VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. with subtile edit or subtitle creator.

I'm really curious why this happens. I use myp4 gui box to extract a subtitle track and it reads perfectly in my pc with vlc. But once I try with my TV usb media player it won't work. At first I thought it could only read srt files which results in a very small font. But I have gone from srt to idx/sub with both subtitle edit and subtitle creator and it reads those perfectly.

Is there a reason why this is happening and could it be resolved. The thing is that I'm always having to find an srt file online or converting the extracted sub/idx files only to convert them again...

Anyways, that's my story. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    How do you make the mp4 with the sub/idx? Handbrake?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Try opening one in Subtitle Creator or SubResynch (included with the VobSub package) and then resaving it. I've seen that work before to fix VobSubs.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Very Awesome Manono, you just made my life 100 times easier!

I tried opening the idx/sub file with subtitle creator before only to have the program crash. But the Subresynch program you suggested did exactly what I needed it to do.

Btw Baldrick, the app used to encode the mp4s was indeed handbrake.

Guys, I just signed up to ask this very question but I've been coming here for a while. Both of you guys have been very helpful to questions I've had in the past so a big thanks for all your advice. You both been around for a while, so I consider you board elders.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Great!

Have you tried make a mkv with handbrake? Some media players supports it with built in sub/idx.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Great!

Have you tried make a mkv with handbrake? Some media players supports it with built in sub/idx.

Yeah, I've also tried softcoding vobsubs in mkv format with handbrake. The resulting subs on the T.V (Sony Bravia btw) come out in a plain white text with no background. And I avoid hardcoding English subs because many of the films I own have a dual audio option....burning them in would make the English audio pointless.

Anyways, thanks again for the help guys.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Guys, one more question regarding fps. I've been checking that number using mediainfo and input the exact number into Subresynch while opening the extracted sub/idx (from mymp4box gui). I'm just wondering if this step is necessary or if it can be skipped.

Thanks...
    Quote Quote  
  8. I see no way to set or change the fps in SubResynch. All I see is a 'Reset timing' button. In any event, do nothing with the timing.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Cool thanks, Manono.

Its an option when opening a file btw. I thought it would result in an unsynched subtitle if the correct fps wasn't inputted but guess not. You saved me a lot of time once again lol...Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Yup, you're right...I'm good to go here just checked.

Btw this has been an issue for a while since I watch a lot of "foreign" films. English is my first language, but I watch a ton of Asian films and a lot of it does have an English dub but I do prefer the original audio. I have had to find srt's online for a while or convert from vobsub to srt which is a pain in the ass.....I'm so glad to find a way around this once and for all.

Oh and I do have an Igmar Bergman collection Baldrick, it really makes me wanna visit your country someday.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Manono, I'm trying to go from ssa to vobsub for a film I have.

I saw a post from you in the past that one can go from ssa to .son(using maestrosbt) and then from .son to .sub/idx using son2vsub. This was a while ago so I'm wondering if this is still the best way to go...
    Quote Quote  
  12. Having problems converting the .son file to vobsub cause the son2vsub program seems to get stuck. I did find a way around it and that's to just use Subtitle Edit and make a vobsub using the ssa file (but converting that to srt first).

I like that Subtitle Edit program a lot, it's been very useful to me....
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Borracho View Post
    Its an option when opening a file btw.
    I never noticed that, so I've never used it. I think you need two things for that fps choice to be useful. One is a subtitle format that states a framerate, and the other is a subtitle from a PAL source to be used for an NTSC video, or vice versa. People sometimes run into that problem when downloading subs from a subtitle site. In any event, I just tested with VobSubs using different framerates and it didn't seem to do anything.
    Manono, I'm trying to go from ssa to vobsub for a film I have.
    I'm curious as to why? To make a DVD, or your player doesn't support SSA subs? I've never used Subtitle Edit as the subtitle work I do (lots) doesn't require its use.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I never noticed that, so I've never used it. I think you need two things for that fps choice to be useful. One is a subtitle format that states a framerate, and the other is a subtitle from a PAL source to be used for an NTSC video, or vice versa. People sometimes run into that problem when downloading subs from a subtitle site. In any event, I just tested with VobSubs using different framerates and it didn't seem to do anything.
    Right. I didn't notice a problem when not entering the fps on the subresynch program. Saves me time knowing it isn't needed.

I'm curious as to why? To make a DVD, or your player doesn't support SSA subs? I've never used Subtitle Edit as the subtitle work I do (lots) doesn't require its use.
    Its my T.V that doesn't read anything other than srt or vobsubs. These are films I've saved on external hard disk drives that I've collected over the years and muxed myself or that I've borrowed from my friends. I honestly do not like to keep to many things because I find myself moving around quite a bit and end up giving stuff away anyway, including my movies.

I'm glad t.v's nowadays are able to read various media files...it helps me keep down the amount of clutter in my home.
    Quote Quote