VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone. My girlfriend is a fantastic woman, and she loves taking videos and editing them and publishing them, usually as gifts. She has been borrowing her friend's video cam as she doesn't own one of her own. She wants a pure video cam, not one which will also take stills. Went to an electronics store and saw an UltraHD Sony cam for $1800. Yikes.

Any of you have solid recommendations for a video cam. Her birthday is coming and it would make sweet birthday gift.

I trust you people more than a camera salesman.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Budget?

Logistically/pragmaticly, how would she be using it? What style of shooting? Subjects? Length of clips? Artistic proclivities?

BTW, most ALL vid cams also take stills now (as well as vice-versa), but there is still a difference in feature priorities.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Budget?

Logistically/pragmaticly, how would she be using it? What style of shooting? Subjects? Length of clips? Artistic proclivities?

BTW, most ALL vid cams also take stills now (as well as vice-versa), but there is still a difference in feature priorities.

Scott

Thanks, Scott. Good point. Mostly music and singing concerts, especially in church.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Budget?

Scott

Ooops. I misunderstood her. She was a camera which takes excellent stills and movies. Her girlfriend suggested this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892349-REG/Canon_8035b002_EOS_6D_Digital_Camera.html

OR

http://www.costco.com/Canon-EOS-Rebel-T5i-DSLR-Camera-2-Lens-Bundle.product.100129586....=10301&refine=

Thoughts ?
    Last edited by MacPCConsultants; 16th Apr 2015 at 03:03.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    Only if she does not mind manual focus.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Well... nobody is perfect... probably it may be not suitable for casual use but still superior to SLR i believe (i'm video biased)...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Well... nobody is perfect... probably it may be not suitable for casual use but still superior to SLR i believe (i'm video biased)...
    Indeed.

By the way there is a good second hand market on those pocket things.

A lot of people tend to buy this in their enthusiasm, they think they have some 70's o-matic thing and then find out if is really not for them.

New I would not recommend buying them, while innovative some time ago they are now way past their prime.

If only someone came up with the 'luminous' idea of making a good QHD camera as good 4K is still very expensive.

Last edited by newpball; 16th Apr 2015 at 20:28.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @newpball, please don't try and hijack a thread again.
    1st, "QHD" that you seem to be so keen about lately, is NOT a standard video/cinema/photo format and is not going to BE a standard (video/cinema/still) format. Stop talking about it like it will - talking won't make it so. The only thing that QHD is is a resolution standard for monitors. Unless you intend to create custom profiles, any video/photo that gets created with normal software is going to put out something that is either smaller resolution (e.g. SD, HD, and is upscaled) or larger resolution (e.g. 4k/UHD, 8k, and is downscaled).

2nd, you are mistaken about the BMDPCC, there are some lenses that do have auto-focus that work with them (but they aren't cheap).

3rd, I don't know what you are even trying to prove WRT "those pocket things", as your verbage is so roundabout that it doesn't make any sense!

As far as the BMDPCC, the OP has already stated "YIKES" to a camera costing $1800USD. While the BODY of the BMDPCC is ~$995, to make the camera even at all usable, one has to buy a set of good lenses. Then add to that all the usual accessories that are necessary if you want the cam to be at all versatile: tripod (or other stabilizer methods), monitor/hood, external recorder (e.g. ninja, etc - if you intend to shoot longer than just a few minutes) & storage devices, lanc remote controller, audio shotgun mike (or better, separate audio system, since the audio feature of the cam basically sux), rig for holding all the accessories...
    It is easy for the real cost of this to actually be $1500-$2300, and that's still on the low end!

One can do a similar thing with DSLRs for equivalent or somewhat less buy-in. Main difference is the shutter-type, presence of AA/LP filter, runningtime limitations, and (usually) lack of RAW/DI storage options. There would be the same need for lenses & accessories there as well. As an example, I bought my Nikon D3200 last year; with basic package it would have been ~$450, but adding all the extras (2 zoom lenses + 1 prime, filters, extra batteries, SDHC storage, remotes, hood, etc.) it was more like ~$1000. Even then, and with separate external mic mixing, it has only so-so audio, so I almost ALWAYS shoot double system.

What I would recommend is that the OP get something that is more consumer-video oriented, but which also has VERY GOOD audio. Unfortunately, that leaves out a LOT of cameras which now record AC-3 (with AVCHD), or MP2 (with HDV), even some XAVCS models. It does look like something like the Sony alpha5100, or similar, allows for choice in the recording formats (both video & audio), and has a similar price point to what I discussed about the DSLRs.
    If it weren't recording only AC-3, I'd suggest something like a high-end Canon Vixia (~$1300 for top of the line G30 now).

Of course, if you/your girlfriend doesn't mind working with separate (aka "double system") audio, you could ignore the warnings, get a mid/lower end AVCHD consumer cam (say Vixia HF R500 for ~$300) and then get a tascam or zoom audio recorder (also ~$300). The difficulty there lies in maintaining sync throughout editing.

It's all about priorities. Which is why I asked those questions in the first place.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 16th Apr 2015 at 18:21.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Girlfriend
    Birthday
    Video camera

I sense a dirty joke coming.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MacPCConsultants View Post
    Yes, they're very good / good still cameras with useful video recording.

Neither would disappoint, though you'd need to learn how to use them properly. They have full auto modes, but you get even better results if you learn a bit about using some of the manual features.

You would usually benefit from plugging in an external microphone and putting it closer to the singing. Or you can use a completely separate audio recorder, and sync the audio to the video when editing. That's what I do, but some people find this difficult.

Typically you can't run around following fast action with a DSLR, whereas you can with a camcorder.

Typically you can get that nice filmic "background out of focus, subject in focus" look more easily with a DSLR than a camcorder.

Some video samples at the end of this page:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-700d-rebel-t5i/23

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search PM
    3rd, I don't know what you are even trying to prove WRT "those pocket things", as your verbage is so roundabout that it doesn't make any sense!
    Some people have the impression this is some automatic pocket camera while the truth is quite the opposite, it's pretty much fully hands on.

But this pocket thing is out, this is the new one and obviously 4K:

Available in July!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1137295&gclid=CjwKEAjw3sKpBRDJ7...=REG&A=details
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Wake up @newpball (or READ)! That is smaller than the ursa, but it is by no means a "pocket" camera, nor is it marketed as such.

It has no lenses, and more importantly: no recorder! Its output is via SDI (or possibly HDMI), so if you wanted to "record 4k", you would have to buy expensive lenses (~$1000 and up) and you would have to get something like an atomos shogun (~$2000), so your intended $1295 cost is now really $4295, and that is without accessories such as power, storage media, audio, remote control. And mounting - since at that point, it is no longer some little "handheld".

Not even being close to helpful for this thread or this OP's needs.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search PM
    It has no lenses, and more importantly: no recorder!
    Modular is good!
    In the seventies people died by that concept!
    Glad it is back!

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Get back on your meds, please.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search PM
    ... since at that point, it is no longer some little "handheld".
    None of the BM cameras are handheld cameras.

In fact there are no handheld video cameras it is impossible to make good videos handheld.

Here is a new one, affordable, 4k and pretty pocket:

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    In fact there are no handheld video cameras it is impossible to make good videos handheld...
    Do you know how ridiculous you sound?!

The ability to shoot good handheld has been going on since at least the '40s (in WWII), and both videos and films using primarily handhelds have won many many awards. Plenty of people can and do shoot engaging footage while & with handhelds - both providing shakey and non-shakey style scenes. Maybe the truth behind the farcical hyperbole is that it is YOU that can't make good videos handheld. Luckily, there are plenty of tutorials on the 'Net for you to learn from.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search PM
    In fact there are no handheld video cameras it is impossible to make good videos handheld...
    Do you know how ridiculous you sound?!
    Well I am sorry to disappoint you but I think I do not sound ridiculous.
    This is video 101, you do not shoot handheld.

The ability to shoot good handheld has been going on since at least the '40s (in WWII), and both videos and films using primarily handhelds have won many many awards. Plenty of people can and do shoot engaging footage while & with handhelds - both providing shakey and non-shakey style scenes. Maybe the truth behind the farcical hyperbole is that it is YOU that can't make good videos handheld. Luckily, there are plenty of tutorials on the 'Net for you to learn from.
    I freely admit I cannot shoot handheld.

I think no-one can really.

Sure you might cut some rare 3 second 'scary shot' in your video but for good videos you use a tripod. For mobility you can use a shoulder rig or a steady cam, a dolly or a jib and if the camera is light you even may get away with a monopod but you don't shoot handheld.

I would never, ever, hire a camera operator who thinks that he can shoot handheld!

Last edited by newpball; 17th Jun 2015 at 16:37.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No one?

A few links to refute this assumption:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand-held_camera
    http://www.tasteofcinema.com/2014/15-important-films-shot-with-a-hand-held-camera%E2%80%8F/
    http://www.imdb.com/list/ls004490764/
    http://filmracket.com/10-best-uses-shaky-cam-technique-films/
    http://nofilmschool.com/2013/12/masterclass-in-handheld-camera-operating-from-place-be...p-sean-bobbitt
    http://www.videomaker.com/article/15956-6-reasons-to-go-hand-held
    And then there's landmark titles like David Holzman's Diary and Blair Witch Project.

And that's not even digging deep!

Clearly you aren't familiar with "Video 101", otherwise you wouldn't have put your foot in your mouth again. "Shakey" vs. "Steady" is ultimately, in the hands of a pro and even a seasoned hobbyist, an artistic decision, with valid reasons for doing both at various times. And neither is mutually exclusive to nor the sole domain of Handhelds and handholding.

Don't worry about the hiring, I don't think anyone is asking to work with you with your attitude.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 17th Jun 2015 at 17:59.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search PM
    Blair Witch Project
    Oh boy!

I know, I am just not intelligent enough to see the radiating brilliance:

Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search PM
    ROTF.

An Arri handheld, yeah sure!

He, well more like his assistant, is using a shoulder rig in this masterclass.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Guess not. Cost $35,000 to make. Grossed $248 million and spawned many, many parallels, copies, spinoffs, sequels, merch etc. And Roger Ebert gave it 4 stars. That's a pretty "radiatingly brilliant" coup if you ask me.

It may not be your or my or many peoples' cup of tea, but you got to give it due respect for masterful execution. Or don't, be curmudgeonly closed-minded and look like a fool. Your choice.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by newpball View Post

Stop embarrassing yourself. It's a normal Alexa with arri handles -- no special rig.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post

Stop embarrassing yourself. It's a normal Alexa with arri handles -- no special rig.
    Yeah sure that makes the big difference, it's really feather light

Click image for larger version

Name:	arri.png
Views:	370
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	32240

I would love to see a video demo of Cornucopia demonstrating how to record with this one handheld, no not shoulder supported, but fully in the hands.
    Last edited by newpball; 17th Jun 2015 at 18:31.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Go to the store and try latest top camcorder consumer models, start with Sony .... Optical stabilization is somewhere else than it was 5 years ago .... Unless you are sort of disabled, handheld shooting is not that big deal as it was ... Use both hands.

The bigger camcorder, rig, the more you "change" or influence objects, people you shoot. They are not relaxed anymore, they change into actors. Using light enhances that even more, You cannot go into park and shoot your kid with friend with a rig and $5000 camera with huge lens. It is not going to be spontaneous and all.
    But, you go into soccer game and some might play better, because they will be on TV. BTW, how would you record that soccer game, not using hand held camcorder? It is up to you what you are going to do. But with a "rig" or big camcorder as a tourist for example, you will even not get out of the door because someone would stop you, telling you that you cannot shoot there. Etc.

Also at home before you get that "rig" ready, your kid is done with whatever you want to shoot.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Yeah sure that makes the big difference, it's really feather light
    More weight -- up to a certain point-- actually contributes to stability in hand-held work. (The base Alexa is about 15 lbs which is a very good spot for shoulder-mounted work. That's where the classic Sony BVW-300 news camera landed as well) Balance is more the issue, and these cameras are superbly designed ergonomically.

I would love to see a video demo of Cornucopia demonstrating how to record with this one handheld, no not shoulder supported, but fully in the hands.
    "Hand-held" has always included shoulder-mounted. You don't get to reinvent longstanding terminology just to escape conceding your foolishness.
    Last edited by smrpix; 17th Jun 2015 at 19:37.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    "Hand-held" has always included shoulder-mounted. You don't get to reinvent longstanding terminology just to escape conceding your foolishness.
    Anyone can read the context of the discussion:

It has no lenses, and more importantly: no recorder! Its output is via SDI (or possibly HDMI), so if you wanted to "record 4k", you would have to buy expensive lenses (~$1000 and up) and you would have to get something like an atomos shogun (~$2000), so your intended $1295 cost is now really $4295, and that is without accessories such as power, storage media, audio, remote control. And mounting - since at that point, it is no longer some little "handheld".

Quote Quote  
  27. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    Go to the store and try latest top camcorder consumer models, start with Sony .... Optical stabilization is somewhere else than it was 5 years ago .... Unless you are sort of disabled, handheld shooting is not that big deal as it was ... Use both hands.
    I respectfully disagree, handheld (no I do not mean shoulder mount, steady cam or other tools), is bad.

Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    BTW, how would you record that soccer game, not using hand held camcorder?
    As a one-man job? Can't really do that well!

I would get at least one more camera man. You simply need a second man for continuity if you are going to do any kind of closeups. Tripods all the way. And with two fixed, unmanned, cams well positioned at each goal. Sound would be a major pain, you need to rent expensive directionals to get any of the kicking recorded!

Last edited by newpball; 17th Jun 2015 at 22:41.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    I respectfully disagree, handheld (no I do not mean shoulder mount, steady cam or other tools), is bad.
    I'm trying to understand why you seem to think handheld is bad; yes the raw footage you shoot will be shaky but that's true with a shoulder mounted camera as well, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia is shot using a shoulder mount as are many tv shows, as you should know once you shoot your raw footage then you frame the footage in an editor down to whatever your mastering resolution will be. For instance Gone Girl was shot in 6k but framed and graded in 2.5k for the master, which was then used to create the final 1080p movie.

I must be missing something because your point would only be valid if the above mastering technique wasn't part of the production process.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    I'm trying to understand why you seem to think handheld is bad; yes the raw footage you shoot will be shaky but that's true with a shoulder mounted camera as well,
    True, but it is distinctly different. Shoulder mount can be very effective to mimic body movement and is obviously useful at times. Pure HANDHELD* however is a complete mess.

Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia is shot using a shoulder mount as are many tv shows, as you should know once you shoot your raw footage then you frame the footage in an editor down to whatever your mastering resolution will be. For instance Gone Girl was shot in 6k but framed and graded in 2.5k for the master, which was then used to create the final 1080p movie.
    Not caring about recording because "we'll fix it in post" is a terribly shortsighted and also lazy attitude. Condoning this attitude is also bad leadership, if the leader is willing to cut corners then before you know it everybody cuts corners!

Fixing things in post should be used as a last resort, it is something that should be avoided as much as possible.

Sure there is software to stabilize a clip but with pure HANDHELD* it simply does not look good.

Of course each rule is once in a while broken, a few seconds of hand held may be effective in certain scenes.

*HANDHELD = Pure hand held, not shoulder-mount, steady cam or other tools.

Last edited by newpball; 18th Jun 2015 at 00:26.
    Quote Quote