VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, this is my first time asking for help here. I've tried to search for the answer but I couldn't. Thank you very much in advance for all the help. I've been struggling with this for a week now. I would really appreciate any suggestion!

I am an artist. I need to present a video by a projector. And I would like to have it with surround sound. The content is a conversation between three people, and I would like to have the three voices coming out from different speakers from different corners of the room.

This is what I did:

I edited the film by Adobe Premiere Pro CS6
    Exported the audio as .wav (uncompressed, 5.1 channel)
    Exported the video as .mp4 (without audio)
    Then I opened the .wav by Audacity. I can see the 6 channels here. Then I exported it as .ac3 (I turned on the custom mix, and I didn't change the original mapping)
    I can open the .ac3 by VLC. It sounds fine.
    Then I tried to use Subler to mux the AC3 and MP4. But I couldn't. It showed this
    [Attachment 31689 - Click to enlarge]

The "export" is not available.

This is the Scrprint when I imported the .ac3
    [Attachment 31690 - Click to enlarge]

Could anyone tell me why? And what should I do? (I also have Adobe Audition if that helps.)

My original plan is to mux them, then play the file by media player with COAXIAL thru Digital Surround sound decoder.

Thank you so much!!

Ting
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Use MP4Box:

Code:
    mp4box -add video.mp4 -add audio.ac3 output.mp4
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi I couldn't find MP4box for mac. All the ones I found are .exe. Does anyone know where can I find the file for mac? Thanks!!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thank you very much. I downloaded this one - gpac-0.5.2-DEV-rev380-g072d852-master.dmg
    However, the programme seems to be Osmo4, and it seems like a media player? Can I mux Mp4 and AC3 by this programme?

Thanks!!

Ting
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It should include mp4box. You must run it from the terminal / command line.

But subler is a gui for mp4box....so I don't know why it wont work.

edit: Can't you use save as in subler? Doesn't it save it as mp4? I have never used subler so I don't know the difference between save and export....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you can force anything into a mp4 format container but ac3 5.1 is not supported and you may have problems with things playing it back. the proper container would be .mkv
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    you can force anything into a mp4 format container but ac3 5.1 is not supported and you may have problems with things playing it back. the proper container would be .mkv
    AC3 became offically supported by MP4 container a few years ago . It's in the mp4ra and ISO base specs

The problem is not all Apple programs like it. They made their own modified MP4 container - "M4V" to hold AC3. Videos/movies on Itunes come on this format , for example . (it's really a MP4 container)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search PM
    If this is for an art presentation and you would present it as a pro I would recommend using discrete PCM channels using MOV or MXF containers.

AC3 quality, at least in my personal opinion, is not good and not always supported.

Same with video, make sure you get the highest quality, Prores, Cineform, DnxHD etc.

~ just saying (most people on this forum will probably disagree).

Last edited by newpball; 18th May 2015 at 16:13.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the ac3 support is weird, it's only through a european spec co. etsi not mpeg
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hi thank you everyone for the help! And thank Baldrick for the insightful observation. It was my first time using Subler, not sure how to do it, and I tried "Save as" and it worked...

So now I have .mp4 or .m4v (both options are working on subler) files. I will try on the media player and decoder soon, see if it's actually working. And newpball, thank you for the advice. I will give it a try first, to see if the quality is fine, if not I will try your suggestion.

Thanks everyone for the help

Ting
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hi everyone, thank you for the help previously. I just got my equipment to test if my file is working or not. I bought these two

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0052X04MO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LJWA166?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

But I couldn't find which cable I should use to connect digital surround sound decoder to speakers. I have some speakers but they all have 3.5 jack, is it gonna work?

Thank you so much!

Ting
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by tingting View Post
    I have some speakers but they all have 3.5 jack, is it gonna work?
    3.5 jack? For speakers?

What kind of speakers are we talking about?

Quote Quote  
  13. Hi guys, just want to update the project. It worked! Thank you so much for all the help
    Quote Quote