VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    EDIT: I've decided against this. Instead of re-encoding with even more quality loss, I've just extracted the raw M2V/AC3 streams from the DVD and muxed them into a .MKV.

So here's the deal. I have a DVD of my favorite movie. It was never a popular movie, and it was never released in HD either on TV or Blu-Ray.

I want to encode it for use on my Plex server, and I found if I play back the video in VLC using the Sharpen filter (just slightly) with a value of around ~0.15, it looks quite a bit better with no noticeable defects.

I want to try to encode it to a different format with this minor sharpening applied. What would be the best way to approach this?

This is a one-off deal, I don't care about ever doing this to another movie.. but I want to get the best quality copy I can get from the only available source.
    Last edited by arcooke; 24th Dec 2014 at 15:26.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I see you've decided against it, but if you want to see what can be done upload a short representative sample. Use a tool like Mpg2Cut2 or DgIndex to extract a short sequence with no re-encoding.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!