VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a DVD that has interactive menus overlaid on top of the video. I am guessing that the DVD creator overlaid am image (of a menu list) on top of the original video and then somehow hot linked sections of that image to link to certain videos on the DVD when clicked on. I use MakeMVK to extract the video files from the DVD but I can not figure how to remove the overlaid menu that covers the video. I have tried mvkextract but had no luck removing the overlaid menu. Does anyone know how to remove the overlaid menu? I have seen clips of the DVD in question that had the menu items removed so I know it can be done. Is there something I have to do to the vob first? Is the overlaid menu a watermark of sorts? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have a short sample from the mpeg2 stream from mkvextract? You can make video samples from any video with makesample.

Because it sounds strange. Maybe two video streams in the DVD. One with hardcoded overlay menu.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I could...but the content is naughty and I am at work. I can extract the video from the mkv as an mpeg but can't remove the overlaid menu using virtualdub or other assorted video editors. It is as if the MakeMKV program is combining the streams into the mpeg without giving me the option to pick a stream. When I open the mpeg/mkv using mkvextract (gui) there isn't a separate video stream for the overlaid menu.
    Quote Quote  
  4. If you're seeing it in VDub then you can forget about removing it. As Baldrick suggested, it's hardcoded into the video and isn't purely a menu. And, since MakeMKV doesn't encode anything it's not responsible, either.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Bummer. =\

I guess I will have to find some way to crack the vob because I have seen clips from the DVD in question that had the overlays removed. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There is no such thing as an "overlay menu" in DVD. That didn't exist until BD. Whatever you are seeing on DVD is part of the actual VIDEO. If it is a video menu, then that's just what it is. Take it or leave it, but there's no "getting around it" or "cracking" it.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!