VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I reaally want to know how to get the same "3d effect" I love it!
    Can someone make a tutorial for me please?
    I'm using FCPX. I've tried months and never get a result near of it
    Im uploading 3 examples.
    Image Attached Files
    • File Type: mov 1.MOV (882.1 KB, 176 views)
    • File Type: mov 3.MOV (1.29 MB, 159 views)
    • File Type: mov 2.MOV (804.3 KB, 168 views)
    Quote Quote  
  2. You need a morphing plug-in for FCPX such as those made by Boris or CHV. Simply cut back and forth between your two camera angles, then use the morph for your transitions.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Wow smrpix thank you sooo much! I love this forum.....and you!
    I guess I need two cameras if object is moving. And I forgot the last example, it is different.
    It pretty hard to imagine how I will cut it because object is moving.
    Image Attached Files
    • File Type: mov 4.MOV (1.33 MB, 159 views)
    Quote Quote  
  4. If you can match the motion closely enough you may be able to pull it off with one. FWIW, I find the background difference in mov4 to be so jarring that it undermines the effect.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I guess you're on a mac but you can do all of it for free with AviSynth under Windows (this may help others wanting to do this too). I extracted two images from 1.mov then used this script:

Code:
    p1=ImageSource("1.png", start=0, end=10) 
    p2=ImageSource("2.png", start=0, end=10) 
    Interleave(p1,p2)
    ConvertToYV12()
    ChangeFPS(framerate*6)
    DoubleFPS2()
    AssumeFPS(30)
    DoubleFPS2() can be found here: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/329754-Help-deinterlacing-IVTC-ing-VHS-material-con...=1#post2042689

Finally I encoded the script with x264 cli to give:
    Image Attached Files
    • File Type: mp4 1.mp4 (213.8 KB, 96 views)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't get it. Can somebody enlighten me? Is it like faux 3D? Ope wants to interpolate frames between the two images?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    I don't get it. Can somebody enlighten me? Is it like faux 3D?
    Yes, you have two pictures taken from slightly different angles and you switch between them for a cheap 3d "motion" effect.

Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Ope wants to interpolate frames between the two images?
    The interpolation makes the motion smoother.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ive seen some morphs that look pretty good, like the michael jackson one, but the main features have to line up pretty close right? Like the eyes, mouth, and ears otherwise you probably get too much blur.

I tried this and it's just not doable without morphing software.
    Last edited by budwzr; 11th Dec 2014 at 21:08.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't get it. Can somebody enlighten me? Is it like faux 3D? Ope wants to interpolate frames between the two images?
    I don't get it either, nor do I get why.....

But in the interest of experimentation, here is my results from using Avisynth + MSU_FRC. Not perfect, but not too bad....
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cam_morph.gif
Views:	395
Size:	707.2 KB
ID:	29071  

Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, that's nicely done.
    Quote Quote  
  11. If you wan't more in between steps with the script I posted earlier you can use more calls to DoubleFPS2(). Or use SmoothFPS2().

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/335908-How-can-I-get-the-smoothest-slow-motion-out-...=1#post2085931
    Last edited by jagabo; 12th Dec 2014 at 09:09.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Das right! The crew at VH can do anything, no matter how kooky. We bad, we nationwide!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Number 4 is really scary.......
    you could export to image sequence and edit the frames, but what's the point?
    Image Attached Images  
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @racer-x, how many non-phantom angles did you include in that (1st) morph? Just curious, 'cuz I intend to use that for some stereo3D work...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    @racer-x, how many non-phantom angles did you include in that (1st) morph? Just curious, 'cuz I intend to use that for some stereo3D work...

Scott
    I downloaded the #1.mov and extracted 3 frames. I saved them as 01.png, 02.png, 03.png and 04.png (duplicate of 02.png)
    here is the script I used:

ImageReader("C:\Junk\Morph\img\%02d.png",1,4,1,pix el_type="rgb24").loop().assumefps(30)
    Trim(0, 29)
    Crop(124, 0, -124, -0)
    ConvertToYV12().MSU_FRC(10, "slow").assumefps(30)
    Last edited by racer-x; 13th Dec 2014 at 04:17. Reason: fix typo
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Thanks! Looks pretty easy.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Dass it Dogg! We be bustin' a boot off in their behinds out here at VH1!
    Quote Quote  
  18. I am very new beginner in this. All those scripts looks pretty scary for me.
    Can someone make a step by step tutorial please? Pretty cool to see that people like it too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jarald View Post
    I am very new beginner in this. All those scripts looks pretty scary for me.
    Can someone make a step by step tutorial please? Pretty cool to see that people like it too.
    Well I've done enough tutorials already on Aviutl and Vegas. You might say I'm all tuted out. Perhaps one of these fine folks will guide you with the use of Avisynth and plugins. It's rather easy once you've got the hang of it, otherwise it's a real head-scratcher.
    Quote Quote  
  20. avisynth, msu frc plugin for vdub/avisynth are windows applications

FCPX has "optical flow" which is essentially the same thing - it uses motion vectors to synthesize new "in between" frames. Use google and search for "FCPX and Optical Flow" , there should be many tutorials

Or the 3rd party plugins mentioned in post #2, OR Twixtor is another popular one
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    Well I've done enough tutorials already on Aviutl and Vegas. You might say I'm all tuted out.
    I hear you man. I used to go all out and lay out all the details of different FX and schitte, practically hand-walking them through every step. And hardly got a thank you or any appreciation out of it. They just grab and go. No love anymore.

Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    avisynth, msu frc plugin for vdub/avisynth are windows applications

FCPX has "optical flow" which is essentially the same thing - it uses motion vectors to synthesize new "in between" frames. Use google and search for "FCPX and Optical Flow" , there should be many tutorials

Or the 3rd party plugins mentioned in post #2, OR Twixtor is another popular one
    Oh thank you, I'll try it, play with these features and see what I get. I'll begin with optical flow.

And all you other guys I really understand you and know what you talking about, and just youre discoussions helps a lot. So thank you!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I've done enough tutorials already on Aviutl and Vegas. You might say I'm all tuted out.
    I hear you man. I used to go all out and lay out all the details of different FX and schitte, practically hand-walking them through every step. And hardly got a thank you or any appreciation out of it. They just grab and go. No love anymore.

Actually, I sometimes make tutorials so that I can see how I did something. I learn things very quickly, but I also forget them just as fast. I guess there's only so much room left in the old noggin......
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by racer-x View Post

Actually, I sometimes make tutorials so that I can see how I did something. I learn things very quickly, but I also forget them just as fast. I guess there's only so much room left in the old noggin......
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've discovered that by eliminating background detail, it comes out much cleaner. I guess too much detail is a bad thing for motionflow s/w....
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	fountain1.gif
Views:	255
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	29085  

Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    I guess too much detail is a bad thing for motionflow s/w....
    All the motion flow techniques work with blocks of pixels -- they look for blocks that move from one location to another. It the background behind a moving object is complex the blocks that fall at the edges of the object can't be motion matched. So you get distortions. Complex features or motions, or very large motions, aren't recognized and you get distortions or blending (most of the motion interpolators fall back on blending when they can't find motion).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, that explains it...

I wonder if you would get better results with a video camera. Say every 10 degrees of rotation, you extract that frame. That should make it easier to motionflow I think.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Here are some examples.

1) Grey.mp4: ball moving across a flat grey background at 3 fps. The ball moves in several steps top/left, to bottom/right then jumps back to the top/right.

2) GreyInterp.mp4: motion interpolated to 30 fps. Notice how it moves smoothly from top/left to bottom/right but distorts on the jump back to the top/right. That's because it failed to recognize that the ball moved from bottom/right to top/left. It treated it as if the ball at the bottom/right disappeared and a new ball appeared at the top/left.

3) Bars.mp4: ball moving across color bars at 3 fps. Same as #1 except on a colorbar background.

4) BarsInterp.mp4: motion interpolated to 30 fps. Notice the distortion at the edges of the ball and the background near those edges. And the distortion on the jump back to the top/right.

These were made with AviSYnth and SmoothFPS2() which uses mvtools2.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by jagabo; 13th Dec 2014 at 21:53.
    Quote Quote  
  29. And one more. This one is similar to #2 above but the ball also rotated about 30 degrees between each frame before the interpolation.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Great job with those reference videos jagabo. They really show what happens when you use motionflow s/w on a moving object against a high detail background.

I took the liberty to try both MSU_FRC() and SmoothFPS2() on the fountain (2 images). It seems in this case that SmoothFPS2 gives slightly better results.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!