VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Where should saturation/hue/etc... be on the scale numerically?
    Quote Quote  
  2. It depends on the source, and to your own preferences to a small degree. If you post a short sample maybe some suggestions can be offered. The only real important thing, for me, is not to blow out the whites or crush the blacks. If you do, they can't be fixed later on. Most of the rest can.

There is no single 'best' setting for the proc amp controls.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    It depends on the source, and to your own preferences to a small degree. If you post a short sample maybe some suggestions can be offered. The only real important thing, for me, is not to blow out the whites or crush the blacks. If you do, they can't be fixed later on. Most of the rest can.

There is no single 'best' setting for the proc amp controls.
    Certainly it should be tweaked depending on what's coming in, but I am looking for baseline settings to use as a starting reference. Do you use this device? Do you have baseline numbers?

Also, does VirtualDub have a built-in histogram??
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by premiumcapture View Post
    Certainly it should be tweaked depending on what's coming in, but I am looking for baseline settings to use as a starting reference.
    VDub (which is what you're using, right?) has defaults. Try those. I've never found defaults to be good enough, though.
    Do you use this device?
    The Hauppauge? No, I have a different USB capture device. I've capped plenty through VDub, though.
    Do you have baseline numbers?
    Nope. Look, do some 'practice' short captures and have a look with a histogram or something. Adjust the settings and make some more short caps. When you have everything the way you like, do the 'real' capture.
    Also, does VirtualDub have a built-in histogram??
    It has a capture histogram, yes, but I do my histogram and other checks in AviSynth scripts. VDub has HSV Adjust, a Levels filter, a brightness/contrast filter, and some others either built in or downloadable. Those would be for post-capture processing. Others know more about them than I.
    Quote Quote  
  5. VirtualDub capture mode: Video -> Histogram. But you have to switch to Video -> Preview instead of Video -> Overlay.
    Quote Quote