VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks very much to this forum for helping me decide on a home theater system earlier this year. I am making a change now and need a hardware suggestion.

The heart of my system is a Yamaha RX-V377 receiver that feeds 5.1 speakers and collects all my input devices and sends a single HDMI cable through a wall to a Samsung TV in another part of the room.

The problem is that I am dropping the TWC cable box and going with OTA antenna and Roku3. I am looking for a box to receive the antenna signal that:

1. Does not involve monthly fees
    2. Is not increased in cost and complexity by having anything to do with an Ethernet or wifi internet connectivity. The Roku will do that.
    3. It just needs to be a tuner, coax in and HDMI out. Recording and pause/rewind during viewing would be nice, but not essential.

If the TV was right there, I would just hook the coax to it and run audio back to the tuner, but I cannot run wires in the wall to do that now.

thanks very much for any ideas,
    fred
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AnchorMan View Post
    Thanks very much to this forum for helping me decide on a home theater system earlier this year. I am making a change now and need a hardware suggestion.

The heart of my system is a Yamaha RX-V377 receiver that feeds 5.1 speakers and collects all my input devices and sends a single HDMI cable through a wall to a Samsung TV in another part of the room.

The problem is that I am dropping the TWC cable box and going with OTA antenna and Roku3. I am looking for a box to receive the antenna signal that:

1. Does not involve monthly fees
    2. Is not increased in cost and complexity by having anything to do with an Ethernet or wifi internet connectivity. The Roku will do that.
    3. It just needs to be a tuner, coax in and HDMI out. Recording and pause/rewind during viewing would be nice, but not essential.

If the TV was right there, I would just hook the coax to it and run audio back to the tuner, but I cannot run wires in the wall to do that now.

thanks very much for any ideas,
    fred
    If you want to record using a program guide but without paying for guide service every month, you have two choices: You set up an HTPC and use Windows Media Center ot NextPVR, or you buy a stand-alone DVR (Tablo or TiVo) and pay up front for a "lifetime" subscription to a guide service (it is good for the lifetime of the DVR) and you need internet service to the box for the service. Otherwise you have to be content to record using VCR-like timers. PSIP data in the USA isn't really reliable enough to use for a program guide.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try the ChannelMaster OTA recorder. It's on discount right now.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, the Channel Master DVR+ includes "lifetime" guide service in the price, but it requires a broadband Internet connection via wired Ethernet or a USB Wi-Fi adapter to receive its 14-day program guide and software updates.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's coming with the wifi adapter free, just ask for it. They're cutting holiday deals right now. Tell them your friend got that deal. You need your own portable HD, don't buy theirs, too expensive.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks All,

I only have one Ethernet wire going to that room and it will go to the Roku, but if it is just for program guide and software updates I would be OK with using my home wifi. Who would you buy it from?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Contact ChannelMaster direct and haggle your own deal. They're eager to sell units. You can probably get free shipping, no tax, and USB wifi dongle for under $200.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How much recording time would that be standard?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AnchorMan View Post
    How much recording time would that be standard?
    Depends on the Portable USB drive. Mine is 1 TB and it never fills up. You just delete stuff after you watch it. You're gonna like it, my wife even loves it. She likes to watch the Voice, Bachelorette, dance with stars, and never miss a show.

And when there's nothing on tv, you can watch dateline, 60 minutes, 48 hours, etc whenever you want.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks,

If I don't need recording capability or program lists, what do you think about these two options:

1. I can, with a little work, run the antenna coax direct to the TV and then run RCA audio or TosLink back to the Receiver.

2. Does someone sell a quality dumb box that would take the antenna coax and turn it into HDMI for the receiver? I see some like this, but they are no-name with horrible reviews. Also, in this approach, would the TV still be able to scan for channels and compress them so you could just use the channel up button or would you loose that intelligence?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'll be keeping my eye on this thread. I just recently cut the cord (DirectTV), as I found myself not really watching enough of their programming to justify the high cost. Most of the stuff I watch is OTA programming anyways, so I installed a roof antenna.

I've had my eye on these two units for simplicity sake, but am in no hurry to get anything right away. http://www.missingremote.com/review/simpletv-and-tablo-showdown-free-over-air-tv-dvrs

Is anyone familiar with either unit, or best to just go with the ChannelMaster w/ free wifi dongle or build a HTPC? It'd be a nice plus to be able to "sling" a recording to any of my three TV's, depending on which one I'd like to use at the time. Thanks everyone.
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ChannelMaster is a reputable US company that's been around for years. That's why I didn't go for any of the cheaper models.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!