VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    So, on the file, the movie says it 700mb, but when i put it into AVStoDVD, it goes to like 6gb? How do I fix this?
    Also, I want to get all 8 of the recent episodes of the walking dead onto a disk, is that possible? or would i have to break them up, because again, I'm having the large filesize problem with the videos. I just started learning how to burn DVDs yesterday from another thread posted on here, and I THINK I got it down, but that's one of the problems i'm facing so far.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Your movie is NOT in dvd format so you must reconvert and usually to a higher bitrate=file size to get similar quality.

What is the running time? You can get around 2-4 hours/dvdr in good quality.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    How would I convert it to a higher bitrate?
    the movie is 2 hours and 30 minutes long.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    AVStoDVD is converting it to a higher bitrate = bigger file size = 6GB. Lower the bitrate to get smaller size or change the output file size. Click on the DVD Size in avstodvd.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Ah, okay. So then how would I lower the bitrate/change the file size?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Didn't I just say that. Click on the dvd size-button and lower it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    I'm not sure I understand. Wouldn't that be counter-intuitive? Don't I want the dvd size higher?
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    AVStodvd will try convert your video to the size you choose. If you choose a bigger size it will be BIGGER and not fit on 4.7 dvdr.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    OOOOOOOOOOOH. So what size would you recommend I put it too?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    4.36GiB (4.37GiB is the size of a full-capacity Single-sided, Single-layer DVD). Unless you choose to use Dual-layer discs, then it would be 7.94GiB (just less than the 7.95GiB full capacity).

Or, unless you want more than one title on the disc. Then it is a balancing & budgeting act.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    4.36GiB (4.37GiB is the size of a full-capacity Single-sided, Single-layer DVD). Unless you choose to use Dual-layer discs, then it would be 7.94GiB (just less than the 7.95GiB full capacity).
    So you're saying it'll be fine as long as I choose single-layer? Sorry, I don't get much of the lingo, I'm extremely new to burning DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    As the great majority of the least expensive DVD burnables are Single-layer, then YES, it should be fine. If you are unfamiliar with the lingo, a trip through the "What Is" section above should help.

Understand that you are using a GUI that is controlling a CLI app, and that app is using your size designation as a TARGET to attempt to achieve, but rarely do they get it 100% on the nose with the size, so since YMMV, that is why I suggested a slightly smaller size. (you could try & make it exactly = target capacity. who knows, you might get lucky)
    You DO want to make it as LARGE as possible, as (assuming all other things are equal) a rise in bitrate equates to a rise in quality and filesize=bitrate * running time.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 15th Dec 2014 at 17:47.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You got the answer, just burn to a dual layer disk, no muss no fuss.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by bendixG15 View Post
    But the thread title is "How can I fit big movies into the 4.7gb disk?", so he just redoes the conversion following the instructions here and then burns the result to a single-layer 4.37GB disk.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by bendixG15 View Post
    But the thread title is "How can I fit big movies into the 4.7gb disk?", so he just redoes the conversion following the instructions here and then burns the result to a single-layer 4.37GB disk.
    Nobody reads thread titles
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks everyone, I got it to work
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!