VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, I have a DVD of a home movie that unfortunately has slight picture interference at the top and bottom of the picture.

Does anyone know a way of ripping the DVD to a windows 7 laptop then cropping the picture down SLIGHTLY to cut off the interference, then saving it as a file to write back to DVD?

Any advice would be very much appreciated,

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I prefer adding a black border on top and bottom(if necessary) instead of cropping and the hassle of resizing that goes along with cropping. Either way you will need to re-encode it entirely resulting in a difference in overall quality(ie a reduction).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    Thanks for the reply! Adding a black border sounds fine - a very neat way of getting rid of the interference.

I accept the fact I would have to re-encode it - please can you tell me how I would do this? Remember I'm using Windows 7.

Oh, and if I have to download a new program to do that, I don't want to download one that also gives me a load of malware that affects my computer, I've been there before and it's a nightmare!

Thanks for the advice though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The easiest program(for me) would be AviDemux, but probably an older version since they have been removing filters pretty steadily over the past year or more. I use version 2.4.4 and I'm on XP Pro. Blacken Borders is the filter you are looking for.

My normal way is using VDub and frameserving out to an external MPEG encoder but I highly doubt that is what you are looking to get into.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Does the picture interference only appear when you watch the footage on your computer or is it when you watch the DVD on your TV?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could use the 'subpic' method of placing a frame around the image - no re-encoding, just re-muxing.
    The DVD is demuxed using PgcDemux then a new subpic frame is created.
    Finally, the video, audio and subpic are put together using MuxMan.
    The example shows a 40 pix frame (of course the frame would normally be black - I oversized and made it a garish colour for uploading).
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	homer 02.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	30684  

Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!