VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Looking for advise (which i suspect will result in "Depends on BluRay/PC Monitor, but will ask anyway ), about a connector with VGA to Svideo/AV. The place in question makes it sound like the lead is usually plugged into the VGA port on the Computer and transfers the signal to SVideo or AV, but mentions that the Video Card on the PC has to support the TV output.

In my situation, I was wondering if I could plug such a lead from a PC Monitor and use the AV from my BluRay because I need a Navigation Screen (using DVD Menus) for selecting a file (from a device plugged into the BluRay USB Port). I ask the place that has the device, but had got no response and their thing is on sale until Jan 31, but after reading another older topic regarding PC Monitors, I'm guessing I'd have to pick the right combination.

For this project I'm trying to keep the Budget as Tight as Possible by picking up an old PC LCD Monitor (4:3), I don't need sound for it because I'm using the Sound for my 30 year old Computer and thought it would be handy to have a Navigation Monitor to select the program which then loads it (through the BluRay). I've look at a LCD TVs which are in the budget ($29), but was very Bulky, I need a screen which doesn't take up a lot of room.
    Tablets don't seem to have the appropriate connection apart from a Polaroid tablet (which was expensive) that had HDMI, though I suspect it was an Output rather than an Input. I've also looked at Portable DVD Players, obviously it has it's own screen, USB, Audio Out, but I haven't seen one which outputs WAV formatted files and am unsure how clear the sound is. My BluRay has HDMI, would that offer better Compatibility to PC Monitor if such a Lead exists (VGA to HDMI)?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CP/M User View Post
    Looking for advise (which i suspect will result in "Depends on BluRay/PC Monitor, but will ask anyway ), about a connector with VGA to Svideo/AV. The place in question makes it sound like the lead is usually plugged into the VGA port on the Computer and transfers the signal to SVideo or AV, but mentions that the Video Card on the PC has to support the TV output.

In my situation, I was wondering if I could plug such a lead from a PC Monitor and use the AV from my BluRay because I need a Navigation Screen (using DVD Menus) for selecting a file (from a device plugged into the BluRay USB Port). I ask the place that has the device, but had got no response and their thing is on sale until Jan 31, but after reading another older topic regarding PC Monitors, I'm guessing I'd have to pick the right combination.

For this project I'm trying to keep the Budget as Tight as Possible by picking up an old PC LCD Monitor (4:3), I don't need sound for it because I'm using the Sound for my 30 year old Computer and thought it would be handy to have a Navigation Monitor to select the program which then loads it (through the BluRay). I've look at a LCD TVs which are in the budget ($29), but was very Bulky, I need a screen which doesn't take up a lot of room.
    Tablets don't seem to have the appropriate connection apart from a Polaroid tablet (which was expensive) that had HDMI, though I suspect it was an Output rather than an Input. I've also looked at Portable DVD Players, obviously it has it's own screen, USB, Audio Out, but I haven't seen one which outputs WAV formatted files and am unsure how clear the sound is. My BluRay has HDMI, would that offer better Compatibility to PC Monitor if such a Lead exists (VGA to HDMI)?
    Connecting the composite video output from an older Blu-ray player (new ones only have HDMI) to an older LCD PC monitor's VGA connection with a composite video to VGA cable isn't likely to work. VGA and composite are both analog connections, but the signals are very different. I guess you could use a composite to VGA converter box, to convert the composite signal to a VGA signal to get a picture on the monitor -- something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-TV-AV-Composite-S-Video-RCA-In-to-PC-VGA-Video-Converter-B...item2ed5788994 Hopefully you can find something similar closer to home that is inexpensive with reasonable shipping charges.

I'm not sure the picture quality would be good enough to actually watch videos, but it might be good enough to use a menu.

HDMI is digital while VGA is analog, so you would still need a converter box not a cable. However, HDCP would be a consideration. Blu-Ray players require an HDCP compliant HDMI connection. Not all converter boxes will allow you to to bypass that problem.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 27th Dec 2014 at 19:58.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, I think this is what I need, it'll set me back $50 AUD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CP/M User View Post
    Thanks, I think this is what I need, it'll set me back $50 AUD.
    I expect it will work at least as well as the sample product I linked to, although I'd be surprised if you couldn't find something similar for less on Amazon or eBay.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmm, I found one on eBay for $19 Dollars, but it doesn't say if it comes with 5v Power Supply.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!