VAR outfitter recommends using double-system (separate audio recorder).
    Then there's the accessories: if the OP intends to shoot HQ (to avoid Greenscreen problems), that means using up 4-5x the space on the SD card for ProRes, or 10-15x the space if using CinemaDNG/Raw. Which means...More SD cards (and more HDD storage, more archive storage, beefier computer).

$-Camera body
    $-Lenses
    $-Audio
    $-Storage & other accessories

The BMDPCC, with accessories, will set you back at least ~$1800-$3000 depending on your choices. I like it, but you need to go into this with your eyes open.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Yes, the image quality will be better even on a cheap modern camera . But some features will be missing in that lower price range, like XLR audio that the "pro" models will have. Another side "benefit" in some situations of those "oldies" is CCD sensors, which have no CMOS rolling shutter or wobble
    They also had larger image sensors (than their consumer counterparts), and larger, better designed lenses (sometimes, fully interchangeable), built in ND filters, full manual controls, with actual buttons (not frail little touchscreens and quirky menus), as well as truly good variable speed zoom speeds (try to do a smooth slow zoom with a new cheap camera) But yes...they are SD...so to the trash bin with them...

About the Blackmagic suggestion...well, with all due respect if the OP has to ask the kind of questions he´s asking here, I doubt that camera would really be what he´s looking for.

If this was a car forum, instead of a video forum, I bet we´d see something like this:
    Q- I want to buy the best car, which one you´d recomend?
    A- Easy, go buy a Formula 1 car..why?, because they are really fast and FOR ME fast equals best
    A- No, go buy a school bus..why?, because I have a lot of kids...
    A- No, they are all wrong, go buy a large pickup truck, I haul lots of stuff and car´s trunks are very small
    A- Forget about cars, go get a bike...
    (and wait until the DSLR fanboys arrive... )

Anyway, @ajredaelli I´d take a look at something like this:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Brand_JVC&Ns=p_PRICE_2|0&ci=1871&N=42945480...00&mxp=1000.00
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    The BMDPCC, with accessories, will set you back at least ~$1800-$3000 depending on your choices. I like it, but you need to go into this with your eyes open.
    Not second hand, as I indicated, a second hand Blackmagic with a simple lens should be obtainable for about $1000.

Brand new on B&H this combination is only $1370:

Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera Kit with LUMIX G VARIO 14-140mm f/4.0-5.8 Lens

$100 for the camera and lens, that leaves about $300 for audio and storage.

For audio you can buy a brand new Tascam DR-40 for $140

Last edited by newpball; 20th May 2015 at 12:24.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Whoa. Yes, 2k seems high. I like to be around $1000. Any thoughts on the Canon VIXIA HF G20? That's around $800.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    I do have a device similar to the Tascam that I can use.
    Quote Quote  
  17. BH Photovideo is awfully good for window shopping. (Though I frequently buy there too.) Their site is set up so it's easy to plug in your requirements.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Resolution_4K&ci=1871&N=4294548093+42593324...00&mxp=2000.00

Pretty much any sony, panasonic or canon is going to be reliable.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by ajredaelli View Post
    I like to be around $1000. Any thoughts on the Canon VIXIA HF G20? That's around $800.
    That´s a nice camcorder http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/909792-REG/Canon_8063b002_32GB_VIXIA_HF_G20.html , should work very well for you. For around that price, I´d also consider the Panasonic HC-X920 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/910265-REG/panasonic_hc_x920k_hc_x920_3mos_ultrafine_full.html and/or the Sony HDR-PJ430V http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/909739-REG/sony_hdr_pj430v_b_32gb_hdr_pj430v_hd_handycam.html
    You´ll also need a good, sturdy fluid head tripod and I always recomend a zoom controller like this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/361366-REG/Libec_ZC_3DV.html Trust me, it makes your life easier
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    Awesome help all of you and great links julitomg. I will look at all of them and see where it all ends up. They all seem like good options.. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can't go wrong with a Canon G30. 20X Optical Zoom. They should be cheaper now that affordable 4K is getting closer. Anything regular HD is old hat, and on discount clearance.

Of course, camera shops will be glad to sell you an old model for too much. So beware.
    Quote Quote