VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    With my old blu-ray burner, I could rip blu-ray discs to MKV fine and nothing went wrong. I bought a new blu-ray burner and every time I rip a blu-ray disc to MKV, after the ripping and when I enter the folder where the MKV files are, my Windows Explorer crashes where the error is titled Windows Explorer Has Stopped Working and then my Windows Explorer shuts itself down. I tried the same again by ripping to two different external hard drives and the same happened again.

It took me ages removing the infected folder from my internal hard drive because every time I tried deleting the folding the same crashing happened and sometimes it froze my PC. There were times when the folder of MKV files deleted and came back.

Why is the MKV ripping causing the Windows Explorer problem where it says Windows Explorer Has Stopped Working followed by Windows Explorer shutting itself down? It's most annoying. My old blu-ray player ripped fine for months until it kept becoming not detected where I has to keep on unplugging it and plugging it back in. Just when I thought things are fine, now my Windows Explorer keeps on crashing when I rip to MKV. How can I fix this? Please help. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Windows probably tries to preview/show thumbnail for the mkv and crashes.

Can you play mkvs with wmp?

But this is not any blu-ray AUTHORING. Moving you to our ripping section.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Such things are often related to the thumbnail generation. Do you have any DivX software installed?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Check in Windows application log what file causing the crash
    To open log, click on Start and type Event viewer,
    for example on this screenshot Windows Explorer crash because of MSVCR80.dll:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	WE-C.png
Views:	2519
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	29893
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most of the time, as Baldrick mentioned, this is caused by a thumbnail having problems being displayed. You can verify this by creating a folder that is set to display details NOT thumbnails. Then go to CMD screen and transfer several or all to the new folder, open it in Windows explorer and see if it still fails.

Also most of the time this can be a bad codec installed by programs or codec packs. Keep both to a minimum to be safe. I have had several programs that overlayed the codec for certain formats and it raises havoc with this. Fortunately re installing the original fixes this.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Such things are often related to the thumbnail generation. Do you have any DivX software installed?

I do have DivX installed. Is that the problem?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Budman1 View Post
    Most of the time, as Baldrick mentioned, this is caused by a thumbnail having problems being displayed. You can verify this by creating a folder that is set to display details NOT thumbnails. Then go to CMD screen and transfer several or all to the new folder, open it in Windows explorer and see if it still fails.

Also most of the time this can be a bad codec installed by programs or codec packs. Keep both to a minimum to be safe. I have had several programs that overlayed the codec for certain formats and it raises havoc with this. Fortunately re installing the original fixes this.
    I'm wondering if the cause of this is the Firmware that I installed because this doesn't happen with my other laptop and I never installed the Firmware on that one. The blu-ray burner crashes sometimes instead where it can't rip anything with MakeMKV. One movie got stuck at about 80% as it was preparing and another movie kept getting stuck at about 40%. Back to the Windows Explorer crashes that I asked about at the first place, it only does it with MKV files that I ripped with my new blu-ray burner. When I plugged in an external hard drive with old MKV files that I ripped from an old blu-ray burner, the Windows Explorer error doesn't happen. It only happens from MKV files that I ripped from my new blu-ray burner.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Did you check what file causing the crash in Event viewer?
    Also you can try install Icaros that replace you current Windows Explorer thumbnails

Click image for larger version

Name:	01.png
Views:	549
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	29921
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It does indeed sound like a thumbnail problem but whether the new software is causing corrupted (weird) files or whether the codec used to decode the thumbnail can't handle any variation that it should be able to handle is hard to determine.

It took me ages removing the infected folder from my internal hard drive because every time I tried deleting the folding the same crashing happened and sometimes it froze my PC. There were times when the folder of MKV files deleted and came back.
    The best way to handle this is by going to CMD and moving, deleting, etc. from there. No codecs involved or thumbnails either. You can also use this method to move several of the new files to your external hard drive with old MKV files and see if it causes errors there.

Icaros, as mentioned by roma_turok, would use a known good, or at least different, thumbnail utility and if it works then... its the previous codec for MKV thumbnails before Icaros. If it still fails then I'd say it's probably the saved file is being built wrong by the new software.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by roma_turok View Post
    Check in Windows application log what file causing the crash
    To open log, click on Start and type Event viewer,
    for example on this screenshot Windows Explorer crash because of MSVCR80.dll:
    [Attachment 29893 - Click to enlarge]
    I almost forgot. Thanks to you as well as the others for the suggestions for helping. I'm going to check into it further now. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Budman1 View Post
    It does indeed sound like a thumbnail problem but whether the new software is causing corrupted (weird) files or whether the codec used to decode the thumbnail can't handle any variation that it should be able to handle is hard to determine.

The best way to handle this is by going to CMD and moving, deleting, etc. from there. No codecs involved or thumbnails either. You can also use this method to move several of the new files to your external hard drive with old MKV files and see if it causes errors there.

Icaros, as mentioned by roma_turok, would use a known good, or at least different, thumbnail utility and if it works then... its the previous codec for MKV thumbnails before Icaros. If it still fails then I'd say it's probably the saved file is being built wrong by the new software.
    It happens to me when no thumbnails are showing. This is something else I don't understand.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!