VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is this possible? From what I understand, broadcasts are now all digital in the US, so I figure I should be able to save the TS stream being broadcast. Most if not all of the TV recorders I see do some type of re-encoding. Is recording like this possible? If so, what is the hardware to buy?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the signal from your cable box would be encrypted / copy protected.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Is it only HDCP? Cant I beat that with a splitter?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by premiumcapture View Post
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Is it only HDCP? Cant I beat that with a splitter?
    No, an HDMI spiltter won't allow you to record the TS stream, only HDMI. HDMI is uncompressed digital video, decompressed from the TS stream by the cable box, plus audio. The TS stream is MPEG-2 video plus AC3 audio, unless you live in one of the few places where MPEG-4 video is being trialed in a pilot program. The TS stream used to be available via FireWire a few years ago, but not any more, since the FCC lifted their requirement to provide video over a FireWire connection.

A CableCARD tuner might let you record the TS stream, without using a cable box. However, that depends on who your provider is and which channels you want to record.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 8th Apr 2015 at 23:29.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Is there a way to capture the stream for over the air television? I presume that would not be encrypted. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Found the answer to the last question, nevermind. It's called the Channelmaster DVR +
    Quote Quote