VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I received my favourite album on cd for Xmas in SACD 5.1 format, however my Sony BD S360 Bluray player only outputs it to my surround amp as a two channel mix. I have since learned that SACD can only be played via a dedicated 5.1 output, where my connection is via an optical link. I have also learned that my Sony BD S360 won't output SACD anyway.
    So as I still want to hear my favourite album in this 5.1 format, and my amp has the suitable input (phono connections), I'm looking to upgrade my Bluray player not simply to hear the 5.1 of this album but to a newer gen player with wifi etc etc

Can you learned folks point me to a , preferably Sony , that will play SACD format I have been looking at the S6200 from Sony but not sure it will definitely play this format.

Thanks for any advice given
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No, it seems ALL 2014 Sony models, including the S6200, only support the backwards-compatible "CD layer" of the SACD. IOW, it doesn't even see it as an SACD, but as a CD (and therefore outputs 2ch). Either get a different brand that does explicitly support SACD or find an older Sony model.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The only new BluRay players that I know of that still support multichannel SACD playback are the ones made by Oppo and they are EXPENSIVE!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does anyone know of any older dvd or blu Ray player that supports SACD and has the analogue 5.1 audio outputs ,
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by efiste2 View Post
    Does anyone know of any older dvd or blu Ray player that supports SACD and has the analogue 5.1 audio outputs ,
    Sony and I think Toshiba did make some DVD players like this with 5.1 analogue outputs that supported SACD years ago, but I don't remember any specific models. You'll just have to search on the internet for which models were like this. Amazon.com may have resellers who sell such old players or you may be able to buy them on Ebay, but be aware that buying old/used equipment is not risk free.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like the Oppo BDP-103 has 7.1 analog outputs and SACD support and the website says you can connect this to a 5.1 amplifier, but this player lists for $499.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have found an older Sony DVD player to use to play the SACD format disc, so as long as the bidding doesn't go silly, fingers crossed I should be sorted.
    Going back to a new Bluray player, all the ones I am looking at have no optical output. This is not a problem as they still come with a digital coax, so I can buy a little box that converts the coax to optical, however, it's got me thinking I can save doing the conversion if I can loop the audio from the Bluray player through my tv.
    So here's where you experts can help......If my new Bluray player is connected to the Sony Bravia TV with an HDMI cable, then the TV is connected to the AV amp via optical , Does the 5.1 DTS signal pass through the TV into the AV amp ?

Thanks for your expert assistance
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Have you read what was written in the other thread that is basically about the same thing as THIS one ?!?!

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/369166-No-Optical-output-on-new-Players?p=2364270&v...=1#post2364270

Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!