VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So I'm backing up my entire DVD and Blu-Ray library. My wife has a spiffy laptop that plays just fine, but no Blu-Ray drive. What I'd like to do is rip the episodes to HDD so she can just attach an external 2.5" USB 3.0 drive to her computer and play the .MP4 files from there. And no, for other reasons, getting a Blu-Ray drive for her laptop is not an option. I can also hook up the hard drives to my Samsung Blu-Ray player to play - lots less space than several hundred DVDs and Blu-Rays.

When I rip using the latest MakeMKV, it is picking up 3 episodes per disc, and the discs I have so far have 2 episodes per, so I'm not sure what is going on. BTW I hate this particular series so I don't know if they are proper episodes, but they are about 52-57 minutes each, which should give the right episode length. I checked the episode lengths and they are about right, so I'm not sure what's going on.

I also hate this series so I am not up on what episode is what and such. I know I can go in and watch stuff on the Blu-Ray player and then compare to episodes but I do NOT want to waste weeks of watching stuff, I just want things to get grabbed and archived.

The eventual goal is to have a few 2 TB portable drives containing all the discs I have, and use that to view from the Blu-Ray player with the source as the plugged in HDD.

Anyone have any idea why I'm seeing the incorrect number of episodes? Any pitfalls I need to watch out for with any other discs like that?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I find the easiest way to work out what episode is what is by using wikipedia and then check if each episode has production number listed and go to the end of each episode and match them up.

If there is no production number listed then use the directed by and written by names to find the correct episode. If you use this method you can set the playback to 2x or 4x and scan though the episode without spoiling it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_Blood_%28season_7%29

Sometimes there a 2 of the same episodes on disc, more often than not the reason for this is that the audio is different e.g. one of the duplicate episodes has AC3 5.1 and the other has AC3 2.0.

I hope this helps.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Aah - THAT'S it - multiple audio streams. Now that makes sense. This will totally help. Thank you so much for that. I'm not a serious audiophile - DVD is fine for most things that I do but I'd rather have Blu-ray if available. Now I can just make sure I get the episodes and figure out which has the better sound and just keep those.

I can also look on Amazon Instant Video or Netflix or what have you as I back up episodes to make sure I'm getting the right beginning & end on each one and I should be set - keeps my time to back everything up very low. Then a quick way to figure out how to tag and use different pictures for each episode and I'm good.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Sometimes episodes aren't always in numerical order (by title number) or there appears to be more then one title per episode etc (as per your example).

If in doubt I open the DVD with MPC-HC and use the standard DVD menu to navigate to (and play) each episode. If the View/Information menu is checked, MPC-HC will display the title number for the episode or movie etc, as it's playing. That way I know which title belongs to an episode and which ones to rip.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MPC-HC.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	29518
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!