VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    I transferred a VHS tape to a DVD+RW using a Toshiba machine in +VR mode. I am trying to play the DVD on my computer, but it is not recognizing the DVD. The DVD will play on other DVD players. Is there another mode I should try recording in?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Did you finalize the disk?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You may not have an alternative recording mode with that DVD recorder. For what it is worth I have a Magnavox DVD recorder that only records in DVD+VR mode. I played one of its +VR mode DVDs with both VLC and PotPlayer tonight. The problem may be related to the player you use or your PC drive.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
    Did you finalize the disk?
    DVD+RW doesn't require finalization, and can't be finalized even if someone wanted to do that.

If the disc can be finalized it isn't DVD+RW. Note that sometimes people see the DVD+RW Alliance logo on write-once DVDs or the packaging they come in and are confused by it.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Jan 2015 at 21:12.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    DVD+RW doesn't require finalization, and can't be finalized even if someone wanted to do that.
    Your source for this statement in other threads has been a DVD Alliance statement that says that finalization is "not necessary". NOWHERE in that statement does it say it's "impossible". "Not necessary" and "impossible" are not the same thing. I have no idea if finalization is "impossible" as you seem to think, but your statements to that effect are not proof one way or the other. All I can tell you is that I have burned stuff to DVD+RW discs for testing purposes and it sure seems to be finalizing to me based on what ImgBurn tells me, but I could always be wrong about that. It seems odd that ImgBurn would print the exact same stuff to the display that it does when finalizing DVD+/-R discs, but based on the unclear statements that have been offered in the past, I have no idea if it really can't be done or not as you claim. The DVD Alliance is going to have to say something like "You cannot finalize DVD+RW discs" and they have yet to do so.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Your source for this statement in other threads has been a DVD Alliance statement that says that finalization is "not necessary". NOWHERE in that statement does it say it's "impossible". "Not necessary" and "impossible" are not the same thing. I have no idea if finalization is "impossible" as you seem to think, but your statements to that effect are not proof one way or the other. All I can tell you is that I have burned stuff to DVD+RW discs for testing purposes and it sure seems to be finalizing to me based on what ImgBurn tells me, but I could always be wrong about that. It seems odd that ImgBurn would print the exact same stuff to the display that it does when finalizing DVD+/-R discs, but based on the unclear statements that have been offered in the past, I have no idea if it really can't be done or not as you claim. The DVD Alliance is going to have to say something like "You cannot finalize DVD+RW discs" and they have yet to do so.
    I can tell you that the +VR mode DVD recorder I own does not allow using "Finalize" with DVD+RW.

[Edit]Not only is that menu option unavailable if I try to use it, but the manual for the Magnavox MDR513H / F7 specifically says it isn't available on Page 8.
    Finalize: (DVD+R/DVD-RW/-R only)
    Allows you to finalize a disc containing recorded titles.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 27th Jan 2015 at 10:28.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    For +VR mode, finalizing is pointless with +RW even if it were possible. RW-type discs were designed to be rewritable (hence the name), so why would one particular write be "final"?
    I understand where you're coming from jman98, but I can easily believe that those (and similar) decks don't allow it on +RW discs, whether it is stated plainly or not.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    ...finalizing is pointless with +RW even if it were possible. RW-type discs were designed to be rewritable (hence the name), so why would one particular write be "final"?
    Precisely to now make the disc READ-ONLY, so that it cannot absorb any further writes/re-writes.

Same is true with -/+R blank media (including CD, not just DVD), where you can ADD additional data with multiple write sessions, until such time as it is "finalized". This is what closes out the disc and makes it read-only at this point, preventing any future write sessions and thus preventing any additional data from being added.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    RW discs are NEVER read-only. Only ROM discs and finalized ħR discs.

-RW discs act like read-only discs when they are finalized, but they can also be "unfinalized" and/or "re-formatted", and thus more data can be added/changed/removed. The finalizing is a temporary convenient illusion for compatibility-sake.
    +RW discs don't need to be finalized because they ACT like they are finalized all the time, even when they aren't - until you want to add/change/remove more data, and then they magically let you.

Scott

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Funai has been making all the DVD recorders sold under the Toshiba label for some time, as well as those sold under the Magnavox label, so chances are the OP's DVD recorder doesn't provide the option to finalize DVD+RW discs either. If the OP ever comes back, and provides the model number I'll check the manual to be sure.
    Quote Quote  
  11. The DVD recorder does give me the option to finalize, and I did finalize it. The model number is DVR620.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded the Toshiba DVR620 manual from Toshiba's support website: http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=2805106

Reading pages 8, 9, 32 and 33:
    1. Your Toshiba DVR620 doesn't allow anything other than +VR mode recording on DVD+RW and DVD+R.

2. Recordings on DVD+RW the Toshiba DVR620 can be finalized. However finalization only creates a title menu. Even after DVD+RW is finalized, it is still possible to record or edit without doing anything extra. Simply making an additional recording automatically undoes finalization.

On page 8 the manual says: "Although DVD+RW/+R are playable on other units without finalization in most cases, it is recommended to finalize in order to stabilize the performance."

My Magnavox recorder is different. It likely creates an updated title menu on a DVD+RW disc automatically each time a recording is added or deleted. Since there is no need for the user to do that as a separate step, DVD+RW discs never need finalization to be read by other players.

[Edit]It looks like without finalization +VR mode recordings produced by the Toshiba DVR620 and recorded on DVD+RW would produce a menuless DVD which is still playable, in most cases.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 28th Jan 2015 at 01:16. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kahlan23 View Post
    The DVD recorder does give me the option to finalize, and I did finalize it. The model number is DVR620.
    More information/feedback from you would be helpful.

Did you finalize the DVD before posting here, but the DVD was unplayable by the PC in spite of doing it?

If you finalized after posting here, did the DVD become playable by the PC afterwards?

Did you try any player software that could play the DVD? If you still can't play the DVD, what playback software have you tried that failed to work?

If none of the players you tried worked, did you open the DVD drive in Windows Explorer (or File Explorer if you have Windows 8.X)? Does Windows Explorer (or File Explorer if you have Windows 8.X) show directories including a VIDEO_TS folder? What files are in the VIDEO_TS folder?
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 28th Jan 2015 at 13:07.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I would also suggest looking at the disc with Isobuster. It is designed to work with all kinds of problem discs such as unfinalized ones.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!