VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried to look at the guide but it seems they were written around the assumption one knows how to make AVCHD or how to burn existing files to BD. Nothing that stands out as obvious "quick" AVI to BD for playing on BD player. Like one for making DVD by converting video files to MPEG1 VCD with DVD audio rate or MPEG2 format then just dump them onto DVD burner for video.

These AVIs are 480 and 30 fps, mostly encoded with old DivX 3 (may need to re-encode?) and I don't want to create menu or anything fancy, jjust to have as many AVI as possible on a BD.

Anyone point me to the right spot? TIA!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    You can burn any video format to a BD disc as "data" files. Now all you need is a BluRay player that can play DivX files from a BluRay disc. What BluRay player do you have? Some players don't recognize obsolete formats like Divx3. Some players will play them only from a USB flash drive or even an external hard drive, but not from a BluRay disc. Check your player first.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  3. It's unclear what you're asking. If you want to convert everything to Blu Ray structure so any player can use it, try multiavchd. If you just want to put files on a disk use imgburn.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know what model the BD player is, it is in-car player and there is no memory or USB slot anywhere (may be hidden for service use only?). It does play standard DVD and BD and I haven't run into any commercial pressed disc that failed to play.

The instruction manual that came with the car didn't specify what video format is accepted, only that it works with all region 1 DVD and A BDs.

Edit: will try multiavchd and see if that will work for my car's player.

A cheap Pioneer BD burner from local MicroCenter: $60
    Some decent BD-Rs: about $1 per disc
    2 hours drive without hearing "Are we there yet" every 3 minutes: priceless.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by impmon2 View Post
    there is no memory or USB slot anywhere... It does play standard DVD and BD and I haven't run into any commercial pressed disc that failed to play
    In addition to multiavchd, since your files are all standard def you can just make a normal DVD as well. (AVStoDVD is a good tool.)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Eh thought about it but I'd need 9 DVD since they generally hold about 4 hours of SD each. BD is supposed to hold up to 29 hours per disc so 2 BD or 1 BD plus 1 DVD = less discs to keep track.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'd suggest AVStoDVD. multiavchd is kind of a bitch to use and if you have any problems with it, good luck getting help. I think you'd be a lot better off to just convert to DVD. Unless you are really careful and assuming that multiavchd even allows you to use 480 video for BluRay output, you may find that multiavchd is converting all your source videos to 1080 output and that's going to be ugly.

Not to state the obvious, but if your player sends video only to the back seats, you're fine, but from a legal standpoint you do need to be aware that it may be against state law in many places for the video to be viewable in the front seats.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by impmon2 View Post
    Eh thought about it but I'd need 9 DVD since they generally hold about 4 hours of SD each. BD is supposed to hold up to 29 hours per disc so 2 BD or 1 BD plus 1 DVD = less discs to keep track.
    No idea where you get those figures, but you should do a little more research. 4 hours of DVD on 1 disc is pretty low-bitrate, godawful stuff to watch, especially from home made videos. A retail DVD that has 4 hours of material is likely pressed dual layer (and most of them are), not a single layer DVD.

29 hours on a BD disc? That's pretty low quality as well, even if the material isn't of vital personal importance.

I'd make an educated guess and say that your car player is designed for standard DVD and BD discs, not for non-standard material or for data files burned to optical disc. But you can always burn some of that Divx as data to a disc and see if they play. The documentation that came with the player or with your car should have some info on the player. If not, you'll have to try and see.

I don't know what kind of BD blanks you're talking about, but Verbatim is usually recommended. If you're using cheap store brand stuff, don't expect much durability.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    It is possible to do this with BD Rebuilder. Go to File-->Import to bring in your avi files. All of the video files you want in any compilation disc have to be in the same folder when you import them, so set aside 4-6 movies in this import folder before beginning with BD Rebuilder. BD Rebuilder will process all of the videos you are importing, and when its finished that task you have to hit Backup to start the encode.

BD Rebuilder will re-encode both the audio and video to be compatible to Blu-ray specifications, and the output will be a Blu-ray movie with a very simple menu where you can select each movie on the disc.

BD Rebuilder is much more stable than MultiAVCHD, but will not make the elaborate menus possible with that program.

Once the videos are finished, you can burn to a disc with ImgBurn. Default output size in BD Rebuilder is for single layer Blu-ray blank discs.

Edit: I just took a look at this in BD Rebuilder, since this isn't something I have done often with this program, except in a few tests years ago. BD Rebuilder actually converts the audio in that first step, before you hit Backup. And you should set the Mode to Quick Play before hitting Backup.
    Last edited by Kerry56; 31st Mar 2015 at 13:59.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    BD rebuilder might be the trick. I don't need fancy menu anyway, just something to play video. I realize that 4 hours on single layer DVD or 29 on BD is low bitrate, some cartoons can go pretty low bitrate and still look good because they usually had few color and details. I just wish someone would pick up the dang license and make it commercially available on real discs

Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    \Not to state the obvious, but if your player sends video only to the back seats, you're fine, but from a legal standpoint you do need to be aware that it may be against state law in many places for the video to be viewable in the front seats.
    I am pretty sure most kids who whines "Are we there yet" every 3 minutes are also too young to sit in front seat anyway, much less drive a car.
    Quote Quote