VideoHelp Forum

Poll: What Operating System do you use?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search PM
    What OS do you use?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Windows 8/64, 8.1/64, 7/64/32, XP/32.

Most of my PCs run W7/32.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Groucho2004
    Kinda pointless if there is just one choice and I can only vote once. I use at least 3 of the above, not to mention the missing server versions.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Windows 7 64 & 32 and Windows 8.x 64 & 32, but I can only vote for one.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Win7x64, XPx64 and Linux Mint 64-bit /32-bit. I voted for Linux because I have that installed the most.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Windows 7 and MacOs 10.86882588775
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Win 7/64 and 32, Server 2012, Ubuntu, Tails
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have to question the point of these polls when I can vote as often as I want and it counts the vote. Gee, I wonder why Linux is currently in the lead....
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  9. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    XP w/ SP3 (32-bits of course), Vista Ultimate w/SP2 (64-bits), Windows 7 Ultimate w/ SP1 (32-bits).

I stopped messing around with Linux three years ago. Because of the distro hell, because the average Linuxers believe "zee Internet" is a good medicine against insufficient documentation, and because the so-called 'UNIX philosophy' sux suxX suXXX:

Originally Posted by deadrats View Post
    the file hierarchy to this day continues to be one of the dumbest i have ever seen with that silly /, /root, /home, /etc, slash this i say, the /fstab makes me want to f'n stab somebody and the man pages has such a gay sound to it.

in short linux, despite all the progress it has made, is still mired in it's unix roots from 30 years ago. could what's wrong with it be fixed? sure, but the community, the really fanatical, quasi-religious proponents would never allow it, they consider it a retarded badge of honor to smack you head against the wall custom compiling modules and the kernel then editing some obscure config file to get all the features of a high end sound card to work.

me, i'm not that nerdy, i actually like girls, i don't have the time to jerk around trying to get my computer to work, i would rather double click an exe, click next a couple of time, reboot and be off and running in less than 3 minutes.
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 29th Dec 2014 at 19:04. Reason: clarity, or my English still suckxs : -/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like the Linux community guys like polls.
    Quote Quote  
  11. windows 7 and windows XP. Do not want to change.
    Real media really matters. Just get BD DVD discs and say NO to online stream media.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Windows 3.1.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just on my home network, I have every one mentioned running, plus Chrome OS (on a Chromebook) and Android (on a tablet and a smartwatch), if those count. Oh, and my favorite, Vista.

Edit: Sorry, scratch MacOS, but add a couple of iOS's, for an iPad and an iPod Touch.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Win 7 64 bit.

I have to comment on deadrat's comments posted by El Heggunte. Personally, I make my living with Linux and that gives me some insight. I don't really think it's for everybody. The more you are a "I just want to use my PC for web surfing, sending email and shopping online" probably the more you'd be a good candidate for it. Again - I make my living on it. I don't run it at home at all. Why? Windows is where the tools are for video and audio work. I don't play computer games at all, but yeah, if you are going to need special audio/video cards, nope, I can't really recommend it.

His comments on the Linux/Unix file system are just ignorant beyond belief though. There are plenty of legitimate criticisms of Linux/Unix, especially with regards to it being used by non-IT people, but that ain't one of them. Window's file system is a POS. And don't get me started on the insanity that is the Registry under Windows. That is far worse than the supposed idiotic Linux/Unix file systems. The file systems have a reason for their names and honestly, if deadrats are whoever doesn't understand it, that doesn't make them stupid. It just means HE doesn't get it. Man pages are a holdover from many years ago when there was no Internet (yes, they are that old) and it was really helpful to have them available, but the technology behind them is pretty old and they're not of much use to average users. We IT guys still use them though.

I can only say that all of his complaints are even worse if you use a BSD variant instead of Linux and he should be very grateful he never tried that.

By the way El Heggunte, the "Unix philosophy" does NOT suck. You're like a guy who doesn't know sh*t from shinola trying to pretend he can discuss the intricacies of car engines with a gear head. There may be people who are Linux zealots who certainly do suck, no doubt, but the philosophy behind Unix is still pretty good.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search PM
    The problem with Linux on personal computers is that there is always something that does not work when you install it. Asking for help will typically give you answers like "oh that's simple, just patch file xyz and recompile the kernel with options bla bla".

That philosophy is great for hackers but not for people for who actually use the computer for other purposes.

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I've installed ~ a dozen or so Linux workstations and 3-4 servers, and I've encountered a glitch only once (and I am a Linux neophyte). So, YMMV.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use Win7 x64 on my main editing PC because as already stated, "the best tools run on Windows". However...........most of the computers in my house run Linux. Why? Because it just works and I don't have to keep messing with them.

I just bought a new Desktop (i7 4790, Win7x64) because my wife's computer (12 year-old XP 32-bit) finally kicked the bucket. So I bought a new one and gave here my old one (Q9300) and installed Linux on it because I don't feel like constantly working on it when she has issues.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Windows Vista Ultimate Edition SP2 (64-Bit). Haven't had any issues with it.
    Quote Quote  
  19. My main production platform is Win7 64bit, but I keep a dedicated HDD for WinXP 32bit (for playing old games and software compatibility test), and another HDD for Linux Mint (mainly for cross-compiling)

Since I cannot choose 3 options, I voted Win7.

I really wish to see the WinXP goes below 5%... then I can drop software support for XP completely.
    Stopping development until someone save me from poverty or get me out of Hong Kong...
    Twitter @MaverickTse
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    I use Win7 x64 on my main editing PC because as already stated, "the best tools run on Windows". However...........most of the computers in my house run Linux. Why? Because it just works and I don't have to keep messing with them.

I just bought a new Desktop (i7 4790, Win7x64) because my wife's computer (12 year-old XP 32-bit) finally kicked the bucket. So I bought a new one and gave here my old one (Q9300) and installed Linux on it because I don't feel like constantly working on it when she has issues.
    A switch from Windows to Linux!? You are really "nice" to your wife!
    Did she complain anything?

Actually I do not hate *nix itself, but I do hate the Compiling System... it just "does not work", or too often need to patch the build script(or even source code) manually... god damn annoying....
    and I still can't get used to that vim...
    Last edited by MaverickTse; 1st Jan 2015 at 06:37.
    Stopping development until someone save me from poverty or get me out of Hong Kong...
    Twitter @MaverickTse
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    She hasn't complained yet. All she uses her computer for, is internet browsing, facebook and all that crap. Perfect for Linux.
    Quote Quote  
  22. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    By the way El Heggunte, the "Unix philosophy" does NOT suck. You're like a guy who doesn't know sh*t from shinola trying to pretend he can discuss the intricacies of car engines with a gear head. There may be people who are Linux zealots who certainly do suck, no doubt, but the philosophy behind Unix is still pretty good.
    Yes, it does suck, period. deadrats surely was/¿still is? an anti-x264 troll, however he was not a 24x7 anti-anything troll. Sometimes he did say some bitter truths, and the one I quoted is one of them.

The UNIX "philosophy" is as sucky as the fact that the written programming languages are selective subsets of an extremely-ambiguous language known as *English* OK, all that obsoleteness is required for backward-compatibility with tons of software, firmware and hardware, but this explanation is not a good justification. A future when/where the computers and their firmware/software remain essentially similar to what we already know...

... is something highly-DYSTOPIAN to me u_u
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 1st Jan 2015 at 08:29. Reason: better wording
    Quote Quote  
  23. My primary work machine is W7 64bit.
    My Laptop is XP 32bit.
    My on the road machine is a Netbook that has W7 32bit installed, but I actually use it to run Android X86 off a SD card.
    Sometimes I run Amiga OS via Amiga Forever on these machines because I get nostalgic or want to play Wings.

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Depends on what I need to do. I split my tasks between Win7/64 and LinuxMint/64.
    Das Leben ist eine Nebelwand voller Rasierklingen. (C. Bukowski)
    Quote Quote  
  25. I will not run a linux distro ever again until they put all their info on "how to" on one website.
    Having to sift through search engine results for information is ridiculous.
    Oh yeah, also make the instructions understandable for first time users.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, at least with ubuntu, I've had just as quick results getting support as I ever did from the Windows tech support sites.

That's with ubuntu. No other linux distro is close for tech support. That's why I always recommend ubuntu for newbies. While it's not nearly as hard to install linux as it used to be for non techies it may be a seamless install or you may have to do some config, as you often would installing a newly bought copy of windows.

So I do think you should be willing to look under the hood, but I've never had to write bash files.

BTW I don't have ubuntu installed anymore ... just ubuntu based Linux Mint. I'm not trying to sell ubuntu to everyone.

ANd no windows anymore either. I'm also wondering why the hell there are so many linux users listed on that poll.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!