VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi all,

I have a Philips DVDR3595H DVD reader & recorder that used to work perfectly.

I don't remember exactly when it started, but now the HDMI output is not active / working anymore.
    (only the SCART plug output works => sorry if the terms are not really correct, but English is not my native language).

When pressing OPTIONS button, then selecting SETTINGS then VIDEO OUTPUT, in the last menu the HDMI option is greyed out.
    Same behaviour when using the SETTINGS then AUDIO menu: the HDMI AUDIO option is greyed out.
    So in both cases, it seems the DVD reader has (wrongly) understood that HDMI output should be disabled.

Do you please know how to reactivate the HDMI output ?

Thanks for your help.
    Frederic, from Paris / France

Notes:
    1: The HDMI cable is connected to both DVD reader and TV, and I've tried with another cable.
    2: The 3.06 firmware version was installed, I've installed it again today, it didn't solve the issue.
    3: This DVD player is not connected anymore to the antenna cable (when connecting the cable, the DVDR3595H behavior is not correct anymore (for instance the machine seems to be frozen).
    Quote Quote  
  2. Disconnect the TV and DVD recorder from the power mains. Wait a minute. Plug them back in and try again.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks Jagabo for this advice,
    yet, after trying, I noticed no positive impact.

I'm pretty sure this is not due to TV (which is +/- 1 year old), and perfectly detects any HDMI electronic device connected to it.

On the other side, when "rebooting" the DVD player, I several time noticed that it sometimes doesn't work correctly (impossible to access to some menus, or to stop it, or to launch specific actions from the remote control...). These incorrect behaviours usually disappear after performing one (or several...) other reboot.

If you have any other advice, do not hesitate, as it seems to be tricky.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Zuiplap View Post
    Thanks Jagabo for this advice,
    yet, after trying, I noticed no positive impact.
    I was thinking the HDMI port on one of the devices had suffered a software crash and a reboot might clear it up. Modern devices aren't really off when you power down with the remote control. Unplugging them from the power source would force a full reboot and reinitialize the HDMI ports.

Originally Posted by Zuiplap View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is not due to TV (which is +/- 1 year old), and perfectly detects any HDMI electronic device connected to it.
    Even on the same port that the DVD player is connected to? And you've tried plugging the player into a different HDMI input on the TV?

Originally Posted by Zuiplap View Post
    On the other side, when "rebooting" the DVD player, I several time noticed that it sometimes doesn't work correctly (impossible to access to some menus, or to stop it, or to launch specific actions from the remote control...). These incorrect behaviours usually disappear after performing one (or several...) other reboot.
    It definitely sounds like the player is having problems. If you've checked the above issues and it still doesn't work you're probably just going to have to get a new player.

There are sometimes issues where two particular devices simply can't perform the HDMI handshake properly, especially in the early days of HDMI. But that's probably not the case here since they worked in the past.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Even on the same port that the DVD player is connected to? And you've tried plugging the player into a different HDMI input on the TV?
    Yes I did try with 2 different cables plugged on 2 different TV HDMI input. Same behaviour with the different settings.

It definitely sounds like the player is having problems. If you've checked the above issues and it still doesn't work you're probably just going to have to get a new player.
    That's indeed what I fear, as the device should behave the same way each time I "reboot" it (after unplugging it)

There are sometimes issues where two particular devices simply can't perform the HDMI handshake properly, especially in the early days of HDMI. But that's probably not the case here since they worked in the past.
    Thanks anyway for the time you spent on this topic.
    Have a good day.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Try to factory reset your player/recorder to see if it helps
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks cd090580, I'll try this.

But I believe I first need to save all my HD content (which will take several days before I complete it)
    as the reset procedure mentions " all data will be erased from the memory of the DVD recorder"

Note: reset procedure available on http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/cpindex.pl?ctn=DVDR3595H/31&dct=QAC&faqview=1&mid=L...w_partial.html
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!