VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to add an app (icon) to the main desktop screen in windows 8.1 metro but can't find the setup screen for it.

Does anyone know ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM

By the way it is Metro not Metropolis.

Metropolis is when Microsoft engineers start their shift to make brilliant software:

Last edited by newpball; 11th May 2015 at 23:18.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    I am trying to add an app (icon) to the main desktop screen in windows 8.1 metro but can't find the setup screen for it.

Does anyone know ?
    I'm assuming that you mean add a shortcut to the Windows 8.1 Desktop, not the Start Screen

For a regular program you would just right click on the desktop, click "New", click "Shortcut", and then go to the programs folder to find the location of the executable that you want the shortcut to open, select the exe, and walk through the screens to add the shortcut.

You might be better off to just continue accessing Metro Apps using the Start Screen. Metro Apps are stored in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps, which Microsoft has both hidden and made inaccessible even if someone is using an administrator account, so the regular method for adding a desktop shortcut won't work for Metro Apps. There is a way around it but it won't be easy on a tablet without a keyboard. http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Launch-Metro-Apps-from-the-Desktop-in-Windows-8-1-428061.shtml (It didn't used to be this hard to add a desktop shortcut for a Metro App, but I guess Microsoft changed that with a security update)
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 12th May 2015 at 12:55. Reason: grammar
    Quote Quote