VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. This is the process I have used for several DVD's in my collection.

Rip with whatever -
    Open VOB's with DVD2AVI 176
    Select Force Film as needed
    Save as Project
    (stupid step I know but I do it as it just works) - Output to avi (least compression, or uncompressed) with "TMPGenc" - no change in resize and aspect ratio 1:1 VGA setting.

Then once avi is there, I think after that it's pretty much easy from that point.

Well here's the issue with The Rock (old release DVD, widescreen but with 4:3 aspect ratio - this is what I am trying to fix).

I save the project with DVD2AVI, however, in the beginning the french and english titles alternate one to other and audio track won't extract beyond 35 Megabytes.

For example, you will have "The Rock" title showing up and then one second afterwards "Le Roche" will be shown in the same fashion, then it will be back to The Rock and then Le Roche once again will show up.

I guess I have to look for a different VOB > AVI software, any suggestions?

(I was able to encode this movie long time ago with Flask to VCD, if anyone remembers that, but I think that program is not existent anymore, I mean this was like even before XP came out, besides I wouldn't want VCD anyway at this point).

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tired AviNet or Handbrake (to mp4 or mkv) or VidCoder (to mp4 or mkv) ?
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. Sounds like you have a movie where the French and English main titles are encoded as alternate angles within the same VOB. The only way I've been able to get around that is to re-wrap into an mkv. (I believe using mkv toolnix.) Others may have different suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Use VOB2MPG in IFO mode to remux one title (French or English) to an MPG file. Continue from there.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Or decrypt the right angle to begin with, and not the entire DVD. If using DVDDecrypter, for example, rather then decrypting in File Mode use IFO Mode and choose the angle you want. Take it from there, although your process sounds pretty screwy to me. Output to AVI? The whole point of making a D2V project file is so you can use it in an AviSynth script to send directly to your encoder.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check these more thoroughly as VOB2MPG appears to crash, and I also checked out bitRipper (extracted the DVD but to 25 fps). For the time being though I am able to get the accurate picture ratio on an XBOX and setting Theatermode 3 size on the TV. That will suffice for now, the picture size is accurate for the most part.
    Quote Quote