VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Many "free" programs are bundled with software suggestions during the installation. It would be okey if they were good software offers but most of the software are crap like annoying browser addons, custom search engine, more ads, etc.

But you can usually disable all adware if you are very careful when you install it. Never just click NEXT NEXT NEXT FINISH!!! Be sure to deselect, I do not accept, cancel, reject, decline any software recommendations during the installation. And always choose Custom install instead of express install.

Another alternative is to look for a portable version of the software. It's usually a zip that you extract and just run the program directly. They are not bundled with adware. We have several portable video programs in our tools list (Under More downloads check for the portable download). You can also download portable software from http://portableapps.com/ .

Bundleware looks like:

Opencandy examples:

Click image for larger version

Name:	advancedcodecs.png
Views:	1572
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	35104Click image for larger version

Name:	opencandy6.png
Views:	2739
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	29744Click image for larger version

Name:	opencandy5.png
Views:	2743
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	29729Click image for larger version

Name:	opencandy1.png
Views:	2569
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	29730Click image for larger version

Name:	opencandy3.png
Views:	2439
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	29731Click image for larger version

Name:	opencandy4.png
Views:	2504
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	29733

Bundleware / Download Manager examples:

Name:	super2.png
Views:	2463
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	29734Click image for larger version

Name:	super3.png
Views:	2608
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	29735Click image for larger version

Name:	super4.png
Views:	2513
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	29736Click image for larger version

Name:	super1.png
Views:	2335
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	29737
    Last edited by Baldrick; 4th Jan 2016 at 10:00.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Another possibility is to use portable versions if available.
    You can create your own installer from a portable version with software like innosetup or installmaker
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jan5678 View Post
    Another possibility is to use portable versions if available.
    You can create your own installer from a portable version with software like innosetup or installmaker
    Added it. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Programs from portableapps.com can also be installed on a computer, hence that the install path has to be changed and you have to make shortcuts by hand
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks Baldrick for your post. We are too often presented with those "gifts for free". I understand the creators of freeware programs - they want to get some money indirectly, but sometimes it's too much and the addons are just malware.

Your advice about always using custom installation is the basis, but it's not working from time to time, 'cos weird phrasing of description changes meaning of 'accept/decline' to actually something opposite.

There's a few methods I've learned (painfully sometimes ):

- turn off your internet, when installing a program. But some of them leave crap installers/downloaders in TEMP folder, which can try connect to the internet later. Then cleaning the folder can help.

- use your firewall. I personally have Comodo Firewall Free, so I'll use it as an example. I set it to 'Advanced view', what gives more options, then I set 'Firewall' to 'Custom Ruleset'. It makes a pop up window show up each time a program wants to connect to internet during its installation or start. If you trust it you just go to 'Treat as' add it to 'Trusted application'. If you don't like its behavior you go to 'Block' and choose 'Block only' or 'Block and terminate'. Remember to tick/untick 'Remember my action' depending on program/situation.

- install Unchecky: http://unchecky.com/ . It's not perfect, but it can untick many crapware from installers.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I made a few portableapps.com programs that are useful for video editing
    These are in official portableapps format, working great but not released yet:

MkvextractGui-2
    LameXp
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by AllisOne View Post
    sometimes it's too much and the addons are just malware.
    It's always malware. Otherwise they wouldn't need such underhanded distribution methods.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by AllisOne View Post
    sometimes it's too much and the addons are just malware.
    It's always malware. Otherwise they wouldn't need such underhanded distribution methods.
    Good point.

And interestingly the only folks who defend this kind of crap are the folks who distribute it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    But you can usually disable all adware if you are very careful when you install it. Never just click NEXT NEXT NEXT FINISH!!! Be sure to deselect, I do not accept, cancel, reject, decline any software recommendations during the installation. And always choose Custom install instead of express install.
    Another note, Sometimes, the button to 'deselect' is 'greyed out' as though it is not an option, but actually still works. Insidious, , ,

-c-
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Great info, Baldrick! I should also mention that our administrator goes to a fair amount of effort to ensure all our downloads here are virus free and safe.
    Software with adware is generally marked with a warning: 'Bundleware alert! The installation is bundled with adware like browser toolbars, software suggestions, etc.'

If you download from other internet locations, you may not be as lucky.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found this while looking for a portable version of Imgburn...

How To Make ImgBurn v2.5.8.0 Portable

System Requirements: WinXP / Vista / Win7 / Win8
    Writes settings to: Application folder
    Stealth: ? Yes
    Unicode support: Yes
    License: Freeware

How to extract:

1. Download the installer and use 7zip to extract the files to “C:\Unzipped\ImgBurn v2.5.8.0 Portable” or wherever you keep your portable apps.

2. Create a subfolder called $INSTDIR

3. Paste the following text in Notepad (or Notepad++) and save as “ImgBurn.ini” to the “$INSTDIR” folder

[Settings]
    PortableMode=1
    FILELOCATIONS_GraphDataFiles=.\Graph Data Files\
    FILELOCATIONS_ImageFiles=.\Image Files\
    FILELOCATIONS_LogFiles=.\Log Files\
    FILELOCATIONS_ProjectFiles=.\Project Files\
    FILELOCATIONS_QueueFiles=.\Queue Files\

4. Double click ImgBurn.exe and the program will open. You can right click on the ImgBurn.exe file and "create shortcut on Desktop". I then drag the shortcut to my Quicklaunch Bar for easy access.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Advanced Codecs installation:

Name:	advancedcodecs.png
Views:	1259
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	35103

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There should be some policing on this...perhaps a forum post here that contains only programs that have this...people post screen shots and thus everyone knows what software to avoid...Shark007??? whos that?
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    http://shark007.net/ , codecs packs and some useful tools like ICAROS!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    well that web page says:

Thanks to everyone who has made a donation.

I put a lot of time and effort into creating and maintaining these releases.

Do those that make donations get a crap free installer?
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!