VideoHelp Forum

Poll: How do you record sound as part of your video recording?

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search PM
    When you make a video recording how do you record sound?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Any and all of the above, situationally.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Any and all of the above, situationally.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Any and all of the above, situationally.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    What external audio interface do y'all situational folks use when you use an external audio interface?

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Have used a number of different digital devices throughout the years:
    • PD DAT Recorder
    • Alesis Masterlink (HDD+CD recorder)
    • ADAT & DA-88 (for multi-channel simulcast), some linked-up to 24tracks
    • Alesis, MOTU and M-Audio A/D converters to Laptop
    • Roland & Tascam multichannel portable record stations
    • Tascam, Marantz, Fostex & Zoom portable digital SDcard recorders (currently own Zoom H4N, about to upgrade to H6)
    • occasional rentals of DigitalNagra or SoundDevices when project & budget warrant

They all have served well in their capability at the time. What technical aspect in particular were you looking for?
    This does NOT include the many times I have also, or (alternately) only, used on-camera audio recording.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Huh? My camera has a built-in microphone, problem solved!

and/or

I use an external audio interface for my audio
    Quote Quote  
  8. And add to Cornucopia's list any number of house mixing consoles (Yamaha, Mackie, Roland...)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search PM
    oops, double posting.
    Last edited by newpball; 23rd Apr 2015 at 10:47.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    What technical aspect in particular were you looking for?
    Actually this topic was triggered by a comment of a member in another topic where another member needed to make a video recording with DLSRs for his portfolio. The comment was so unusual (calling external recording "utter, unrealistic hogwash") I wanted to poll the membership to see how prevalent this kind of thinking was.

Using an external audio interface for video recording is both a good idea and very affordable. You can record 96kHz/24-bit entry level for under $100. Four channel recording (with phantom power) sets you back about $150.

An interesting technical question is do you prefer standalone (e.g. Tascam DR series up to HS P82) or do you capture real time to a computer (e.g. MOTU stuff).

Last edited by newpball; 23rd Apr 2015 at 11:29.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search PM
    ..currently own Zoom H4N, about to upgrade to H6
    That's a nice one!

I have to do with a measly Tascam DR-40.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    What technical aspect in particular were you looking for?
    Actually this topic was triggered by a comment of a member in another topic where another member needed to make a video recording with DLSRs for his portfolio. The comment was so unusual (calling external recording "utter, unrealistic hogwash") I wanted to poll the membership to see how prevalent this kind of thinking was.

Using an external audio interface for video recording is both a good idea and very affordable. You can record 96kHz/24-bit entry level for under $100. Four channel recording (with phantom power) sets you back about $150.

An interesting technical question is do you prefer standalone (e.g. Tascam DR series up to HS P82) or do you capture real time to a computer (e.g. MOTU stuff).

The comment was not THAT unusual, because IIRC your remarks were quite provactive.

As a general rule and in theory, using a dedicated separate audio system (aka "double system") is preferable, but that assumes that one can easily sync up multiple streams of V+A. In reality & actual practice, it sometiimes isn't that easy and almost always is time consuming. Plus, there IS an additional budget & logistical burden. If one is a newbie to video recording or video editing, or if one is a pro doing "run and gun" eng-style video journalism or fast & improptu live sports, or needs extremely quick turnaround, etc., I would almost NEVER recommend double system. If one is a veteran prosumer or a standard film/doc/tv/musicvid shoot professional, I would almost ALWAYS recommend it. Clearly, it depends.

Also, I doubt that I would trust a device that claims 24/96 for less than $100, and AFAIK all the 4ch devices at the $150 price point you mention actually are 2 on-device mics + 2 external mics, which means you don't get consistent quality. True 4ch with 4+ externals really only start at double that (~$300) and up. So, in reality, it isn't that affordable. As I mentioned before, the greatest benefit gotten from double system is in dedicated audio-prioritized features. If you are only needing 2 channels, a couple of high quality external mics added to the camera's external inputs can sound nearly equal to those same mics connected to a audio recorder device. Just like in cameras where the optics & sensor have a major influence in visual quality, so too does the construction & quality of the mic have in audio quality - much more so than the A/D (which itself is usually a larger factor than the actual recording section).

I think THAT is where those comments were coming from.

re: standalone vs. computer,
    In order of quality, I prefer Pro Audio computer interfaces, then Pro standalones, then consumer standalones, then consumer audio computer interfaces.
    In order of logistics, I prefer Pro standalones, then it's a tie between Pro computer interfaces and consumer standalones, then consumer audio interfaces.
    And when I say "pro" here, I don't think there is ANYTHING in the <$150 range that qualifies.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  13. I've got a question about multiple camera recording?

Right now I'm recording with a Panasonic HD camcorder, I get my audio from a presonus 24ch board (via sub channel) that way I don't have to record separate audio. I want to use more cameras (hopefully two more) but use the same audio. I don't want to do a lot of work, I was wondering if there is a way that I can record with three camcorders and send the three feeds to a computer and have the computer record the video
    (and audio) and "change" or "swap" camera shots while recording live, that way I'm not having to do the editing and "change" or "swap" shots manually?

I hope I explained myself well enough.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search PM
    Assuming the Presonus output is already mixed and the 'best' version just record this on a digital sound recorder (2x). Also use the mics on all the cameras, not to use the sound but merely to have an easy sync in post. Best is to keep the cameras running all the time that will make the editing smoother. You can also use tools like Plural Eyes to automatically sync the videos based on the similarity of sound.

Note that the 24ch board sub channel sound levels may be unsuitable for portable entry level recorders like the Tascam or the Zoom. Always test with a headphone, do not make assumptions!

Sure you can use a computer but it will add one layer of uncertainty, especially for live recording you cannot afford any mess-ups so you are better off running dual independent sound recording.

For live you basically want two independent sound recorder devices (at least one battery powered) and one master camera to cover the main event 100%, the other cameras/sound sources can do the nice and more risky shots.

However if you do not have continuous sound you are in deep trouble!

Quote Quote