VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi peeps,

My old Phillips Blu Ray gave up the ghost this week, so yesterday I purchased a Sony BDP S1200. I'm very pleased with it so far , but I am struggling to find out any info to make it multi region?.

So far the only way is to either purchase a Universal remote with a 'magic' button Or hand over a £10 to a website which I am unsure if it's trustworthy or not.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks guys !!.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    first off, anything made by sony is almost impossible to hack, especially bluray players. usually only the dvd side can be made region free.
    there are very few bluray players that are region free.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Sorry, I didn't make it clear.

I am only looking to make it DVD region free as I have a few U.S. discs. I'm not bothered that thee Blu Ray is locked.

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by rockdave73 View Post
    Sorry, I didn't make it clear.

I am only looking to make it DVD region free as I have a few U.S. discs. I'm not bothered that thee Blu Ray is locked.

Cheers.
    What part of this are you not clear on?
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    anything made by sony is almost impossible to hack, especially bluray players. usually only the dvd side can be made region free.
    there are very few bluray players that are region free.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You, Sir, need a lesson in manners.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I understand completely . " usually only the dvd side can be made region free." - I am asking how to do this. It cannot be impossible as multi region versions are being sold.

Is this forum usually so rude to newcomers?.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by rockdave73 View Post
    It cannot be impossible as multi region versions are being sold.
    Not by Sony.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I know Sony don't sell them, but other people do. So it cannot be impossible to hack.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rockdave73 View Post
    I know Sony don't sell them, but other people do. So it cannot be impossible to hack.
    You don't understand. If you are expecting to be able to press a few keys on a remote control and make your Blu-Ray player region free for DVD at home, it isn't going to happen. Although there are some region-free Sony models being sold, the retailers selling them have installed custom firmware and/or replaced chips on the circuit board. Not many people can do that at home.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    However well intentioned some of these responses are, if you leave even the tiniest wiggle room like pointing out that for BluRay players unlocking them means only for DVD playback, the newbie posters will seize on that and interpret that as meaning "If you look hard enough someone will with 100% certainty enable you to unlock your player" rather than the "You've got a 1 in 1000 chance or worse of unlocking it" meaning that we mean.

rockdave73 - Good luck. You will need it. Here's the deal. Sony MAYBE - and maybe does not mean probably it means probably NOT - makes 1 or 2 models at most that can be unlocked in Europe. At most. It may be zero. The people who sell unlocked Sonys have hardware modified them AT ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU to be region free. They did NOT take something from the box and just enter a code, they added hardware to it. If you want Sony or Samsung region free in the future, then you absolutely MUST be from a reseller who has hardware modified those players and raised the cost over the store price to cover the cost and work done to make it truly region free.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    His exact present Sony is available in both DVD region free and DVD/Blu Ray region/zone free at 220.com(or whatever it's called).....for an added fee of course.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Programmed remotes can be purchased on ebay to make the players multi region. Surely it should be possible to do this yourself
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by brownray View Post
    Programmed remotes can be purchased on ebay to make the players multi region. Surely it should be possible to do this yourself
    Not very often these days. That method only works if a model with the exact same hardware and firmware is sold in many countries and the manufacturer finds it convenient to program the region coding using a setting accessible with a service remote. These days region coding is more likely to be hard-coded into the firmware or a programmable chip on the circuit board.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!