VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    I'm still getting notices OK of tools updates from videohelp.com 85.17.24.140:49242 and received one such an email today. But I'm no longer receiving notices to subscribed threads from videohelp.com 85.17.24.140:46899 since about February 1, 2015, the last one received. (same IP, different port)

For example there have been posts in a couple of subscribed threads today while I was on the forum and active, but I received no email. My forum settings say to notify me instantly by email of new posts in forum threads where I've posted, but that is not happening. I've looked and they didn't go into a local spam/trash folder. So either you aren't sending them or they're bouncing. Can you check your bouncebacks to see?

Possibly a clue... Clicking the View My Watched/Subscribe threads dropdown shows a list of subscribed threads, but none have the Instant notification box checked. I've tried checking those boxes manually but it won't stick. They're unchecked when I return. I can't find an "OK/Save" (or whatever) button to enter them, if that is required. Any ideas?

XP SP3, Firefox 35.0.1

(P.S. The same thing happened in another forum which uses vBulletin starting about January 31, 2015 (immortalchess.net). So I wonder if it's a bug in a recent release of the vBulletin software?)

(P.P.S. As if to refute me, I just received a couple of email notices in subscribed threads. So it's not entirely broken. However the Instant notification boxes under View My Watched/Subscribe threads remain unchecked. A riddle to be solved...)
    Last edited by JohnnyBob; 15th Feb 2015 at 14:55. Reason: P.P.S.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Did you receive an email for this?

I haven't noticed any problems. I receive all emails as usual.

And I have not upgraded vbulletin in several years. Only critical security fixes.

And the notification checkboxes are only if you want to change from instant to other settings(by click on the Selected threads-button)
    Last edited by Baldrick; 15th Feb 2015 at 15:19.
    Quote Quote  
  3. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Yes, I received that one OK. Maybe it's just encroaching senility already taken over, but then I wouldn't really know... However I suspect a problem with vBulletin and will read a little at their site to soothe my curiosity. The other forum I mentioned which also uses vBulletin is definitely incommunicado via email now. Yours still shows good signs of life or recovery.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Sometimes some emails threat goes to the spam folder some how out of the blue, from any web-site.
    Just do a quick check and take them out as non-spams

hope it help.
    Quote Quote  
  5. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Yes, I know, that happens occasionally.

What concerns me is a possible glitch in the vBulletin software starting circa February 1. It seems more than coincidental that my incoming emails stopped from 2 independent forums using that software on about the same date. I haven't had time to research it yet. They have a website & forum.

I've also been reading about DNSBL/RBL blocks at server level which may filter out incoming mail before distribution to accounts, with or without (black hole) an error notice to sender. mxtoolbox is a good place to begin checking out such hard fail spam blocks.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use mxtoolbox monitoring service and I haven't seen any spam blocks for my server.
    Quote Quote  
  7. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    I don't know about their monitoring service, but a direct query about domain health says you're on one blacklist from Backscatterer, which after reading sounds like it might affect email delivery(?). I haven't heard of it before and have no idea if anyone uses it. I'm not impressed with their lack of a free removal request method. They want money (a donation) which sounds like an extortion racket to me. Who regulates the blacklists, for pete's sake? They're really getting out of hand, IMO.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Silly question time.

Is there more than one 'subscription setting. Here, I get an email for the first post after my own contribution to a subscribed thread but do not get another unless I physically visit that topic again even if I do not post in it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyBob View Post
    I don't know about their monitoring service, but a direct query about domain health says you're on one blacklist from Backscatterer, which after reading sounds like it might affect email delivery(?). I haven't heard of it before and have no idea if anyone uses it. I'm not impressed with their lack of a free removal request method. They want money (a donation) which sounds like an extortion racket to me. Who regulates the blacklists, for pete's sake? They're really getting out of hand, IMO.

Testresult for 85.17.24.140:

This IP IS CURRENTLY NOT LISTED in our Database.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Silly question time.

Is there more than one 'subscription setting. Here, I get an email for the first post after my own contribution to a subscribed thread but do not get another unless I physically visit that topic again even if I do not post in it.
    I think it's enough to visit the forum again. Logged in.

There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Silly question time.

I think it's enough to visit the forum again. Logged in.

There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.
    Cheers. I told you it was a 'silly' question
    Quote Quote  
  12. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Maybe daily/weekly/monthly notification works better than instant(?)...
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!